What is the ideal image size and resolution for clothes making for sl when saving?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One of the best and most comprehensive explanations on textures, what they do, how they do it and why they do it by someone who is quite expert in the field:

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/109/e6/150360/1.html

Don't let the date of the post fool you.  Digital graphics haven't changed much (if at all) since 2006.  If you are really interested in making the best you can make then it's an excellent read.

couple more tips...if you decide to branch out to eyes, its 128x128.

Resolution doesnt really matter as far as 72 dpi vs 96. though Ive recently gone to 96 when using Fireworks in stead of photoshop because for some reason FW does make things look smaller in 72 than 96. I think my computer is really over 100 dpi. 

But seriously all that matters is dimension, and everyone is correct, stick with 1024x1024 unless your creating something like eyes.

Im still learning myself. But if you are looking for the avatars to base your clothes on let me know. I have several different ones. Im not sure which ones are the best because everyone seems to have their own favorite.

If you cant find the eye template, I can give you a copy.

Some good tuts and places to get avatar UV templates for the fledgling fashionista!

http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/SL-Tuts/SLTutSet.html

fake bake tuts

http://mistressofdesign.wordpress.com/2008/10/07/rgb-theta-photoshop-plug-in-for-sl-fake-bake/

dpi only matters for three things, the (incorrect) legacy reference in windows to font size, and (including programs that preview them) scanning, and printing. all other computer uses only apply the pixel dimensions.

(there may be a few legacy programs that incorrectly reference dpi for screen dimensions but they'd be REALLY old)

For the latest photoshop, you are correct regarding DPI . Also correct for printing and scanning. However, I have fireworks CS5, the latest, and it still makes a difference onscreen as well. Its kinda irritating that it does this.

If I create at 72dpi and select a font size that looks just right, when then use said font size in my html/css in a browser that is a default of 96 dpi, what I see is vastly different.

for things created in FW, the view at 72 dpi is not the same as at 96. Ive tested it  the images are different.

Ive had less problems since I started using 96 dpi. As that seems to be closer to what Ill get when I spec, for example,  14px in FW and then see it live in Chrome, FF and Safari.

Maybe that doesnt matter for clothing but as I work between PS and FW when creating, its safer to set them both to 96. My PS defaults to 96. my FW defaults to 72. Why they both dont default to 96 is beyond me.

I dont like photoshop for all my creating because its twice the work to manipulate vectors and gradients. Why they can't make vectors and gradients and feather work in PS like FW isnt another thing I do not understand. but maybe thats intentional...so people like me will pay to have both in order to get the best of what should be in one program.

methinks I might have to see if GIMP is all that.

oh and Im on a mac. not a windows box.  

odd that they maintain a reference to DPI in a tool aimed at web design... dpi is literally "dots per inch", and used for printers (and scanners) to determine how densely to pack (or scan) the image in printed media which affects the size.

72 was the old print standard, and 96 the old monitor standard, in relation to font differences for onscreen display, and became effectively irrelevant once pixel dimensions were no longer fixed to physical screen size. I wonder if they keep it around for PDF and similar export functionality. Thanks for the heads up on that one, I don't use adobe so wasn't familiar with that oddity

yep, but you can use FW for print documents too. NOT my first choice for print. but,  I think some programs are using DPI hand in hand with PPI because old time designers are used to the term DPI.

why on earth does PS let you opt for pixels, but FW defaults to POINTS. points have absolutely no relation to any standard real size. meaning 72pt in one font is not the same physical size as 72 points in another size. and points do not equate to pixels any day anywhere.

You might be right about the PDF thing..that can be a nightmare if your acrobat pro is set to 96 and your program is set to 72. so basically, just make sure everything uses the same number and then I think its all happy. OR, never use more than one program to create anything! uhm, no. I like ALL my toys. ;-)

ooooooo and check your browser..some have dpi (ppi) settings too. oh my god the madness!

I do web design 99% in FW, but I just gotta have my PS, my illustrator and my Indesign for this that and the other thing. would be a miracle IF one program had all that talent in one package.

anyway

what do you use? Im always open to new tools! and adobe is very very very expensive.

So 96 dpi is a good resolution for clothes...would anything higher become a problem for people with different graphic viewing capabilities? Sometimes I download a texture..and it appears when first rezzing in this grey green patchy look till the image makes it in..I wondered if this was due to the resolution size being way too big like over 96 dpi?

The point is that you can set DPI to anything you like. It makes no difference whatsoever unless you are printing the image. How many "dots" there are per inch on your screen depends on the style of monitor you have, what its resolution is set at, and how much you have zoomed in to the image.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.