Apple OS X Lion Compatibility

Esbee Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4213 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have fixed it by replacing the file /Applications/Second Life Viewer 2.app/Contents/Resources/app_settings/CA.pem with the same file from a pre 2.8 version viewer (actually the Dolphin viewer, but some have reported it to work with the same file from Kirstens also. 

Hiya Six, since the update to Second Life 2.8.1 (237758) Aug  4 2011 14:27:27, I have had an issue with tings not rendering when I log on. Non of my clothes appear and I look naked. No eyes etc. There are listed in my outfits as being worn. aquick edit outfit fixes this.

Didn't work for me. When i want to edit my eyes i'll see the back of my head in the edit pane. I'm pretty sure though this is Lion related and not so much viewer related.

BTW..i just decided to try 2.8.1 on Lion now and voila, transparent texture issues are vanished! And also are my eyes again! And edit is useless..no matter which pair of eyes  i wear they all show the same black&white&grey eye texture. 

Update: the eyes will show eventually when in appearance mode and the face light is lit. As soon as i go out appearance the eyes turn black again.

This is far from cool.  The main issue seems to be that Lion ONLY runs in 64 bit mode and I don't think that SL has a 64 bit only viewer.  There are a few other programs that are scrambling to get this fixed as well- such as some purchasable stuff for iTunes (the newest release).  Aeon and G-Force don't work either... Sound Spectrum is working on this, I just hope Linden is as well....

The issues regarding eyes etc, also appear with Snow Leopard so that is is probably not a 64 bit problem. There are issues with other OSs (Linux) and the eye / shadow problem. The only issue with Lion that I have is that PPC only software does not run as Apple have dropped non Intel support. 

I have mini-mac (about 2yrs old). Both Dolphin2 (latest download) and Firestorm Beta (latest download) get the color wheel as soon as location is loaded. Can't do anything after that. Let it sit for 20 minutes -- didn't help. Before Lion I had some lag issues but now I can't do anything. I only get message that "clothes are still loading, you can continue and people will see you ok..." Then the color wheel starts... 

On Firestorm Beta, on the login screen, go to Viewer -> Preferences -> Graphics -> Hardware options ->  Untick  Open GL Vertex Buffer objects

This will allow you to login with Firestorm on Lion ( same workaround as for Viewer 2)

See http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=mac_os_x_10.7_lion_problems for full details

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-26677

Seems I can reply to IMs, but not initiate them. The 'button' to IM just blinks when clicked and does nothing. But the icons with profile pics at bottomright of screen will work to let me view and reply to IMs I get.

Anyone seen anything like this?

I've tried 2.8.1, 2.7.5, and Kirstens - so far.

Thalia Heckroth wrote:

Anyone noticed if location for chat logs has changed with Lion?

It used to be ~/Library/Application Support/Second Life/

today i don't see the Second Life folder there anymore.

Any ideas?

Thanks

By default the ~Library folder is hidden in Lion.

The chat logs are still in ~Library/Applcation Support/SecondLife/your_avatar_name

There is a small free utility that can be used to unhide the ~Library folder. It is called Lion Tweaks.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, great, its good to know there is SOME problem at some point with Lion. How about putting this information in the System Requirements, since according to them, it will run under "Mac OS X 10.5.4 or better", which would presumably include OS 10.7-although I know there is some question as to whether or not Lion is better than Snow Leopard. : )

Dion Maximus wrote:

OK, great, its good to know there is SOME problem at some point with Lion. How about putting this information in the System Requirements, since according to them, it will run under "Mac OS X 10.5.4 or better", which would presumably include OS 10.7-although I know there is some question as to whether or not Lion is better than Snow Leopard. : )

Good point!

'Better' is so relative. 'Different' is far more often the way to describe new stuff IMO.  I run Lion since release now and i am so used to it now. So yes..i can say it is better as it comes to the user experience. I use the track pad and Lion is designed for this (and for this magic rodent) :smileyhappy:

Had this prob when testing lion the other day on a friends imac. Best workaround i found was to create a folder on desktop then redirect in SL prefs . With phœnix you can deplace this and most cache files too i think and i've allways done this anyhow as i don't like having to dig around when i need to check chatlogs, clear all cache and sometimes user files.

But what a totally cretinous idea on the part of apple designers to hide library!!! I don't give a **** about shiny new buttons and gadgets i want to be able to have my HD icon on the bureau and get at what i need when i need it. Apple says this decision was made because users hardly ever need to go into library WTF!!!  And what was so wrong with sherlock back in the OS9 days where u could find anything you needed in a flash. 

Also BEWARE anyone who buys a reconditioned Imac now. You will not receive a snow leopard installation CD as stated but Lion pre-installed and no CD to back up. Can maybe do a clean install if you posses snow CD but not sure about that.

* otherwise you can get at it under "go to" (i presume this is the english trans, I'm in french) in the finder menu bar. 

**LMAO apple C° is starting to strangely resemble another C° we all know don't you think ? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

OSX Lion has caused alot of issues for me, i cant blame LL for them all though. Lion was released just as they were rolling out Mesh and so its a double whammy of bugs for LL to sort through which i can imagine is like trying to find luke skywalker in the garbage disposal. 

In June the Mac viewer was working the best i've ever had it, now it's taken a step back but while reading the Jira reports it seems the LL team are working hard to fix things while also trying not to break things further. I'm usually the first to groan and moan at the Lab when my view of SL becomes a stuttering mess, especially when a few months ago it was so perfectly rendered at 40 frame per second and cast in beautiful shadows. It feels like i ws just teased at whats possible when the viewers code is right. But allas the timing of Mesh and Lion seems to have broken all the hard work.

Past experience leads me to expect that the viewer wont work properly again untill this time next year, just before apple release another updated OSX..... Of course there are those out there on Macs who swear the viewer works fine.

Also there are some issues that arnt just Mac related, the implementation of mesh has caused quite a few issues, so maybe it'd make sense if they concentrated on those before working on specif OS issues. 

I dunno, i'm as frustrated as the rest, but 6 years of SL has taught me to push through constant crashing, slow texture load times, Broken VBO support, Stuttering frame rates, no Shadow casting. They'll fix it eventually.

Im a Mac, and i use Second Life regardless :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4213 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.