Is there a way to 'lock' textures into a prim?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just completed a build that uses a Change Texture script, I'm pretty pleased with it and would like to sell it. The problem is Permissions on textures.

To work, the item needs the Textures in the prims, but once transferred, a person can just Open the prim and get all the textures inside. Even if they get them No trans, I think it still contravenes many Texture Licenses. Is there a way to 'lock' textures into a prim so folks can't get at them?

Permissions is the keyword here. There are many ways to make sure ppl cannot actually use the textures inside your product. If you bought your textures, sellers of these textures, often explain in their TOS of their products how they want you to set the permissions to avoid abuse/theft etc. Some want the perms set to just Copy, no Transfer nor Modify. Some allow other configurations like Copy AND Mod, but NEVER Copy-Trans AND Modify. I. myself, mostly make my textures just copy coz my products sometimes need to be adjustable by a menu and I don't want customers to risk losing my products by screwing them up and not having a backup item. I also set my scripts to just Copy for this reason.

I hadn't thought of UUID's, though I think that needs a new script. I had hoped there'd be some trick involving a browser I haven't heard of.

Back to the drawing board then. Pity really.

Thanks for your replies everyone

• 6 months later...

I need to know how to do this too. I purchased eyelashes for example and I can change the size, but not change the texture or color, because those two items are LOCKED. now Ive made my own eyelashes and set them to mod, copy NO trans. but when I give them to my friend she indicates she can resize AND the texture and color are not locked.

I cant figure out what I am doing wrong in the permissions. I want the purchaser to be able to resize, BUT the texture and color LOCKED just like the ones I bought.

do I need to set the texture permissions to no mod? seems like I tried that and it didnt work either...ugh its that whole copy, no trans mo mod, or whatever that is so messing up the end result. :-(

Tenly wrote:

I cant figure out what I am doing wrong in the permissions. I want the purchaser to be able to resize, BUT the texture and color LOCKED just like the ones I bought.

Hopefully I'm overlooking something, but I'm afraid the only way to do this is by using a resizing script and no mod permissions on the object.

Hi Vigur

As suggested, a script that reads the UUID texture is a great solution and if you want to contact me inworld, I can give you the name of a great scripter - well I will let everyone know - Maya Spore has done excellent work for me.

Also, don't be afraid to contact the makers of textures and explain what you intend.  They understand how textures can be used in products and will sometimes grant you a license to pass on textures to customers with certain permissions.  I have done this and have a nice little folder with notecards memorilaizing conversations where such licenses were granted.

A script can detect automatically when the colour or texture of a prim changes.    There's a bug with how it detects the texture change that means it detects when the texture is changed manually but not when it's changed by script, and for historical reasons this bug is highly unlikely ever to be fixed -- the last time it was tried, it transpired a vast number of freebie vendors only worked because of it, and they all started constantly resetting themselves, bringing sims to their knees in minutes.

However, this bug could be made to work to your favour, since if you use a scripted texture changer that uses uuids you've hard-coded into the script, you can also include a changed event to check for CHANGED_TEXTURE.   If that fires, it means someone's changed the texture manually, so you could just have the script change the texture back to one of yours.

CHANGED_COLOR  fires no matter how the colour is changed, so you'd need to do that a bit differently; have the script check what colour the prim has changed to and, if it's not one of your preset colours, change it back to one of them.

That's the only way I can think of to leave an item modifiable so you can resize it manually (and move the component prims using edit linked parts, which I think is vital for eyelashes) but still prevent the textures and colours being changed by hand.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.