How much RAM does SL use?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have four gigs of ram. I can run windows in ultra, have gimp open with 10 large textures open, multiple browser pages open, and Blender open all the same time. Never have I ran out of ram. Windows will manage ram and send it to where it needs to go. Tom's hardware did a test once on how much ram the average person needs. I think they tested with 3 gigs, 4 gigs, 6 and 12. There conclusion was that unless you were running a very ram intensive program (which sl is not) most could get away with 3 gigs easily, even for a gaming rig. Upping the ram beyond 4 gigs offered no performance improvement what so ever on any of the games they tested. Even while running multiple programs in the background.

I know people on sl that have very high end computers, newest and badest video cards with multiple cards running SLI, raid configured hard drives, 12 gigs of ram, i7 intel processors and over 10 mbps of bandwidth. Yet they crash, some very often.

My girlfriend runs on an amd 2.8 dual core with a 9800 GTS+ video card (512 of video ram), 3 gigs of ddr2 and a single 72000 rpm hard drive and we don't have a super fast connection either. She rarely crashes or has a ton of lag.

I have an amd 3.0 quad core with 4 gigs of ram and a GTS 250 card (1 gig of vram), an ssd drive for my OS and  7200 rpm sata drive for everything else. I rarely crash, and when I do its becuase sl logs me out or my internet burbs. And that is with all those othe programs running as well.

Another thing to consider is how Windows manages memory, especially windows 7. Don't expect to see much free memory if any at all. Free memory is wasted memory and windows 7 does its best to use all the memory for something. And with the way memory and virtual memory works you should never run out of memory or crash from not having memory. Unless you have turned virtual memory off for some reason.

I have actually disabled it on my system before with 4 gigs of ram and still not ran out memory though.

I have ran sl on computers with 512 megs of ram and not crashed from lack of memory. Sl didn't run very well because these comptuers had slow processors and poor video compared to newer ones. But it didn't crash because of lack of memory.

And in windows 7 the best way to monitor memeory is with the resource monitor. Give you way more info than the task manager and it has been completely overhauled in windows 7.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.