Will the U.S. Deficit effect you and your SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And those same big guys would be doing better if the economy were healthy...........and so would the little guys. 

Yeah a few "big guys" are doing very well.............and most are not.  My big guy is hanging on (like me) but he ain't doing well by any stretch.  Some businesses are well suited for economic slow downs...........oil, Internet services, grocery stores, and government contractors.  The rest (which is by far the majority) are in the same hole I'm in.  Waiting for someone to get their head out of their a**. 

You know, economics is not that complicated.  You have credits (income) and debits (expenses).  When your debits exceed your credits you have to do something.  Either increase the credits or decrease the debits.  If you increase the credits it works if you don't also increase the debits (to a point).  When you are paying over 20% of your credits to finance the increase then you get where we are now...........you can't do one.  You have to do both..........and since we can't afford increasing the credits without decreasing the debits a few percentage points more than the increase you get into a real mess.  What can I do without and stuff...............it ain't easy when you are an addict to all that stuff you want. 

The debt limit has to be increased (and i"m sure it will be) but with that increase the spending has to be at least equal to the increase to just keep floating.  If you want to lower that debt the spending cuts have to exceed the debt increase.  There's interest to account for too.  It gets messy when you failed to keep proper books for decades like this government has.  Shared sacrafice.............that means the idiots who put us in this position need a little sacrafice too.  I didn't spend that money but now I have to pay it.  Give me a bone so I can pay my share..........and the bone I want to back to the steady, well paying job I had up to January 2009 when someone thought it was good for the economy to spend even more of that money we don't have.

You loose the argument when you fail to see what caused the debt crisis.  It's spending.  It's not how much the "big guys" made.  That big guy who made that money got there by paying little guys to get him there.........that's how capitalism works.  It fails when some government wants to take the big guys money so the government can give to some little guy......all so that little guy will help the government stay in control.  And that's where this President's heart is..........keep the little guy little but toss him a bone so he'll think I'm his savior.  It's the big guys fault that he paid you so little of his money.........here, take this health care package (boy I bet that tastes good with ketchup).

To put in a perspective on "jobs" , according to a few recent studies, the majority of hirings will be comeing from 2to5 man operations looking to expand, not massive well established  folks. As they have taken the approach to staying lean and buying operations and slimming them down to suit their purpose. Instead of hiring folks, thats why you hear about 3 billion profit margins and then the next day 1,000 pink slips to employees. 

As the world goes digital, you need to learn how to run computers not keep track of numbers sadly. 

Mayalily wrote:

I think the debt ceiling will be raised.  I don't see any other choice? 

There are other options. Three actually but they seem to be anathema to Americans:

1] Raise taxes especially on the upper income brackets.

2] Raise corporate taxes.

3] Cut the military budget. A 25% cut over the next 10 years would be a good starting point. The US military budget is way out of proportion to average military expenditure in the rest of the world.

@ Dresden:

Your critique of the obvious failing of 'trickle down' economics is correct. Keynsianist approaches work better. Give the people at the bottom of the heap money to spend and it will immediately go into economic activity to buy goods and services thus stimulating the economy and increasing employment.

No, the big guys are doing better than ever.  Your guy is another small fry.

Spending is not what caused the debt crisis.  Spending is necessary to prevent an economic crises.  Consumers were not spending disproportionately to productivity either.  There's enough productive capacity for a healthy economy in the US.

If the myopic trickle down myth were remotely realistic, then since the big boys owned a bigger percentage of the biggest economic pie in human history, the economy would be thriving and the little guy would be doing fabulously well.  So take a look around.  Is that what you see?

Alazarin Mondrian wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

I think the debt ceiling will be raised.  I don't see any other choice? 

There are other options. Three actually but they seem to be anathema to Americans:

1] Raise taxes especially on the upper income brackets.

2] Raise corporate taxes.

3] Cut the military budget. A 25% cut over the next 10 years would be a good starting point. The US military budget is way out of proportion to average military expenditure in the rest of the world.

This I can agree with.

You know, Jacki, the problem isn't what to do, it's how to do. The what is clear. It's like a morbidly obese person asking what to do to lose weight. The answer is obvious: diet and exercise. 

What's the answer for a degenerate spendthrift that spends every cent they get, maxes out all their credit cards, and never saves for a rainy day? The what is obvious, cut the credit cards up and no spending in excess of income. The how however is a bit like trying to get a junkie off herion.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

I told you to stop saying stupid stuff.......it's unbecoming to you.  Smart people say stupid things too.  And what you said was stupid.  I didn't call you stupid.

Okay. But let me point out that the analogy you used in your sarcastic and mean spirited reply to my statement is a disingenuous, bordering on dishonest, assessment of what I had actually said. If you want to equate governmental finances with personal finances a more accurate statement would go something like this:

You take out a loan to put yourself through school... thereby, not only bettering yourself, but making it possible to get a better job where you'll make more money to eventually get yourself out of debt and be in a better financial position in the long run. Stupid, right?

Sometimes rational people react irrationally... I won't hold it against you.

...Dres

Alazarin Mondrian wrote:

@ Dresden:

Your critique of the obvious failing of 'trickle down' economics is correct. Keynsianist approaches work better. Give the people at the bottom of the heap money to spend and it will immediately go into economic activity to buy goods and services thus stimulating the economy and increasing employment.

Exactly, businesses are not going to hire people to create products that no one is going to buy... no matter how much you cut their taxes.

...Dres

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

I was just realizing how it might effect me and the way I live in SL. Although SL is free, I have a lot invested in it.

Will the deficit effect you? Will you have to downsize? close shop? Sell your Ameretto horses? How will this effect LL now that Mesh is out? Will we be able to afford it? Have you even thought about how it might change your SL or your RL?

Lets discuss?

probably not me..i was ready for the last crash well before 2008..i'm just as ready for this one..

a lot think that the bailout was bad..i remember when the fed was waiting for the word..they had opened up borrowing for those waiting on the bailouts..

i believe the fed was lending out around 450 billion a day..they totally nerfed the bailout  long before it was approved..

then china bails us out with a loan and rules were made that this money will only go for certain things..well that lasted a short bit till the grubby fingers started to  allow that money to be dipped into by places that were told they were not getting any of it..

we've borrowed from peter to pay paul and now peter is on the phone..

we can't just print up money over and over and keep the same value on the dollar..

each time they do it ..it loses more and more value..

all those people saying it is getting better never really looked that hard..all you hear from business owners in our town is..i sure would like to know who keeps saying it's getting better and where the heck do they live that it is getting better? heheheh

it'll be what it will be..and the way they keep dealing with it..i doubt it will ever be better..

Complete myth.   

Of course, offering aid and being allowed to deliver are two different things as the US notably proved in the instance of the New Orleans disaster in the wake of Katrina.

The US is  ill-prepared to receive foreign aid, but not being able good at accepting or making use of offered or delivered aid is not the same as not being offered, or being "on our own".

U.S. is like crack heads..we can't be given money because it will go to crack hehehe..it will never end up where it was meant to go..we would need actual aid as  in people showing up and doing the work and bringing the stuff with them..

thats how the whole katrina thing started..given money for the leveys and it ended up elsewhere..

Search and rescue teams were refused.  Supplies that were sent spolied while waiting around unused.  Delivering aid was made very difficult even for those countries who attempted sending tangible supplies and were willing to take part in delivering the aid directly. 

Many of the scores of countries who offered aid (400 million dollars worth offered by Kuwait alone) redirected aid through private agencies such as the Red Cross because it was impossible to deliver it through or in cooperation with the US government.

That we do- or rather the majority does, both of politicians and people. A grant would be fine, but if we're expected to pay it back, then it's just another foot further we sink into the hole because we cannot seem to manage our money.

This is also why I do not think raising the ceiling will be our salvation. It is what is needed and will be done, but to stay living off of borrowed money (regardless of who it is borrowed from) is to live off of borrowed time. Our time is just about up if we don't immediately put on the brakes and, as Dres said, turn that car around.

Sadly, as Ceka said, we have the money-management skills of crack addicts. The way the US runs much of its dealings is extremely self-destructive and, if I were to diagnose the US like one single being (mentally only, don't get me started on physically) then I'd likely say it is addicted and paranoid.

We are ddcited to ridiculous spending that is completely unfounded. There are times, however, when we are lying on our backs, realizing the end is near if we don't get some food, and those are the times we see most clearly and ask for help. We swear we won't spend our food-money on our analytical crack, but that all goes sailing out the window before the day is through. And then we are back to square one once the 'high' wears off.  

We refuse the real aid we need in our moments of 'small-people crisis' such as Katrina because we're paranoid. We don't want people to think we're unable to help ourselves and we don't want to expose our weaknesses to our percieved enemies- even if they are extending us a hand in our darkest moments... and those 'small people' suffer because of it. This is also why we will never (or have yet to, anyhow- never say never) cut such a major chunk of funding to our military.

I agree to raising taxes on the big guys and corporations, but not the 'small fries' who aren't part of the mega. Afterall, there are some corporations who need to have the stranglehold put on them- the oil business is definitely one of them, but small(er) business owners already in trouble don't need the added weight of being -just- over the edge- not when that edge is as low as 250k. The scales are unbalanced and something needs to be done. There are a million ways to do it, but it seems like we can't pick one and stick with it. That is where the frustration (for me anyhow) comes in. 

Treyu wrote:

That we do- or rather the majority does, both of politicians and people. A grant would be fine, but if we're expected to pay it back, then it's just another foot further we sink into the hole because we cannot seem to manage our money.

This is also why I do not think raising the ceiling will be our salvation. It is what is needed and will be done, but to stay living off of borrowed money (regardless of who it is borrowed from) is to live off of borrowed time. Our time is just about up if we don't immediately put on the brakes and, as Dres said, turn that car around.

Sadly, as Ceka said, we have the money-management skills of crack addicts. The way the US runs much of its dealings is extremely self-destructive and, if I were to diagnose the US like one single being (mentally only, don't get me started on physically) then I'd likely say it is addicted and paranoid.

We are ddcited to ridiculous spending that is completely unfounded. There are times, however, when we are lying on our backs, realizing the end is near if we don't get some food, and those are the times we see most clearly and ask for help. We swear we won't spend our food-money on our analytical crack, but that all goes sailing out the window before the day is through. And then we are back to square one once the 'high' wears off.  

We refuse the real aid we need in our moments of 'small-people crisis' such as Katrina because we're paranoid. We don't want people to think we're unable to help ourselves and we don't want to expose our weaknesses to our percieved enemies- even if they are extending us a hand in our darkest moments... and those 'small people' suffer because of it. This is also why we will never (or have yet to, anyhow- never say never) cut such a major chunk of funding to our military.

I agree to raising taxes on the big guys and corporations, but not the 'small fries' who aren't part of the mega. Afterall, there are some corporations who need to have the stranglehold put on them- the oil business is definitely one of them, but small(er) business owners already in trouble don't need the added weight of being -just- over the edge- not when that edge is as low as 250k. The scales are unbalanced and something needs to be done. There are a million ways to do it, but it seems like we can't pick one and stick with it. That is where the frustration (for me anyhow) comes in. 

the whole thing reminds me of someone buying time to save their own Butts not caring about who gets screwed in the end..

we get lied to and we see it and they see us seeing it and thereis not a thing we can do about it but wait for the big screw..

they will never turn the car around..whats gonna happen is we will probably end up with a new one..a renaissance..

at some point there has to be a colapes because the rest of the world won't put up with us forever..there will come a point where they say..wow i can't risk anymore on you guys..there was  a time it would hurt us if you failed..but now the hurt is here just trying to keep it up..bye bye..then it's zip bang moan..

we've pretty much passed the point of no return on it ever being like it was when it was good..we will never be in the black again..

i mean we don't talk  billions nymore..it's trillions..and the crazy thing is if anyone could picture a trillion dollars they would freak at how much that really was..i mean you could stack single dollar bills and make it to the moon..something like that..it's crazy lots..and thats just one trillion..

THe money has to come from somewhere, the elders have to pay a lil just like the younger do. Not my fault that they let politicians sell my future down the drain.

*intresting side note, I mispelled politicans and the spellchck amuslingly suggested pollution before politics

amarock Amat wrote:

*intresting side note, I mispelled politicans and the spellchck amuslingly suggested pollution before politics

i think that is the revised spelling version..they figured they should save somewhere so they are saving space in the dictionary..it's about the only place left they could find to save.. :P

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

Hahaha

Are you kidding?( Sarcasm) No one does anything to help us. But we're always there to help others. We're on our own.

Well, we non-US residents are paying for the upkeep and military equipment of 250,000 American soldiers. Does that count? The USA couldn't afford being one of the largest military powers if Germany, Japan, Korea, and the Philippines didn't pay for a considerable share of their armed forces.

Which is the only reason that these troops are still stationed here and will probably remain here forever. They're protecting us from our tax money :) The help that Germany received after WWII wasn't a handout, it was an investment that yields continuous interest.

There is no room for charity in politics. Governments only help themselves.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.