I just bought a new laptop windows 7 64 bit operating syatem; I keep crashing @ login

Aspen Diesel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I get on the sign in page log in.....I can hear my self land but never make it past the first initial log in screen and I crash.  I looked and I hope I am wrong, but looks as if SL does not support a 64 bit operating system....please tell or prove me I am wrong.....I have uninstalled and reinstalled SL 3 times and still have the same issue....the status bar at login is almost full I hear myself land and poof window is gone and crash log window starts to record crash ;(

My system info

CPU:        Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz (2292.6 MHz)
Memory: 6059 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M Graphics card

Aspen

12 answers to this question

Please stay with me as I don't have too much knowledge with windows, but I think windows 7 also includes 32bit libraries.  So, you are correct SL does not run in 64bit but your viewer should be pointing to the 32bit libraries.  

This being said, I think you may be having some issues with your viewer installation.  I would do a comprehensive uninstall, and try again.  

Many people have issues with a first install, but it does work in windows 7.

SL is a 32 bit application, but your 64-bit computer will run it with no problem. Someday, whoever maintains the web page with System Requirements will change the misleading note about "32-bit only".  It is not true.

If Second Life crashes during the loading process, you may be using an uncommon combination of settings that we were unable to test during our quality assurance process. This problem is more common in beta and Project Viewers than in released Viewers.

To restore your default settings without reinstalling Second Life, move all of your existing settings files to a different, temporary directory. Next time Second Life starts, it will create a new, default set of settings files. Get help finding your user settings.

If restoring your default settings fixes your problem, please file a bug report in the Public Issue Tracker and attach your original settings files (the ones you saved in a temporary directory) so we can analyze them and solve the problem for future Residents.

--||-
  • Like 1

I thank you for working with me and your patience...I went into my user settings moved the folder to a temp folder....at sl login page it was under the basic login and did the same thing....except this time it had a space for me to write what I was doing inside the crash report before it sent it....which is only trying to log on :(

Can we have your laptop specification please. Open SL to login screen and select Help > About Second Life. Copy/paste the computer details from the window that opens into a reply here. Use Options > Edit to do this and add any further comments. If the details just show a graphics card series and not the card within that series, please advise the exact model. Alternatively, post a link to your new laptop online. That may be better.

You may want to try using a different viewer. That should not make a difference, in theory, but if your laptop is only barely within LL's minimum standards, one of the Third Party viewers might put a little less strain on it and let you log in. Find a TPV at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory . Incidenatlly, having just mentioned minimum standards ...... I assume that you checked the recommended standards at http://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/?lang=en-US and have determined that your new laptop is acceptable for use in SL.

I have Win 7 -64 bit and can happily say I have no issues at all. So "that" at least isn't the problem .  The 64 bit thing IS a problem  however for lots of programs, so be prepared for that (sorry, but true).

That being said, since the newest Viewer 2 has proved to be very buggy and not working for many folks, why not install a third party viewer and see if that works better for you.  From your discription (assuming you installed V2) that could be it.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

I have installed and used successfully on my Win7 64 bit system, Imprudence, Kirstens, and FIRESTORM (new). I also installed Phoenix to test for shadows and it seemed to run fine but I didn't use it long.

Good luck. Hopefully it is that driver issue in the new V2 and another viewer will do the trick. 

PC info

CPU: Intel® Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz (2292.6 MHz)

Memory: 6059 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Graphics Card Vendor: Intel

Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics Family

NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M Graphics card

Aspen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.