Is it still possible to get texture uuid?

w1zard

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Coincidentally, this bit me yesterday when I made something that uses the Advanced version of the Phantom Child script in the wiki library.    This tries to preserve the prim's texturing when it works its magic, by reading and then reapplying llGetPrimitiveParams(PRIM_TEXTURE), but if the object isn't full perms it removes the texture altogether.   

I'd been thinking of trying to revise that script using llGetLink and llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast, so I didn't have to put a script in each child, but I guess this rather snookers me.

So this is what I am using to load the texture.

link_message(integer sender_num, integer num, string list_argument, key id)     {        list re_list = llParseString2List(list_argument, ["|"], [""]);    // Typecast string back to a list        //llSetTexture(llList2String(re_list,0),ALL_SIDES);        llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(LINK_THIS,[ PRIM_TEXTURE, ALL_SIDES ,(key)llList2String(re_list,0),<1,1,1>,<0,0,0>,0.0]);    } 

The texture that is being provided via the message, is the name of the texture within the inventory.
I want to try this with the texture key because all the other prims dont have the textures in their inventory, but each have a copy of this script instead.

But my main script which sets the texture in the first place, then does a link message to all other prims, only seems to return the inventory name for the texture, I'm still unclear as to weather you can even get the texture uuid anymore? 

use volume detect before linking instead of the phantom child trick... easier to set up, survives rez/take/region-cross, and doesn't need the script to remain to work... the only draw back is a little strangeness with collisions for the root script if used... there will be an additional option once mesh is commonly available

Thanks, Void.   I've always wondered why the volume detect trick isn't more widely used.  I only found out about it by accident, and, because it's so much simpler than the normal "phantom child" script, I wondered if it was unpopular because it's unreliable.    I know you can't toggle between phantom and non-phantom using it, but, other than that, it's always seemed to me a much easier way of doing the same thing.

the ability to toggle, the weirdness with collisions, and (re)linking troubles are the only factors I know of....  but aside from those concerns it's far more stable a solution. I've used it without problems in two commercial builds, and had zero complications.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.