You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

And I realized I wasn't dancing.  I'm not , in fact, an  EXCELLENT DANCER hahahahaaaeerrrrretch (groan..how many thousands of times have I heard this one in SL).  I was simply watching a couple of poorly constructed mesh avatars awkwardly dance around while chatting it up with the stranger who pulls the strings of the other one.  It was the POSE BALL doing all that dancing and I was looking at a monotonous animation dressed up in lag.  In reality  I was in IM and no longer could I fool myself.  Not even for a second. I can't dance like that.  I'm not constructed like that and I have nicer feet.

Now when someone asks me to go dancing in SL...I think.  Why.  Lets just keep chatting.  You are sitting at your computer while the dishes are piling up in the sink.  I am sitting at my computer while my dog crosses his legs and looks pleading at me to go out for a P.  Where did all the magic go?

One Day I woke up.... the birds were singing, the early sun was up and the weather smelled of fresh new life. And then I realised it was my day off and I don't have to go to work... so I went back in and sleep some more...

Good night.

I would LOVE it if someone made dances for people like you and me.

The 'real' people who just shuffle along a bit, try to move to the tune but who don't dance like they've been to dance academy and school of cool for years.

No amazingly fantastically perfect dances but charming slightly out of tune maybe a bit clumsy dances, just like oh so many people dance in RL.

I would have a great time dancing with someone to animations like that.

SL has enough perfection, i'd like to see imperfection.

Let me clarify.  No one says that you must dance while you chat, in fact people regularly chat to each other separated by great distances.  I like to watch the movement so I am one who would choose to dance and chat or chat and dance (smiles).  If I did not enjoy the visual, why would I be in SL?  I could just skype, txt or choose other methods of communication and skip the images altogether.

If no one read or responded to this posting I would be content.  If someone had a similar experience to comment on, I would have found a soul-mate and been overjoyed.

No one is putting a gun to my head and insisting I socialize in SL while watching avatars spinning around doing "routine" animations as if they were dancing.  Yet I once did.  It was fun at the time and it's like it happened to another person. I have reached a point when "suspension of disbelief" ended and for me it was an abrupt end.   Each kid eventually shelves  their barbie and ken and goes on to go on to other games.  Every so often, they run into their old toys at the bottom of their closet and wistfully remember the good time without being able to remember even why the "good times" were possible.

There's no defect in my capacity for imagination. I enjoy the visual. And a year or two ago, I was able to be totally immersed in SL.  Suddenly a switch seemed to click off and I emerged...the rabbit hole closed behind me.  Someone put the wardrobe out on the curb and it got carted off.   Maybe it was lag, maybe it was the same remark repeated over and over about what a wonderful dancer I am, maybe it was the downloading of yet another updated viewer and having to reset  my viewer preferences a gazillionth time, maybe it's my current infatuation with my new Ipad.  Maybe its unknowable. 

OOhhhh I absolutley love to dance even waltz.. slower the better... and chat about nothing at alls... slowly swaying to the music...; or sitting on my sim chatting it up longdistance, whie listening to my indie stream, looking at my incomplete script sitting on the ground.. often interaction is better then the action at all.. smiles, but I do love to see my partner face to face everyonce in awhile.. Thinks finding a dance partner is better then a gf...

I think what you are describing is called "Growing Up". Even an almost perfect world like SL can get boring and we outgrow it. I do have to admit I find myself feeling about the same as you wrote in your post and it makes me a bit sad. I loved being blown away by the magic of SL. I don't mean any age related thing by calling it Growing Up... It's a mind thing/mental stage coz RL I am grown up for a long, long time now, lol. At times I think for me it is caused by me being a content creator and therefor knowing the "secrets behind the balls and scripts"....

Yes exactly Starr.  But isn't a beautiful thing that as adults we found something that even for just a while allowed us to play like children again.  Its almost like an episode of the old tv show Twilight Zone  (now repeat after me:  do do do do    do do do do...)

Perhaps SL was my last hurrah for this sort of thing and its full head on adulty reality (believe me I've been an adult a long time) .  What more can anyone present to me at this point that has the WOW (not the warcraft kind) effect that SL did in the beginning (except my pokey IPad :matte-motes-smile:- the lag on that is almost as bad as SL)

And as to being a creator..I often wonder how people in places like Hollywood can fully enjoy the experience of watching a movie once getting a good sense of how "sausages are made".

*Smiles* Yes, it was so awesome while it lasted and I am so happy and even thankful to have lived that dream! I think most adults never find a way to feel like we did. Some days, especially when it has been a while that I logged in, I start missing that feeling SL used to give me, and I log in hoping it will feel like it used to feel.

SL made me feel things, see things I never thought were possible. It made me look at RL in a different way too. I learned a lot about myself, skills I never thought I even had and about society worldwide in general. It thought me about ppl and made me see the similarities and differences and made me appreciate some and dislike others.

At times a pretty landscaped sim can still make me go Aahhhhhh and maybe as time goes by it will make me feel dazzled again like it used to. Until then I keep logging in coz I still like to create things. In some way that is my attempt to try and create the Aahhhh-feeling for others and maybe even for myself a bit.

i discovered  on sencond life that i have a  talent for spinning on my head kinda break  dancing...... i never knew i was so agile and supple.......long may it continue :)............ps and i can also multi task cos i can chat in  local or in im at the same time

Nacy Nightfire wrote:

If no one read or responded to this posting I would be content.  If someone had a similar experience to comment on, I would have found a soul-mate and been overjoyed.

No one is putting a gun to my head and insisting I socialize in SL while watching avatars spinning around doing "routine" animations as if they were dancing.  Yet I once did.

Wait....no one held a gun to your head...but YOU did hold a gun to your head? I have nothing but confusion to express, as usual.

Hold on, the silly forum line thingy got deleted...I took a few seconds to make sure it didn't...now all this will be mixed. Horrible flaw...I will not complain to the forum makers so they will continue to look silly and will watch others make the same mistake and this makes me not look so silly...just in case I still do this when they fix the flaw.

I like movement to. But, I chat with my back to the person...usually due to focusing on something OR not focusing on them or me. I guess I need to follow the text...I guess. I will end up standing away from the person with my back to them frequently.

I don't chat anymore though, this was way back at mooz....that place is gone now. So many places are these days. I now run around and watch stuff move around on the screen and try to wait fro my brain to allow me to work on stuff or to get more ideas. Odd, yes. But seems to be all I can do sometimes!

• 1 month later...

Nacy Nightfire wrote:

>>It was fun at the time and it's like it happened to another person. I have reached a point when "suspension of disbelief" ended and for me it was an abrupt end.<< 

It will be two weeks this coming Sunday since I discovered SL. In the back of my mind, I recognize that the same thing you describe is going to happen to me. If I can't figure out how to keep from crashing so often, it might happen sooner rather than later. But in the meanwhile, I'm having fun. The very first people I met were DJs & dancers, and I love watching the dance animations while listening to the music. I don't want for that switch in my head to be flicked off... at least not yet. But when it happens, no regrets. I'll just go on to something else.

Jeanne

Oh, I totally get this. I never ever could stand SL "dancing". I swear I have imagination in industrial quantities but pretending to believe that we really were smooching on a dance-floor always got my eyebrow shooting up towards my hairline. Truthfully, I never really fell for the alternate life spiel, but that didn't stop SL being a blast at times.

You wrote: "...that didn't stop SL being a blast at times."

Yes, indeed. I have many fond memories of laughing so hard I've fallen off my chair crying, just chatting it up with a group of  friends in some public SL spot.  Simple pleasures like everyone pulling out junk from their inventory or sharing and playing obnoxious gestures they dug up somewhere.  Or arguing/discussing about some political issue or news event with friends from all over the planet.

Sadly I think the pressure everyone put on themselves and others to partner (curiosity most definately killing the cat, here, I did the same) causes so much upset to the flow of things with friends drifting off to share that one-on-one experience.  They frequently come back  1 - 3 months later from their faux romances bitter and shell shocked.  All the lightness and hilarity disappears, and in place of that comes the "pain story" that gets repeated again and again, while everyone else silently groans and bangs their heads on their keyboards. 

Everyone else's milage can and will vary. 

Jo Yardley wrote:

I would LOVE it if someone made dances for people like you and me.

The 'real' people who just shuffle along a bit, try to move to the tune but who don't dance like they've been to dance academy and school of cool for years.

No amazingly fantastically perfect dances but charming slightly out of tune maybe a bit clumsy dances, just like oh so many people dance in RL.

I would have a great time dancing with someone to animations like that.

SL has enough perfection, i'd like to see imperfection.

What would be really, really awesome is if someone would create a dance animation of the Elaine dance from Seinfeld:

Yep, yep. I know I spent my first few months perplexed at the sensation that I wasn't getting "it". And for a long time, I rather felt I was the only one. Some guy would type, as we danced, "smellin the perfoom of yuor hair" and I'd answer "Don't talk rot!". I never quite managed to slip into the suspended-belief place you evidently need to go to "play" SL properly. I have to say, I always found the SLex excellent entertainment value. At least it was funny. The romancing....nah....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.