Does anyone have hands-on experience with a PC that uses the "HD 2000 graphics"?

Jeremiah Wheelwright

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Questions: will SL work well?  I have an HP Probook, with 4gb, i5, ATI Radeon with 1Gb video memory which does really well running SL (Firestorm Beta 2)  on N wireless.  I'd like to get a new computer for my wife to run SL on.  I've been looking at the PCs with AMD Phenom II X4 processors, with 6GB or more, and some of the models just specify "HD2000 graphics".  How well does Phoenix or Firestorm Beta 2 perform with the HD2000 graphics technology?

1 answer to this question

Run, don't walk, from Intel HD graphics.  You want a mid-range or better discrete graphics card.  Try Notebookcheck for detailed specs on mobile graphics.  Specs for the HD2000 are here.  From the big list, try to get  a Class 1 for best results, or a Class 2 for medium quality on a smaller screen.

According to the system requirements, SL will run on an Intel GMA 945, which is not as powerful as the HD2000, but it will be very slow and you will not get any better than minimum graphics.  It will also be prone to overheating, since SL is very demanding.  But while it is technically possible, I personally would not do it.  Please note that the system requirements is very badly out of date, but you can compare the listed GPUS to current models on Notebookcheck.

If you do get anything integrated, try running Rainbow Viewer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.