This game shoul be called Second Crash.

piecheese

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there,

Some information about your system and what viewer you are using will help us help you a lot. Have yuo detached all attachments? I mean absolutely ANYTHING that might be scripted. Quite often, a corrupt script can cause this type of issue.

Need more info for sure. For one what kind of video card and are your drivers up to date. Often times driver issues will cause this. And do you have more than one viewer installed, or have you in the past. You might need to do more than clear your cache. Removing all traces of any viewers on your system, then re downloading the viewer and re installing a fresh version might fix it. Or possibly trying a different viewer. Your computer simply may not like that viewer for some reason.

17 crashes in a row points to some sort of problem for sure, that is not normal by any means.

As the others have said, more information is needed.   "My viewer keeps on crashing" is a bit like "my car won't start" -- could be anything.

If you're using 2.7 or .2.8, then try turning off dynamic shadows before you log in.   Those can cause issues, I know, on log in with some systems, no matter how good the graphics card.

@ the OP: Don't know what to suggest for your crashing sorry, for me SL has been extra stable & non-crashy lately?

BTW: Did you know Second Life was highly inspired by a book called "Snow Crash"?

Just made me think... "Second Crash" may have been a name that was under consideration at some point :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

Snow Crash is a pretty cool book actually.... I'd recommend it!

If SL is not running for you today... & you enjoy a good sci-fi story... maybe check it out :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

I'm having trouble today staying logged in and got two Marketplace delivery failures today, and that rarely ever happens to me.  I've been wondering wazzzzz up with SL viewer today?  Is it the viewer, is it on my end?  I don't know.  Because sometimes it's working, and then other times just when I think viewer is working and ready for a Marketplace checkout; it won't let me log in.  I also did this step by taking off scripted items, but I'm still getting that "darn. you've been logged out of SL" message.   So, I don't even know if I got my things redelivered from Marketplace yet?

The poster is right about SL being like a car, more info needed for trouble shooting.

My record for crashes is about 7, but that was about 3 or so updates ago, which were pretty sucky and affected everyone, not just me.  The new updates have been a little better than the last few but it's still an anti-builder update as there is no way to read prims, not in my viewer anyhow. 

Check your ping and packet loss to sanfransisco or one of the servers if yo ucan. This will let you know if its on your end or if its the sl server. You can either go to speed test.net, and there is a link to check your ping. Or you can do it by command line on your computer directly to a server, but I don't remember exactly how. I quick google search should show you how though.

My guess would be its SL though in your case. They are doing a lot of work to the servers and the code so things are bound to be messed up now and then.

In that case -- if you are using Windows 7 -- look for a file called SecondLife.log in  C:\Users\<your windows username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs.  Open it with Notepad or something, go right to the end, and start scrolling up in the hope of finding something going wrong.

Okay, you're on XP.  SL ran better for me after I did a disk clean-up (although I do have random probs from time to time as with SL you need to be very patient at times). 

To find your disk clean up, follow this path:  All programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Clean up and chose run.

To defragment on XP, follow the same path above, except chose defragment instead of disk clean up. 

Try the disk cleanup tho first as defragging usually needs to be run overnight because it takes a long time. 

Yet for me, SL was so much better after I did a simple disk cleanup. 

You could try the disk cleanup and see if it helps. 

Also, are you on a laptop, wireless, or what exactly?  People need to know so they can try to help you here. 

piecheese wrote:

I'm on an XP.:matte-motes-asleep:

EDIT: Also, I don't speak endless strings of random letters and numbers. :matte-motes-angry:

What I would suggest is that you work back from the end and look for where it starts to say "ERROR".   Then post here what it says the error is.  In my experience, the error messages are usually in pretty clear English ("Can't find such-and-such" or "Such-and-such doesn't exist" or whatever), and even if you don't know what it signifies, someone here might do.

At the moment, all you've told us is that SL repeatedly crashes very early on in the start up and that you're using Windows XP.   We don't know what viewer you're using or your graphics card or anything.  That really isn't much to go on.

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.