Plain English Parameters

Marcthur Goosson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it possible to get a simple understandable explanation of the 3 values in the upload window which make the PE count.

I know it depends on many many parameters.

But there should be a rule of thumb for  these 3 values.

e.g. more tri's is higher download, custom made physics shape (boxes) is lower physic, large object is higher server, custom or generated LOD's, etc etc.

All the info is now spreaded out in the forum in technical words, formula's, and more complicated words, not to mention the definitions changed a lot.

Sort of explanation for dummie's please. In 1 place accesible for everyone (sticky post?)

parameters.jpg

Prim equivalence (PE) = charge against parcel prim allowance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PE = greater of ( dowload_weight, physics_weight, server_weight )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download (weight) : Bigger for more triangles; smaller for more stringently culled LOD meshes. Effect of lower LODs diminishes with size.

Physics (weight): very complicated, depend on physics type ...

...type = Convex Hull: default shrinkwrap of (each) whole mesh, independent of size.

...type = Prim: maybe (A) triangle based: (youi didn't do "Analyse"), which depends especially on number of smaller triangles; increases as they gets smaller; switchges to Convex Hull at 0.5m in any dimension. (B) Decomposed (you did do "Analyse"). This is a collection of convex hulls; independent of size.

...type = None: used with linked transparent prims for physics shape, mesh count as zero, linked prims are cheap if they are perfectly circular cylinders or spheres or boxes stretched on natural axes. Any other distortions or cutting can make them VERY expensive.

...all: physics weight increases if the object (linkset) is made physical.

Server (weight): Only applies at linkset level; Just depends on number of prims (each mesh = 1);  For N prims, it's (N+1)/2, but increases if any prim contains a script and/or if the linkset is made physical.

----------------------------------------------------------------

What could be more simple than that ? :matte-motes-wink:

Corrections wellcome.

One more thing - Upload cost is not the same as the object cost after it is uploaded and you change parameters like size or physics type.

For small objects (a few meters in size) I have been getting values of 300-500 triangles per download PE on the high LOD, but it depends on the file size of the Collada .dae, which in turn depends on how many surfaces (different textures) have UV maps, and whether the model has skin weights to use as an avatar attachment.  It also depends strongly on the lower LOD complexity. For larger objects you get much fewer triangles / PE because the higher LOD models are seen at longer distances.

They could put a little chart with a 5 dead avatars thingy. I mean, it would show how many have logged off because they can't stand the frame rate and figure they should give up on SL forever...or at least till they have a new PC this years end.

Like, little avatars in away mode and crosses on thier eyes. BUT, that makes people laugh and some might figure it if un to kill user stats when they see this lol. Since you make your own game, it might become a game to see if you can actually see the avatars log out and IM them to ask why they left and such...but I doubt it. Hey, you never know though.

But, yeah....all this stuff about numbers usually doesn't happen I don't think. I remember trinagle count limits and texture size limits. KB limits are abviously simple. But all these are sort of more restricting and the other method is to review and so on. Many games might just get word back from testers and then cull the heavy bits in the corner of that one track, change the barn beams and pull the tools on the workbench and replace them with a set of paper plans that are flat and painted into a texture already on the bench etc. You dont' have there here. LL can't fly around and tell people they are pushing away customers. They can't make you pay for each KB or MB of space you use and charge for bandwidth. I guess you see 3 numbers and one evaluation thingy number to help guide you and a cost instead of basically looking at a bill with 20 numbers, some of them charges each month.

Now, if they billed for it all....well, you know some would build very light and enjoy having a sim for like 30USD a month instead of 100 or so!!! Some don't mind paying 500....well...they might. But, either way you get more spartan sims and a good focus on creations being used that are light. BUT, it is a nightmare as people start to break down you business model, you charges and your expenses and call you greedy each month and resent paying anything! Right now, you see only linden dollars and don't know what is happening as far as profit specifics. YOU don't say "wait a minute...why do I pay so much for physics bandwidth?" or whatever.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.