Low performance for a region, or normal?

Jo Yardley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've got the feeling that my region is doing rather badly, lag wise.

But I am not sure if this is something normal that happens to many regions or that something is off with our server.

Should I send a ticket to LL so they can have a look or just chin up and move along?

Generally I get 2 or 3 messages like these below every hour;

The object '[OO] Performance Monitor' has sent you a message from Second Life:
Alert! The performance is 49% at 1920s Berlin
http://slurl.com/secondlife/1920s Berlin/12/252/30
Number of avatars: 18
Framerate: 12.194970
Time dilation: 0.210940

Alert! The performance is 45% at 1920s Berlin
Number of avatars: 19
Framerate: 7.890015
Time dilation: 0.155820

Alert! The performance is 49% at 1920s Berlin
Number of avatars: 18
Framerate: 29.559630
Time dilation: 0.669274

Alert! The performance is 47% at 1920s Berlin
Number of avatars: 19
Framerate: 19.088540
Time dilation: 0.469287

Alert! The performance is 43% at 1920s Berlin
Number of avatars: 20
Framerate: 20.568990
Time dilation: 0.518509

That actually sounds light and pretty good for that number of avatars.

You can always run an experiment - no-script Sunday. Turn off scripts for the entire sim for a day - giving you a comparrison 'point of reference'.

I do suggest monitoring individual script use of your visitors during this 'laggy period' to see if one of them is causing it, or if its just the fact that you've got over 15 people in the sim...

I've been in lag free sims with 60 people, and lagged to heck sims with 4 - and had it be caused or not caused by the people there at the time in both cases. I've also been in laggy sims with no people other than me, and lag free sims with no people other than me - but it is more common for it to be caused by people.

(some of the Nautilus City sims are cases of people emtpy sim with odd lag points. Especially near the citadel - as you fly up from the lower ground to the citadel, you can hit lag spikes right as the top rise starts to hit your camera's vision range).

is that the region frame rate? looks like physics is bottoming out and taking everthing with it, although I'm curious what your percentage is generated from? an average of the two compared to normal numbers with the region empty as the 100% mark?

This is what the instructions say;

[OO] Performance Monitor

This is a powerful sim diagnostic / statistic tool to monitor the average performance of a region, detects lag and alerts the owner if the performance is dropping below a given value or the avatar count reaches a specified number (configurable via an easy to use menu system).

It sends an instant message to the owner on sim restarts. It also provides detailed info and statistics about the sim, it's server, the current parcel and the actual weather at the region. (Private or public mode is selectable from the menu.)

*** Floating text (switchable ON/OFF):

- Current framerate (FPS)

- Time dilation

- Average performance in %  (lag meter)

- Number of avatars on the sim

*** Server informations

- Server

- Version number

- Build date

- Last known restart

*** Region informations:

- Region name

- SLURL

- Number of avatars on the sim

- Framerate

- Time dilation

- Average performance

- Prim statistics

*** Parcel informations:

- Parcel area in sqm.

- Maximum number of prims

- Primitives rezzed

- Temporary prims

- Owner's prims

- Group's prims

- Others' prims

*** Weather:

- Time since last region restart or SL midnight

- Cloud density

- Wind direction (in vector)

- Sun direction (in vector)

Technical details:

- This handy tool comes in a fast loading, vintage wooden case

- Visual display of the basic values (FPS and time dilation)

- Custom, very low lag script (~0.005 ms)

- Menu driven configuration (no notecards or channel listeners!)

- Free, lifetime upgrades

The Golden Oriole

Antiques & Curiosities

For what it's worth, Jo, I get worried when the dilation on our sims drops below 0.9 and the server FPS is lower than about 40.  We've had 30 or 40 avs at a time on the sims without getting below those markers.  It helps that we have hardly any scripted physical objects.

Thanks frl Loon!

Here is the most recent alert I had;

Alert! The performance is 38% at 1920s Berlin
Number of avatars: 13
Framerate: 14.131530
Time dilation: 0.375365

But we have about 30847230947328573456730757430480865 scripts, give or take a few.

I was in a region named Diesel earlier today. They have a scipt counter at the landing point. It lists the highest script count and decends. I was amazed to see people come in with 800 to 900+ scripts attached. I thought they could not even TP with that many scripts.

You may want to talk with Penny Patton, the builder there, and find out where she got the meter and if it records script counts on incoming AV's.

I know the region choked and the Physics FPS dropped to 0.2 for a few seconds when the script heavy avatars came in.

Jo, it all depends on just what periods those numbers in your original post are averaged over.  If the average used to calculate the overall % performance is over an hour, 45% is terrible.  Those FPS & dilation numbers are terrible as well, but I'd guess that they are the instantanous readings, not an average.

The point where you need to be worried is if you are seeing long and sustained periods of dilation below 0.90, and sim FPS below 40.  Some people will tell you anything less than 1.00 & 45 is a problem, but frankly they are wrong.  Spikes are expected behaviour when someone enters or leaves, and can easily drop both numbers right down for 5-10s, but that's not the primary thing to worry about.  It's the sustained numbers when nobody is entering or leaving that are the big concern, so the long term averages on those.  Your monitoring tool may or may not be giving you a good long term average, it just depends how it's been coded.  It also depends on the sampling rate of the monitoring tool.  If it doesn't sample the data often enough, the average will not be terribly accurate, as those numbers change fairly rapidly.

I go by the Statistics Bar for monitoring dilation, FPS, how many scripted objects there are on the sim (active ones) and how many objects are on the sim.  Where it is in the viewer depends on the viewer you use but you might you want to give it a go to see if its numbers differ.

My view is that dilation drops several times a day if your place is open to the public, if they are only transient dips then it isn't really anything to worry about if you have a fair amount of traffic.  My dilation briefly dips during a day, but it never stays down for long, and it can drop quite low too.

It would be useful to know what server version is being run. It should be reported in your viewer's Help > About.

Best to cut-and-paste, there are some very similar build-numbers in use.

It's been a rough few weeks for server versions, with some of the causes for lag spikes getting fixed, and some horrid problems slipping past testing. If I have it right, the current server code works OK. I've even seen one or two things improve.

this function that I threw together a while back takes a key and spits out text on script usage of the target...  it's just the function so people can build whatever target selection and reporting they want around it....

string uScriptInfo( string vStrKey ){    integer vIntTmp = (integer)((string)llGetObjectDetails( vStrKey, (list)OBJECT_TOTAL_SCRIPT_COUNT ));    vStrKey = "iB\nScripts (MONO/Total): ( " +              (string)(((vIntTmp = (integer)((string)llGetObjectDetails( vStrKey, (list)OBJECT_SCRIPT_MEMORY )) >> 10) - (vIntTmp << 4)) / 48) +              " / " + (string)vIntTmp + " )";    if (0xFFFFFC00 & vIntTmp){        vStrKey = llInsertString( vStrKey = (string)llRound( vIntTmp / 10.24 ), llStringLength( vStrKey ) - 2, "." ) + " M" + vStrKey;    }else{        vStrKey = llInsertString( (vStrKey = (string)vIntTmp), 1, llList2String( , (vIntTmp > 999) ) ) + " K" + vStrKey;    }    return "Memory Used: " + vStrKey;}

My mainland Adult quarter-SIM over in Zindra took a big performance hit over the last month.  I don't use the [OO] meter; I use Conover's; so, our numbers are not directly comparable.  Still; its been a big change.  Most of the rest of my mainland Adult SIM is empty, being up for sale by a realtor.  So, I am wondering if LL has started virtualizing their servers.  I'm getting performance bleed-over from clubs a couple of SIMs away.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.