Does SL viewer clash with Phoenix Viewer?

Love Leonoase

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

A lot of people suggested Phoenix Viewer to me.  Not Firestorm, but Phoenix 1.5.

So I download it, and try it.  It's ok, but it'll take some getting used to.

At first, there were no problems, but after a few days, my SL viewer is all the sudden doing nothing but crashing, and HARD!  I'm now getting a blue screen from the SL viewer crash.

I remember someone telling me that these two viewers conflict, and that is what causes problems.

Do any of you techies know if this is most likely the case?

thx

EDIT -  I'm hitting edit here, because I cannot find a link to add a reply....   I was going to ask how I can separate the cache.  I was also going to say thanks for the feedback, and I will try this new Beta version.   My SL viewer was working fine for months, and now it is crashing like never before. 

4 answers to this question

You can certainly have several different viewers installed on your machine without problems.   I have 6 or 7 different viewers at any one time, because I need to test my scripted stuff on everything people are likely to be using it with, and I've never had any trouble because of it.

The "Phoenix and V2 conflict" idea stems from the fact it's a seriously bad idea to have them share a common cache -- it's a bad idea to have different viewers using the same cache anyway, but Phoenix and V2 really don't like sharing them.   That shouldn't crash your viewer, though (or at least I don't think it should).   It may very well cause your inventory not to load properly, or you may find yourself wearing bits of pieces of several different outfits when you log in with one, having used the other the previous time, but it shouldn't crash anything.    

I'm told there are several issues with the current official download, at least for some graphics cards at some graphic settings, that are now fixed in the latest beta version, 2.8 -- that might worth checking out.

• Like 1

Most of the features on the Phoenix viewer are being added to the new Firestorm viewer, as well as lots of new ones. While there is no reason not to use Phoenix for as long as it remains viable, we will all eventually have to switch to one of the V2 based viewers, because so many new advances simply will not be supported by V1.

Therefore, it may be better to spend some time getting used to Firestorm, rather than investing too much time learning Phoenix.

Come to think of it, Phoenix sets its own cache by default -- go to Edit-Preferences-Network & Folder, and it's Disk Cache Location (by default, in Windows 7, Phoenix uses  C:\Users\<your windows name>\AppData\Local\PhoenixViewer).   In V2, it's Me-Preferences-Advanced, and I can't remember what the default is because I always change mine as soon as I install it.

But I really think your issues with crashing were more likely to do with bugs in 2.7n, which certainly could be rather crashy for some people (though I found it pretty stable), and which seem to be resolved, by and large, in 2.8.    Turning off shadows usually fixes most problems I've encountered.

Love Leonoase wrote:

EDIT -  I'm hitting edit here, because I cannot find a link to add a reply....   I was going to ask how I can separate the cache.  I was also going to say thanks for the feedback, and I will try this new Beta version.   My SL viewer was working fine for months, and now it is crashing like never before. 

Whichever viewer you are using, if you go to preferences you will find one tab that shows that location on your HD of the cache & offers you the ability to set a different location. So you can create a folder somewhere & then just browse to it from preferences for one of the viewers or even set a place of your choice for all your viewers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.