Those awful smilers--Why?

Venus Petrov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen the point of these things, but have seen people wearing them a lot. To me, in a digital world where so many of the senses and subtleties are lost already, I don't really understand why someone would set one of the few emotives we do have to run automatically regardless of what's goin on. I use a set of gestures for smiling/emotion because i prefer to convey such things when the situation actually calls for it, not just when a scripted timer says it's time to smile now.

All Smiler / emotive attachments use the same default set of "animations" that are hardcoded into the viewers. I say animations in quotes because they are not really animations, they are mesh morph point sequences. They don't move the individual mesh parts from point A to point B like a standard animation does, they actually alter (morph,change) the head shape (just like editing your appearance) to create the effect of smiling. Nothing else in SL can animate your face except these hardcoded morphs, and they are the same ones found in the gestures menu .

I have a friend that loves her smiler for her avatar and it makes her avatar look really ugly and creepy :matte-motes-sour:, lol.

So, when I asked her why she likes to wear that all the time, She said that it makes her avatar less robotic, cause avatars with no facial expression comes off very robotic to her and she wants her avatar to have a friendly and kind appearance.

After awhile I got used to it and I kind of like it, it's rather cute, it adds character to her.

Venus Petrov wrote:

I think that first large table is a list of the animations you get when you first rez.  They are a bit different from the smilers I am talking about.

No, they are just a list of animations that are already on the server, placed by LL, anyone can call them by script and some are by the built-in gestures.  The facial animations that are listed in that table are the ones used in the "smilers."  They just call that particular animation on an intermittent basis.  I have a HUD that will play them all on a button click too. 

Penny Patton wrote:

Like most things in SL that often look awful "out of the box", the use of an expressions HUD for smiling, laughing, etcetera
can look good if used right and with a little work.

OK, you have taken time to get the right lighting, pose, and angle to snap your smile.  When I see someone inworld with one of these random smilers, they are not posing for photos. They are smiling and everything and nothing.  Different scenario.  Your snaps look nice.

Venus Petrov wrote:
OK, you have taken time to get the right lighting, pose, and angle to snap your smile.  When I see someone inworld with one of these random smilers, they are not posing for photos. They are smiling and everything and nothing.  Different scenario.  Your snaps look nice.

I used my own custom windlight settings but those are all from my day cycle at the time I took the screenshots, not deliberate choices in lighting. That is a good point, however, the vast majority of people use LL's default windlight settings, which are not kind to the avatar at all. SL in general is capable of looking so much nicer when you have well made sky settings.

However, you are also right that in the first screenshot at least I use a much bigger smile than I'd wear casually.  The second screenshot is a less emphasized smile I do wear around more casually. Not all the time, but when I'm particularly happy. I also set up a smaller "closed mouth" smile that I wear more often. That one uses just an adjusted version of my shape rather than a facial animation.

I suppose the point I was trying to make is that I agree, a lot of people walk around with a scripted facial animation and they put little or no attempt in to make it look good, but at the same time it is possible to make it look good and that in real life people do occaissionally walk around with a big, toothy grin. 

Too often, avatars in SL have that blank, emotionless stare to them and I find that even more unnatural. I'd like to see more done with avatar facial expressions.

If I were LL I'd probably find a way to let people create custom facial expressions via the appearance editor and have them triggered by gestures in such a way that your avatar's expressions were affected by your chat text. Put in a smiley and your avatar smiles until you type a trigger for another expression.

Hi, Penny, not disagreeing, but can't you already do that? If I am not mistaken, you can have gestures activated by chat, for example, if I use colon end parentheses as the trigger, whenever I type that I could in essence smile, although briefly. Or do I have that all wrong?

You can trigger SL's imperfect facial animations using gestures, but only for a moment.

I'd like LL to add the ability to actually define your own facia animations via the appearance editor (with more options than are currently possible) and set length of time for them to be present after triggered. 

This is an interesting question, Venus! Smilers just do not look right on my av; maybe I'm just too used to seeing myself look slightly annoyed. :smileyvery-happy:

But the funny thing is...I have two good friends who use smilers all the time, and it works for them. I don't just mean appearance-wise, but it really suits their personalities (and I mean that as a compliment). I hope they will chime in here with their thoughts. 

In a perfect world, I could set them to trigger based on typing smileys.

Can I, with gesture setups? Even if those smileys are in mid sentence?

I use things like:

;)  :| :smileytongue: :D a lot

But I could see defining animations, which could be triggered by having very short sequences at the end of sentences.

Pussycat, this would be different than smiling randomly and (hoping?!) that the smile relates to something that someone said, did or whatever.  That is, there is a logical reason for the smile, even if it is a passing thought in the mind of the smiler.

What prompted me to write the OP was seeing a patron in a club yesterday with one of these smilers.  She was standing there with that goofy smile flickering across her face every 5 seconds or so..same smile...same frequency...at nothing and at everything.

haha I think its awful that some avatars NEVER smile. Sorry to the people out there who hate seeing smiles!

Its partly my fault you see so many smiling avies! :) I've been giving away my free smile attachment for 3 or 4 years now :) thats a lot of smiles!

I've had a facial expression auto emote for about 3 years now. It activates an expression (eg. smiling or frowning) when trigger words are typed by me in local chat (eg. I say "worry" or "worried" in conversation and a worried expression is triggered). I don't think anyone has ever commented one way or another on my auto emote, so it can't be too annoying or irritating.

"AH HAH!  /me points

So, YOU are to blame!  LOL"

LOL Yes I think I am :matte-motes-asleep-2:

/me quickly calculates.... let's see.... several smile grabs per day (~7) * (365 days a year) * 4 = ~10220 smiles served.

So there is maybe around 10000 randomly smiling avatars out there --- that is all my fault :matte-motes-evil-invert:

I agree it is maybe highly inappropriate.... if you forget to take it off during a serious or sad convo topic... but there are worse smile emotes....

repeatedly grinning from ear to ear every 5 seconds & then stonefaced like a freakin moron flip-flip-flip :matte-motes-big-grin::matte-motes-not-entertained::matte-motes-big-grin::matte-motes-not-entertained::matte-motes-big-grin::matte-motes-not-entertained::matte-motes-big-grin::matte-motes-not-entertained::matte-motes-big-grin::matte-motes-not-entertained::matte-motes-big-grin::matte-motes-not-entertained:

Hehehe.... That was all I could find back in the day which is why I decided to supply a better one... 

My free smile is random, but usually waits more than a minute between smiles & sports two different smile types randomly:

:matte-motes-smile:

:matte-motes-big-grin:

hmmm... maybe someday i'll make a non-random proper chat-interpretive emoter as version 2.0 of this gift.... :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.