Photography question about shadows

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I tried experimenting with shadows turned on for the first time and the results in the snapshots I took weren't good. I'm after a bit of advice on what I may be doing wrong. 

I set my graphics to Ultra and turned shadows on. I could see the results on screen and they looked great but when I took a snapshot, well as you can below, it turned out with a black background and the prims weren't visible in the pictures. 

Am I doing something wrong, is there a step that I've missed? I'm not experienced when it comes to photography but I do want to improve the quality of pictures I take so I thought I'd try out shadows.

I'm a Phoenix user.

Before shadows turned on:

Shadows off.jpg

After shadows turned on:

Shadows on.jpg

You may be right. I'll try Phoenix support. The thing is, the shadows look great on my screen, it's just the snapshot they don't show in.  I've ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 and last time I checked, it was supported.

I know you like shadows, your pics are one of the reasons I wanted to try shadows :matte-motes-smile:

Oh, now I am embarrassed, I don't know why the screenshots would be different from the actual photos? I would recommend trying taking photos with a different viewer and seeing if my results were different, that way I could know if it's me or my viewer, you know?

Ah, I used to have the SL viewer installed but I uninstalled it a few months ago as I hadn't used it since I joined. I probably will install Firestorm, at some point, but not until I'm forced too :-). Thanks for the suggestion though. Hopefully Phoenix support can help, if not, I'll just need to wait a while to try out shadows.

I'll try a screenshot tonight when I get home from work and post the results.  Off to work now, have a good day all.

Huh? That thought didn't even cross my mind and I do thank you for taking the trouble to respond and suggest a way to test it out :smileyvery-happy:

I'm just too lazy to install another viewer and set up the cache to be in different directory and learn how to use it etc.  so I may have to wait and see what happnes when I finally do install Firestorm.

I really am off to work now, I just wanted to clear that up :matte-motes-smile:

• 4 weeks later...

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Um, ok, i will pretend to ignore that cause until recently I didn't know what that meant
:P
but anyways, no! I am a product of my environment! I was born 2.0 I will die 2.0! lol, unless they like come out with a 3.0

OH, yes, there is a 3.0 in beta testing, which means when it is done...it will be Release Candidate for a while and then released! Well, if it a HUGE failure, maybe a 2.9 will be around. But, they said at the SL convention thingy they are hearing people 'loud and clear' about the right side bar of buttons/tabs in V2.0...so, maybe it will die before in 3.0 or just be optional? I am not rying it yet lol. It will crash to much for me to bear this week lol. But, yes....3.0 is alive and trying to struggle to it's feat and make it's way across the net into your computer!

Poenald Palen wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Um, ok, i will pretend to ignore that cause until recently I didn't know what that meant
but anyways, no! I am a product of my environment! I was born 2.0 I will die 2.0! lol, unless they like come out with a 3.0

OH, yes, there is a 3.0 in beta testing, which means when it is done...it will be Release Candidate for a while and then released! Well, if it a HUGE failure, maybe a 2.9 will be around. But, they said at the SL convention thingy they are hearing people 'loud and clear' about the right side bar of buttons/tabs in V2.0...so, maybe it will die before in 3.0 or just be optional? I am not rying it yet lol. It will crash to much for me to bear this week lol. But, yes....3.0 is alive and trying to struggle to it's feat and make it's way across the net into your computer!

Yay!

Charolotte Caxton is a fan of progress

Poenald Palen wrote:

All the 3.0 beta adds is mesh and some bug fixes. Ditching the sidebar is a future thing.

BTW, Phoenix is the only place I get black pictures with shadows on. Firestorm and Viewer 2/3 work fine. Shadows work better in the Viewer 2-based viewers and graphics doesn't have to be set to max to use them.

I've set up Firestorm so I never have to see the sidebar (not even the tabs) and I think I have even more screen space devoted to displaying the world than in Phoenix.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.