Apple OS X Lion Compatibility

Esbee Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yesterday Apple released their newest operating system update, OS X Lion. At this time, we're still testing and working out some compatibility issues, so this is just a quick reminder that OS X Lion is not yet supported by the Second Life Viewer. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for communicating on this! I guess i will wait a while before downloading Lion. Not too sure if it is of great interest unless you use a laptop & trackpad. Apparently, Apple has oriented the new OS towards iPad's touch sensitive functions. As for Second Life, this upgrade is useless at the moment.

Good News!  I have tested SL Viewers on LION on both a MacBookPro and a MacAir

On the air, you have to DISABLE OpenGL (Preferences / Grapics / Hardware) and untick the use OpenGL

On the MacBookPro, life is good!  No need to disable OpenGL

(I tested this with the latest SL Viewer and the FireStorm Beta, and Kirstens S21)

Of course, Phoenix still works pretty good if you dont mind an bunch of errors @ startup about missing sky Files

I am using a MacBook running Snow Leopard.  I've had no compatibility problems using Phoenix 1.5.2.1102 along with the standard SL Viewer.  I am going to hold off getting Lion until I am sure SL and Phoenix are running smoothly.  Have not tried Firestorm.

Jo Exonar wrote:

Given that the final release has been available to developers for several weeks, why did you wait until now to begin testing?

I've wondered the same thing. Every essential application I use except SL's viewer was updated for Lion before its release on July 20.  

Could we have a timetable on when we can expect compatibility with Lion?

were these ati graphics or NVIDIA,,,,,,,there have been significant problems with nvidia freezing( Obviouslyyou disabled open GL) Firestorm  Has advises Viewer 2 and firestorm Users to wait,until this is fixed.....you frame rate is severely compromised

Firestorm support reply

To be honest, If you intent to use any V2 based viewer full time on SL, I would hold off on the Lion update until this is fixed.

Please see FIRE-2297 for all the details on this issue.

It appears to simply depend on what graphics card you you have You can MAKE it work sure

but frame rate is affected

Thanks KAwyn Galaxy

I'm running Lion on a 2008 model iMac with ATI HD Graphics. None of the v2 viewers work properly. Disabling Frame Buffer Objects does not seem to fix the issue. I have tried Firestorm which seems to run ok but crashes often. I'm not a big fan of TPV's so I really hope that the Lindens can fix this soon! I *need* to be in-world to take care of various responsibilities. This is no game.

I tried out Second Life yesterday on a new MacBook Air at the Apple Store (Sandy Bridge i5 processor, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Lion). Epic fail; avatars wouldn't render at all. But I didn't experiment with graphics settings. No idea at this point whether the problem was with Lion or with the new graphics, but in any case I can't recommend that configuration for Second Life!

Mac Air with Intel HD Graphics 3000 and Lion -- SL Viewer 2 works fine once I turned down graphics quality from high to medium.  Having done that once, seems to run fine even though graphics quality seems to reset itself to high.

Firestorm will not launch at all -- beachball with no menus loading, so I can't try workarounds in the graphics settings.

Phoenix seems to work fine.

For Phoenix & Firestorm users: Please keep an eye on http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=mac_os_x_10.7_lion_problems

This page will be kept up to date with all known Lion issues & workarounds as they come to light.

So far, the issues & workarounds for Firestorm appear to be the same as for the lastest Viewer 2 release ( Firestorm is based on V2.5 codebase)

LL JIRA links:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2032

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2034

I have found that the latest beta (2.8.1.236154) works better on Lion than the release of July 26. The artifacts that protrude from your body and black panels that pop up randomly are gone in the beta.

Both versions has problems with the latest profiles as CSS is not loaded, so you only get a text page without any graphics. 

I have a Macbook running on Snow Leopard and until the last SL viewer 2 update I was running fine.  I can't use the new SL Viewer at all.  The lag is horrendous!  And I've tried Firestorm and it's laggy too.  Imprudence is the only one I can run but the graphics aren't as good.  I wish they wouldn't force you to update your SL Viewer!!!!  That is so incredibly annoying.  It's getting to the point where logging isn't worth the trouble anymore.

I tested the new MacBook Air (10.5", 1.8 GHz I7, 4 Gb RAM, Intel Graphics 3000, Lion) with the latest (July 28, 2011) versions of the Second Life, Phoenix, and Firestorm Beta viewers. FPS was recorded at each of two altitudes (25M and 2700M) using each of the four Render Quality Settings (Low, Mid, High, Ultra) for each of the three viewers. Default settings were used with one exception: the draw distance was altered to 200M for each Render Quality Setting. The Second Life viewer and FireStorm Beta had similar results (25M altitude Low:28 fps Ultra:10 fps) (2700M altitude Low:58 fps Ultra:37 fps). The 25M altitude was a texture and script rich rendering challenge and the 2700M altitude was a sky build with many fewer textures and scripts. Subjectively all viewers performed well, rendering nice reflections in Ultra. I spent a few hours inLife using FireStorm Beta with varied activities, many teleports and sims and Firestorm performed perfectly. Bottom line. The new 2011 MacBook Air with OS X Lion performed perfectly with the three tested viewers.

I was using Viewer 2 just fine on Lion until your last required update. If you would let us go back to that version until the problem is resolved, I would be most grateful. You talk as if this was Apple's fault. I think you should have tested your latest version on Lion before requiring the upgrade.

Maybe if you hadn't sacked half of your dev team the client would work. Unfortunately this seems to be becoming the normal state for Second Life. OSX Lion is a major release and frankly it's embarassing that you don't 'support' it yet. It's been available for months to devs this should have been covered.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.