What is this forum for?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

From the Guidelines:

"No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum."

Given the mentions in the beginning of this thread about it being forbidden to mention new products: Can anyone point me to a discussion of why this is the case?  The Guidelines talk about forum areas specifically FOR new products and services, and indeed when I first started in SL the forum-at-that-time DID have such folders. (2008.)

I'm just wondering if there's a discussion somewhere of why it was decided to exclude such folders. As I recall they didn't support any flaming or dissing other people's products or anything of that nature, because new threads were made by the merchants themselves about their own products, and (I think I remember) didn't permit comments. So there was no such thing as disputes over one person making false statements about another's products, or similarly obviously objectionable content.

Anyone know the general reasons behind the current policy?

Although Lexie Linden posted an excellent list of "what it's for" right at the beginning of this thread,  it is, in fact, a textual Rorschach, where people reveal much about themselves simple by NOT adhering to a topic. Change the word "forum" for "Second Life" and you encounter the sane question that most noobs ask almost as soon as they step inside... "but what is it for? What do I do?"

Those of us who are more interested in the humans behind the avatars than the mechanics of prim building or the physics of the virtual world can get an awful lot of entertainment from simply reading the posts in this forum. Sure you see emotions and agendas peeping through in the other forums, but this "General Discussion" is much more akin to Joseph Breuer's "talking cure" than any other. Rather than have folks lie back on a couch and respond to me saying "Tell me about your mother,' it's easier to say "Hop over to the 'General Discussion Forum' and start chatting."

"Betrayal oozes out of him at every pore" is a quote worth heeding when you read someone else's post - and when you hit the "Post" button after constructing your OWN comment ;)

Sigmund Leominster wrote:

"Betrayal oozes out of him at every pore" is a quote worth heeding when you read someone else's post - and when you hit the "Post" button after constructing your OWN comment
;)

I will keep an eye on my pores -- so far, this place seems refreshingly benign, even playful.  (I am tempted to ask what happened but will not.)  /me knocks on wood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.