Mesh Vehicles - max prim count?

Loki Eliot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ive been working on a new version of my Airship trying to keep prims under the golden rule of 30 prims. Has the rules changed for mesh because i accidently found out i can have a vehicle moving with over 30 prims now. Is this a bug, or a beta grid only feature, or are be now allowed over 30 prims to use on a vehicle?

I heard they were going to raise it to 256 prims for a physical linked set. So maybe its on the beta grid already. I have not tested it yet.

But the the actual prim limit for a physical object is 32 prims I think not 30. So if you are just over 30 it would still work. The only thing you have to keep in mind with 32 prim vehicles is the passenger counts as a prim, so if you want a passenger you have to make sure you leave a spare prim for that.

For linksets including at least one mesh or at least one prim with physics shape type convex or none, only the physics weight must remain below 32. Once the vehicle is made physical, its physics weight will go up, but that will not prevent it from remaining physical.

Falcon

• Like 1

The physics weight for the default physics shape tye, Convex Hull, is shown in the uploader when you press the cost button. For the Prim physics shape type, you have to upload it, set it to that type, and look at the physics weight in the edit dialog; or you can try to calculate it from the equation in the wiki. I think that's possible for decomposed shapes as the upload dialog tells you the number of hulls and vertices. I think it's impossible for triangle based shapes as we don't have access to the exact algoithm, and it would be seriously complicated anyway, as it depends on the size and shape of each triangle. I did make a jira asking for the ability to select physics shape type before retrieving the weights from the server, so maybe one day...

I can tell you how to get that! I was bewildered by it too.

First, go to your preferences and choose the Advanced tab. Make sure that you have checked the boxes to show the Advance and Developer menus.

Preferences Advanced Tab.jpg

After that, click on the Advance menu at the top of your screen. Second from the bottom will be "Show Debug Settings." Click on that and you will get a debugging dialog box like the one below.

showAdvancedBuilderOptions.jpg

Type into the white space "showAdvancedBuilderOptions" and the box will display two radio button options, TRUE or FALSE. By default FALSE is selected. Click on TRUE.

Now, try editing something and your edit window will look like Drongle's, showing you the physics weight.

• Like 1

• Lindens

Agreed, but the majority of users won't need to specifically see the physics weight, and presenting all five numbers (objects, prims, prim equivs, physics, and render) is too overwhelming to present to every user in that view.

Its required for vehicle builders to see the physics weight, so we have a debug setting for that for now, but we're looking into ways of showing this number (and more) that is easier to find for those who want to see the extra detail.

In short, we're working on it :)

Thanks Nyx! I appreciate the reply, and it is good to know that our feedback is being seen.

Your point is well taken. It is almost like you need a basic viewer, and advanced viewer, and perhaps a builder's viewer that goes beyond the advanced. Or perhaps a basic, intermediate and advanced viewer, something simple for the new user, something for the power user, and something for the builders and creators.

Vivienne Daguerre wrote:

Thanks Nyx! I appreciate the reply, and it is good to know that our feedback is being seen.

Your point is well taken. It is almost like you need a basic viewer, and advanced viewer, and perhaps a builder's viewer that goes beyond the advanced. Or perhaps a basic, intermediate and advanced viewer, something simple for the new user, something for the power user, and something for the builders and creators.

I'd give an LL dev a pony if they'd make a viewer for builders. ^^

One more question on the Vehicle stuff. On land, does the Land count PE of a vehicle or the Physical weight of the Vehicle?. Most kind people i know have left 30 prims spare for Vehicles to cross over. Will my 38 PE airship get STOPPED trying to fly over a place with only 30 prims count  left, or does land only count physical weight?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.