Sigh.

Rusalka Writer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Rusalka Writer wrote:

Did some building in Sandbox 28, went back a couple of hours later, and the last half-hour of work is gone. Mesh and prim. I won't be paying for any mesh on the maingrid until this sort of thing stops.

Rusalka, so sorry to hear that.   Frustrating, I know.    Try contacting Oskar Linden...see if he has any insight. 

I experienced a similar thing on MSB#20.  I had just added some large linksets and moved a few things when I got the 5 miniutes to shutdown message. I logged and came back an hour later to find it was in the state I left if before adding and moving.   Perhaps the Sim only backs itself up on certain intervals and not just before a restart?

If they are deliberate restarts, that sounds like a problem to me. When I was chasing a disappearing mesh bug, I did a lot of restarts just after putting new stuff out, and it was still there (unless it was one of the meshes that reugularly disppeared). So it seemed then that th restart process included saving all the region contents. If that is not happening now with ordinary reatarts, it may be a bug. On the other hand, it's possible the restarts are required because of problem content, or to recreate a particular state. In that case it would be a roll-back rather than a restart. Then the newer stuff would be expected to disappear.

I've seen some other people complain of lost changes on the main grid. So, it is not just a Mesh region problem.

Some weeks back the Lindens were improving the region restart process and crash recovery systems, concierge services. Prior to that some crashes apparently hung and required an Estate owner or support call to restart the region. So, some crashes, apparently many, were obvious.

With the recent changes a crash goes into automatic recovery and may appear as a planned restart. In such cases there is no flush of object changes registered in the region server to the database. But, that should not be the case when a restart warning is issued. I suppose a region is being restarted because it is having problems. So, the update could be taking longer than planned and the changes just aren't making it to the database.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.