cannot log on

Gaetano Demina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Trying  to log  on  with sl viewer2...get  message..second life  has  appeared  to  have crashed.....I  choose  wither   send  or  don;t  sen   error  report....try to log  in again ...get same  message.....uninstalled sl....did  a  clean  reinstall....twice....and  still  get  same  message...any fix?

First of all, always send your error/crash reports. 

Next, do you have the advanced and basic viewer 2?

If you do, try to log onto basic, and then get back to this thread.  I have been able to over-ride a login failure at least five times now by logging into basic, get moving on basic a little, and then log out again, and switch back to advanced, and all worked fine on advanced by simply starting up on basic first.  It's a very simple step to switch back and forth on basic/advanced and it tells u what to do.

If u can't login to basic, then you have another problem. 

Let me try to log on with my V2 and see what's up because this time of day is usually not the maintenace time for the sims, that's usually in the morning, about 8-9am SL time.

While I'm checking viewer, try typing in Smith, Lyme or Aqua and see if you can login to one of those regions because some of the viewers are going to be discontinued in or around August of this year.  I kind of wish they weren't getting rid of some of these viewers, but unfortunately some are going to become obsolete viewers. 

Also, it's really strange because I have always over-ridden a login failure simply be starting up basic first.  Let me go check, anyhow. 

Okay, SL Viewer2 has an update and I just installed the update.  I think because you kept switching viewers, you may have missed the update.

Let me go in now and check the viewer to see how the new update is working.  Unfortunately, by switching and ditching all your viewers, you have missed the update.

I'm a V2 viewer user from the SL website only, so I know nothing of these other viewers, so I have no info to offer on those.  

ETA:  After updating and rebooting my computer, the new update seems good so far.

Also, this info on the SL forums is not generating from LL, just regular SL viewers.  So, if you can't get the new updated version of V2 working, I'd recommend issuing some sort of support ticket simply because some of these other viewers may become obsolete in just a few short weeks, so you really want to get the correct viewer working. 

Also, if you have a defrag program, I'd suggest you run it.  That's about all I can think of for now. 

ETA again:  You could also try a disk clean-up.  For Windows XP go to ALL PROGRAMS - ACCESSORIES - SYSTEM TOOLS -DISK CLEAN-UP. And chose run.  You will also find your disk defragmenter by following the same path:  ALL PROGRAMS - ACCESSORIES - SYSTEM TOOLS DEFRAGMENT (defragging takes longer, so you need to be patient with that one.  Try the disk clean-up first as it's easier.)

If you don't have Windows XP or even Windows, could you please post some of our OS here so others can help if you still can't login.   However, you just may have missed a SL V2 update, and that's all.  More info on your OS is needed if you continue to be unable to login. 

As far as what I'm reading on the internet, Windows 7 is the only one with a built-in automatic defragmenter. 

Firstly, please do not de-fragment willy-nilly.

Can you get the viewer to open without crashing?

Can you log on without crashing?

If you can log on, how long are you on before you crash?

If the viewer opens, have you tried resetting your graphics down to their lowest setting and then increasing them if stable?

Have you checked to see if there are updates for your graphics card drivers?

Some operating systems have been having problems with installing some Viewer2 versions.  I think from memory that this was mainly effecting XP systems.  There are a couple of threads floating around about it (including one with a solution). 

If the rest of your computer works fine and you have sufficient free resources, the problem is likely specific to V2 (especially if another viewer works fine for you) and nothing to do with needing to defragment.

I had the same problem with latest LL viewer version.  I tried everything: restoring computer to earlier date, uninstalling and re-installing SL,etc.  Nothing worked and couldn't even send a crash report.  I solved my problem by installing Phoenix viewer.  I love it!  It works great, screen is less cluttered, and it is more user friendly.  It took me only a day to get used to the different format.  In short, the latest LL viewer is not good.  A friend had to uninstall the LL viewer also and use the Phoenix viewer instead because he saw nothing but black.  I couldn't even log on, crashing every time.  Forget about messing with Linden Labs viewer and install a different viewer.  I understand there is also one by Dolphin, but Phoenix is good.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.