Linden Homes...are they still available?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That's not going to happen in this sour economy unless LL lowers dramatically tier I'm afraid.

Also what would you recommend LL do to encourage people to pony up for Premium accounts? There has to be some incentive to pay for what so many are getting for free and it sure as hell ain't "preferred technical support"!

I'll grant that the program has probably hurt the starter land and prefab housing markets but, killing off Linden Homes wouldn't do anything to alter the fact that there's just too much land for the current resident numbers to support and that tier fees are too high.

and to be honest, I don't care if my home island is deserted. I have a nice view over the river and for the most part I can have my privacy there. What more would I want for 117 prims, the same as I would get for my land allowance, only any building in it would take up prims that I need?

Sorry Pussycat, but when it comes down to the small non-merchant SL user, Linden homes win every time.

They'd do what I and countless others did before the linden homes came out.

Buy one.

I paid 0L for my first few freebie buildings. I lost maybe 20-30 prims and got a building that was better than the ones on the linden home sims. And I wasn't isolated away in some pocket.

Linden homes win for the anti-social self-focused. But it only serves to hurt the greater SL by segmenting those people who end up with them away, and causing a lot of other more diverse land to get peppered with vacant lots.

Lots of residential neighborhoods exist and have existed in past on 512 lots on mainland and estate land just fine with people having enough prims. Go look at Shermerville for an example of this - 512 lots, no double prims - mostly residential. Not too active anymore but you can see from what's built there that in its day it did what the Linden Homes are doing now, only better.

It would have been much wiser for them to give a free building to a premium account - a low prim design similar to any of the current linden homes but fitted for a standard 512 (fitting a 16x32 footprint or less). Doable on 20-30 prims easily - drop 5-6 designs into the inventory of any premium account and set them loose with a guide to how to find a lot for sale, and -both- mainland and estate land would be healthier.

They could then have 'shermerville style' cut several of the 100% empty sims each time those came up empty, and likewise when chunks smaller than a full sim but still viable for semi-neighborhoods (anything above a 1/4-sim).

Home builders / skybox builders such as myself would take a hit from the competition with such freebie buildings - but we already have a ton of freebie buildings out there anyway.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.