Threats From a Linden??? Maybe????

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a rather long history of butting heads with an avi that used to claim to work for LL and now claims that he is Joshua Linden and can do nasty things to me. The history and reasons are long and actually rather minor, but the threats are current, how do I find out if this is true? I doubt it is, but would be nice to know. Either way I could use some guidence on a course of action.

Thanks

Not uncommon and he is BS'ing you.  A Linden would loose their job in a new york minute for threatening a resident and though some aren't the nicest to work with in support, most are really good people and easy to work with.

In the end, it's just a game. Don't let them get you down and just mute him if he hassles you anymore.  Remember, it takes two to fight.

You can't find out for sure, but it is a ToS violation to present yourself as a Linden and not be a Linden.  You can AR this person.   Include any chat logs where the claims were made..........if this person is not a Linden, he's subject to a ban.  If this person is a Linden, then he's subject to being fired as well as a ban.

I don't think it's a Linden.  LL employees are many things but they are, for the most part, just people like you and me with a job to do.  And they act professionally too (in my experience anyway).

Korben Rage wrote:

I have a rather long history of butting heads with an avi that used to claim to work for LL and now claims that he is Joshua Linden and can do nasty things to me. The history and reasons are long and actually rather minor, but the threats are current, how do I find out if this is true? I doubt it is, but would be nice to know. Either way I could use some guidence on a course of action.

Thanks

Whoever this dude is, he's enjoying playing you, that's for sure.

Peggy has given the most comprehensive response - I would follow her advice.

And stop butting heads with people. Life is too short and SL is for fun. AR, mute (without telling them you are ARing or muting - actions speak louder than words) and move on.

It is highly unlikely that a Linden Lab employee would behave in the manner in which you describe so I would not worry about it too much. You can go to his profile to see if it has the Linden Lab icon. If this person says he is an alt of Joshua Linden just tell him thank you very much but I will only do business with your main. :smileysurprised:

Picture 5.png

It won't come back to bite you.  If you did anything to warrant action by a Linden you would be notified, suspended, or otherwise disciplined.  A Linden won't threaten you.  A Linden might ban you but there will be no threat.  And since this in an ongoing thing it's highly unlikely this person is a Linden.  AR him.

Korben Rage wrote:

Thanks

AR for harassment and impersonating a Linden. (^_^)

If he's not who he says he is, he'll be banned. (^_^)

If he is, he'll get fired. (^_^)y

You're unlikely to hear back.

But if it results in the person being banned, their profile will say 'disabled'.

I would suggest also IMing Joshua Linden, the real Linden, and letting him know personally.

"Hey somebody's impersonating you, I filed an AR but check my chat log at X:YZ SL time."

me personally I would have called his bluff and told him to show me something only a linden can do. Lindens can take objects at will, kick you from any region and have your profile info. Among other things. I would have told him to put up or shut up. And then when I filed the abuse report I would have more to add to it lol.

I think you did the right thing by IMing joshua, curious to see if he responds.

Cabbage Acanthus wrote:

Dude, 

The absolute fastest way to lose an account forever is to claim to be a linden when one isn't.  AR this fool and attach copies of the chat or IM log.

This is true. A rather well known former forum resident pretended to be a linden once for a very short encounter, using a display name I think and the letter 'i' in caps, and was perma-banned.

The lindens have all of zero sense of humor or patience with people who pretend to be one of them.

Joshua's profile hinted at being a system linden. A linden bot or something used to perform maintenance functions. Unless I misread what I saw - but it seems like he's unlikely to ever see or respond to an IM.

Some lindens are very customer service inworld, some are bots used to functions - like governor linden - and some can be both. Management at LLs all "seem" to have a linden somewhere, not all of them ever use it though... :)

Rodvick seems to have gotten very adept at using his Linden. The never-confirmed and probably not actually true joke about 'M' was always that he didn't even know how to log in and probably had someone from IT at the keyboard with him on the mic anytime he showed up for a public announcement.

It's pretty common for griefers and bullies to pretend they are a Linden. This person just wants to intimidate you. Don't let them. You can simply mute them (problem solved right there), or if they engage you in conversation again file an AR against them.If you don't want to mute...just keep filing the reports, eventually they'll end up suspended.

It's always amusing how many people think they can go around and harrass others. I especially love the profile disclaimers. "You cross me and we'll all come after you"  Really? What, with pixel punches? Yeah? Well I got a mute, ban, and eject waiting for you. I love stupid people, they always provide constant entertainment.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.