second life wont work

ssnnathan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Did you try restarting your computer? Assuming that you did already, are you using a Windows machine? Do contrl-alt-delete and bring up the task manager and see what's running. Is there a Second Life process running? If so, right click it and select "End Process". 

Did you try alternative viewers, such as Phoenix, Firestorm, Singularity, Imprudence and so forth? Do you have the same problem with each?

I sometimes have trouble escaping and ending the SL program.  So, Randall, are you saying that bringing up control + alt + delete and looking through the task managing can end the SL program faster?  I often have to tap the escape key a few times, but sometimes it takes a long to escape SL or for it to quit.  I was using control + alt + escape to try to end the SL program, but it does nothing.  So can I end SL program sooner with control + alt + delete?  Delete sounds weird, like I'd be deleting something.

If Randall isn't online any time soon could someone explain in more detail what control + alt + delete does because I don't understand what this wiki is saying.  So could someone explain to me if control + alt + delete will end the SL program or just reboot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control-Alt-Delete

SLPlugin is known to sometimes open two or more processes so open Task Manager using CTRL+ALT+DELETE and check. Close any SLPlugin processes (or other SL processes if any) you see then try opening Second Life. Usually the multiple processes just cause extreme lag and crashing but perhaps it's causing more than that for you.

If no other processes showing, open C: > Windows > Prefetch and delete the secondlife prefetch file and try again.

If still not fixed, let's try a workaround. Nowadays, to allow you open multiple viewers, it's a simple tick box in Preferences > Advanced tab > Allow Multiple Viewers. However, as you can't open the application, there is the old way of doing things which I hope still works.

Right click your Second Life Shortcut and select Properties. Click your cursor in the Target box and scroll to the end. Then type in --multiple leaving a gap between en and --multiple.

Example:

Original: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeBetaViewer\SecondLifeBetaViewer.exe" --channel "Second Life Beta Viewer"  --settings settings_betaviewer.xml --set InstallLanguage en

New: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeBetaViewer\SecondLifeBetaViewer.exe" --channel "Second Life Beta Viewer"  --settings settings_betaviewer.xml --set InstallLanguage en --multiple

Now try to open Second Life.

Let us know how you get on. If this fails, you will have to complete a full uninstall including manually removing the hidden folders in AppData and hope that fixes it.

Randall is talking about a situation where there is no visible evidence on the desktop that the viewer is running and not about a different way of logging out.  You should log out the regular way.  You might have trouble with lost inventory, cache issues or other problems if you do not log off properly.

You should only resort to closing programes or processes in task manager when they will not close properly on their own.  Closing slowly usually means information is being processed and saved and you should let this happen. 

What alt-ctrl-delete does depends on your Operating System.  You probably have a modern enough system that it will give you options, including the option to open task manager.  Next time you are ready to restart (or turn off) your computer, give it a try to see what it does.  If you're about to close down or restart anyway, a reboot will not do you any harm.  Chances are you will get a blue screen with some options and one of those will be to launch task manager.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the exact same problem. I click on second life, and a half black/half grey screen comes up. I have let it sit for DAYS and it has done absolutely nothing. I was on Second Life one morning, then logged out and logged back on and it didn't work. I have tried Kirsten's Viewer and Imprudence, I log in and it says there was a problem logging in. On the Second Life Viewer, though, I can't even get to the log in screen.  I know that I have all the proper system requirements, but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions to get it working?

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem  and  I really want your help  .

sl was working very well but when I updated the viewer ,the moment  I open the window for the sl to start I find the window divided into two sides one black the other is grey . Also no place to write your user name or your password and if I try to close this window it doesn't close . i don't know what to do !! i  dwonloaded phoneix also the same problem   Then I downloaded snowglobe it is working but I don't like it at all :(i found viewer two much better  for example i can't copy and paste in this viewer also i can't arrange my outfits like i used to

• 1 year later...

Back in 2010, using my same laptop I am using today Windows Vista, I was able to play SL. Since then, 2010, I uninstalled SL seeing my life was quite busy and I was no longer playing as much. Yesterday 1-18-2013 I tried to download SL again, although I meet all the system requirements and it did in fact download, when I double click to start (enter) one small box appears and states "detecting hardware" (normal I believe) and then a small box comes up after that and "trying to conect to server attempt 1" and on that same box it reads at the top left "crash logger" and then poof, it never loads up. I downloaded as said, SL viewer and then Phoenix Viewer and same with the Phoenix viewer. I have even gone so far as to disconnect my Comodo Antivirus thus furthering any possible "blockage" and still nothing. I really miss the game and the friends. If anyone has some really good possible answers please PLEASE help. I am almost just ready to give up. Thank you in advance. Julie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.