Where are our weekly Linden SLM forum posts?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know why there has been such a long delay in the posting of SLM update by Linden Lab? We used to receive one every week or so and now I we have not seen one for little under a month which raises some suspicions (some bad, some good). Wonder what surprise they plan on unveiling in their pending post *sighs* We can only hope that its nothing capable of hindering the marketplace’s performance. I’m not sure if we should fear its arrival or anticipate it.

Sally Audebarn wrote:

Does anyone know why there has been such a long delay in the posting of SLM update by Linden Lab? We used to receive one every week or so and now I we have not seen one for little under a month which raises some suspicions
(some bad, some good)
. Wonder what surprise they plan on unveiling in their pending post
*sighs*
We can only hope that its nothing capable of hindering the marketplace’s performance. I’m not sure if we should fear its arrival or anticipate it.

As I mentioned in other recent threads..... Brooke and the SL Marketing Team has fallen into the same evolution of slowly sliding into a policy of Communication Shutdown after an initial entry into the job of "things are gonna be different with our management team and we will be much more transparent and engaging with our Merchant community then the last generation". 

All the past Commerce Team Leaders and Management followed the same Job Excitement as Brooke did... but now she is doing exactly what all the past management did.  This is not critisizing... its simple historical fact that no one can dispute.  Do we all remember how engagement and communicating Brooke was in Jan-Mar?  Compare that to now...  Do you see a difference?

Meanwhile major changes to SLM in the works like Direct Delivery, Search, reporting, etc. are in the secret works of the Commerce Team and those few Merchants in the know.

Soooo....... Just wait for the BANG

I'm just hoping that this BANG that you speak of is not one that will cause the marketplace to implode (nostalgia anyone?). It’s also rather unethical for Linden Lab to trick us into believing that they have taken a new approach to enhance the communication between themselves and the SLM place users while knowing very well that they were merely acting as competent workers to fool us into seeing an illusion of hope. It’s about time that they start making the rare ethical changes that the apply permanent while at the same time making their more frequently made bad decisions/implementations temporary if not nonexistent.   

If the sh## hasn't hit the fan at Linden Labs already, it should have, and probably will as soon as whoever was keeping the whole thing from going down the tubes until recently comes back from vacation or gets replaced with someone who hasn't already been blinded to the massive culture of denial at LL.

So, basically, expect nothing important to happen anyway.

This week, so far, has been just one massive clusterf### after another.

TP failures.

Box failures.

Snapshot failures.

Paralyzed scripts.

Grief-saturated sandboxes.

(and the list goes on)

The icing on the sh## sandwich is that objects not being delivered are also absent from my personal inventory, making them impossible to deliver personally at no charge.

Am I to assume that this special new form of inventory failure is one of the new "features" they've developed as part of their new Direct Delivery Failures Program?

Whatever.

I'm still waiting for Dakota to "educate" me on the correct category for my seamless box sculpt.

If the rest of you are also hearing crickets at the other end of the Linden pipe, my suggestion is that you better just get used to it.

My guess is that they've all but forgotten about Direct Delivery, but only after begining to implement some of the code that creates new problems without also implenting the code that provides the concurrent benefits.

Why would they suddenly forget all about Direct Delivery?

Because Mesh has turned out to an almost a complete pooch-screw in terms of the very practical gaps between what they initially said it would do and what they are now saying it will do. 

No one at LL wants to be the first person to say they either need to sh## or get off the pot. They're probably paralyzed with indecision about whether it would be worse to drop Mesh on the main grid wholesale as-is, regardless of the fallout, or simply cut their losses and ditch the whole program. 

If Lindens are reading, I'd like them to see this link, which explains why I think they should NOT continue to promote Mesh, whether they intend to drop it or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irrational_escalation

(The point is that LL is burning through credibility in order to further their stated commitment to Mesh; credibility already being a threatened corporate resource for other reasons.)

Other than actually DO SOMETHING, their best plan at this point might be to just say nothing at all about either of  these things until they are sure every single user has a newer machine, system, and internet connection than when Mesh and Direct Delivery were announced as being on the way.

When will that be?

The most mundane is generally the most common occurance. More likely that Direct Delivery is taking time, not something that's done overnight, obviously. Given that, there's probabably not anything announcement worthy, just plodding away at the task at hand.

Has nothing to do with Mesh. Different teams, different goals, except any special handling Mesh may need to be listed in the Marketplace, if anything. As you probably know, mesh is also coming along steadily and should be released soon on the main grid.

Without a hard release date given on Direct Delivery I would say no news is good news if you subscribe to the disaster theories. Either way, the project has not been abandoned.

The teams are presumably separate, but the pressure on them to produce comes from the same source, so that source will tend to shift focus to whatever it percieves to be the larger problem. With no pressure to produce, a team with a problem is not going to talk very much about the problem until (if ever) they have something that looks like a viable solution.

The larger problem right now is mesh, and it will continue to be the larger problem until they either officially call off, at least until further notice, the rest of the release process OR (God forbid) actually continue with the release as (for lack of a better term) "planned".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.