Second Life Crash Error

subwayjarod

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I installed Second Life, and after the instalation it asked me if I'd like to run it, I said yes, went through the tutorial, joined a beginners world or whatever, asked how to turn my graphics options down because I was getting alot of latency, so I closed second life to go into advanced mode, and when I tried to start it back up again, I got this error message:

Gathering hardware information. App may appear to be frozen.

Sending to server, try 1...

I've tried opening it serveral times, looking through google for solutions, and trying to change compatibility options.

I'm on a Windows 7 64bit Home Premium laptop with an Intel(R) HD video card, with 3gb of RAM.

I wouldn't use the standard SL viewer. Too many quality control control issues. Use a viewer made by a third party. You can try Firestorm. Download it from from phoenixviewer.com and click on the downloads on the right side.

You can also use the Phoenix viewer. Download it from the same site. I prefer Phoenix over Firestorm.

My personal favorite at the moment is Singularity. Download it from http://www.singularityviewer.org/downloads

LL's advice when you get a crash logger error is as follows:

"If Second Life crashes during the loading process, you may be using an uncommon combination of settings that we were unable to test during our quality assurance process. This problem is more common in beta and Project Viewers than in released Viewers.

To restore your default settings without reinstalling Second Life, move all of your existing settings files to a different, temporary directory. Next time Second Life starts, it will create a new, default set of settings files. Get help finding your user settings.

If restoring your default settings fixes your problem, please file a bug report in the Public Issue Tracker and attach your original settings files (the ones you saved in a temporary directory) so we can analyze them and solve the problem for future Residents."

You can certainly do that.  Because you have just begun and do not yet have any customized settings to save, I think it's actually easier to simply remove all Second Life files from your computer, download a fresh copy of whatever viewer you prefer, and install it fresh.  That will not affect your avatar in any way.  Your account is registered with LL, and SL's asset servers have whatever minimal information you may have already created for your avatar.  

Two thumbs way up for third party developers. Evidently, they do it purely out of love for SL because I don't see how they make money with their current operations.

A big thumbs up for LL. They get developers to work for them for free! Is that the most brilliant business plan evar or what?

• 6 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.