Ugh... Need your help with textures & building please :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I normally like to try and figure things out on my own, but I'm completely and utterly stumped over something probably very simple - I'm trying to create 1 prim framed artwork, and 1 prim sculpted rugs.  The problem is that in both cases I'm trying to stick two textures onto one prim.  However, as an example, when I'm trying to add a texture frame to a painting (texture) on an existing prim, the frame erases the painting, and vice versa.

I would REALLY appreciate your help with this, whether instructions here or a link to some resource that addresses this very issue.  

Thank you so much!

If I understand correctly, you're trying to texture only part of the prim, but don't know how to avoid texturing the entire thing.

Put the prim in edit, go to the texture tab on the edit window, and click "Select Texture" and then click on the sides of the prim you wish to texture.

Edited to add:  Sorry for basically just repeating what somebody else just told you while I was slowly pecking away at the keyboard.  lol

• Like 1

You can only apply one texture to one face. Sounds to me you need to save the Frame and the Artwork to your computer, put them together in a graphics program, and upload the one image and that is your texture.

For the sculpted rug, I haven't seen a sculpt yet that has more than one face, so again you need to get one texture and apply that.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

First, kudos to all of you for suggestions and insight.  I didn't expect to find so many helpful replies!  Really, thank you.  

I believe you all answered my question (I just have to digest it first... I'm still very new to this), but just in case I wasn't very clear let me try to explain it this way:

I'm trying to create a framed painting to hang on my wall at home.  I created a basic prim and applied an Art Painting texture to it.  Next I wanted to apply a Frame texture to it, however the frame replaced the art, showing ony an empty frame. 

I believe I understood from the replies that I can't apply two textures to the same prim though.  I'm assuming I'll have to combine them with something like Photoshop if I'm attempting to put both textures on the same primitive, yes? 

Again, thank you all for the very helpful replies!

You CAN apply more then 1 texture to a REGULAR PRIM. You just drag the texture from your inventory to that face of the prim that you want the texture to show on. You can do this for all faces by either dragging or by using the Select Texture option in the Edit mode. This option has to be checked in the top of the Edit window.select face.jpg

If you use the Texture tab in the Edit window to drag a texture from your inventory to the Texture tab it will be applied to ALL faces of the prim. Go and experiment with these options for a few minutes to get the hang of this.

For a SCULPTED PRIM this is not the case tho. Sculpted prims only have 1 face/side. So those need to be textured in a 3D program if you wish to apply more then 1 texture on those. There are several programs to do this like Maya, Blender etc.

• Like 1

Starr & Jennifer,

Thank you both so much for your responses as well.  :)  Starr, now I finally understand what a couple of others were saying before about selecting the faces of a prim for framing.  Thank you!  Jennifer, I think that program is EXACTLY what I need... thank you! :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.