about a house

sharlyn Rain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello. i want to buy a full house, but i want to know if there any way that i pay only one time and not every week?

because if u buy a house that cost for example 700L, and a land cost 500L per week, so there is a way that i can put my house on something that i dont have to pay for it every time? i know there is a syybox but i dont know if i need to pay for that... please help me, thank you all

Sharlyn Rain

No there isn't unless you can find a very generous friend who'll let you use land for free. Otherwise, you'll either have to to pay rent weekly or monthly to a private landlord or tier to Linden Lab (if premium and on mainland). A skybox is just a house in the sky, usually smaller though and cheaper to rent.

You put this in "Mainland" but I'm not sure if you are talking about buying land on whats called "Mainland".  If you buy a plot of land on mainland the ownership of the land is tranfered from the seller to you and if the plot is larger than 512 sq meters you will pay a monthly tier directly to Linden Lab......not to some other resident.  It sounds like you are renting from another resident and paying a downpayment (most likely non-refundable) up front and your weekly rent is whatever you agreed to when the "seller" (who is really your landlord).  Most probably you are not "buying" land on mainland but on a private estate.  If you were to buy land on mainland you get total ownership and you would only pay LL by the month (not the week).  You can also rent on mainland but if anyone ever asks for a "purchase" and they don't transfer ownership to you they are a scam.........AR them.

If you go premium, you pay $10 USD (or some suc hamount if you're in another country) per month to Linden.  With premium membership comes the right to own land, a 512 squar meter alottment to your total tier amount that you don't need to pay extra for, and the opportunity to own a free pre-fab Linden Home in a Linden-owned pre-fab neighborhood should you choose to do so.

Paying an additional monthly fee to Linden will allow you to increase your tier and own even more land.  You can think of tier as being like property tax.

If you'd rather not pay Linden each month, then you'll need to be either "homeless", or find a friend who'll let you build on their land, or find a place that is renting land.  Renting on the Mainland can be risky, as the land is "no covenant".  You can think of this as renting in the real world without the benfit of a lease.  That said, sometimes folks do put in the land description that you agree to the "lease" in a notecard they send you, or posted on their website.  If you rent from a rpivate estate, there will be a covenant.

As someone else stated, the only way you'll be able to avoid paying anything at all would be to find a friend who will let you build for free.  Perhaps one of the sandbox owners would allow squatters as a way to boost traffic, but that's doubtful as they usually frown on such things and reserve permanent buildings on their plots for store owners willing to pay to be in a high-traffic area.

Try to figure out which of the above options best fits your budget, then search around for a place that boith suits your fancy and that fits the amount you want to spend each month.  Don't be afraid to not not have a home for a while while you learn the game:  Even the greediest of landlord's wants her tenants to be happy (at least I know I do), as many renters eventually ask for a rent-to-own option.

(P.S. Just in case folks think I'm advertising, nope, got nothing available as I'm a very small fish:  Just one friend who became a tenant who became a buyer...) 

I believe you can also pay someone up front with a large lump payment and have them make the monthly tier payments to Linden Lab. You would want to find a reputable land renter. There are parcels for rent that use a rental box that allow you to pay for several weeks. I've never payed for over 4 weeks so I don't know what the limit is on those rental boxes. I would talk to the land owner first. I would recommend not going for such long term payment options because you can never tell if the landowner or yourself will need to exit SL.

First of all thank for all the comments. i ment that i want a cheap place,not big, that i can put there a small house so i will have a place and not be a homeless...  if its a skybox its ok too, but there is no way to pay one time and not every week/month?

You can ask the landowner if they are willing to let you pay the rental fee for the length of your stay. This doesn't mean the land is yours. You will have certain level of authority on your land but  landlord still owns the land and they can still make the ultimate decision of  the land.

You can also post this question in the Land Wanted section in this forums and see if anyone would respond to your request.

If you don't want to be homeless why not just rent a cheap rental skybox instead? You need a land to put up your house..

By the way, there is no such thing as One Time payment to own a land in SL. You will still ended up paying a rent fee (tiers as the Lindens call it) every month.

As already said by Qwalphi,  the sky belongs to a land below you ... and No, even the sky won't be fully yours. It still belongs to the landowner if you are renting. Skybox is basically just a house you put up high in the sky.

The only way you can "pay once" is if you get the Linden home. A Linden home comes with a premium membership. 

The premium membership with Linden home is cheap if you count the stipend (do they still give a stipend?) If you get the yearly payment for the Linden home/Premium membership, then your cost is equal to the stipend (spending money) Linden Lab pays you in Linden $ each week. So, yes you pay, but in the end it's nearly free.

Buying a house is easy. You can even get 50L houses, or free houses or free skyboxes. (I just gave away a pack of like dozens of them as gifts. I didn't make them, but they were all freebies.) 

The land is what costs. And sorry, no, there's no such thing as 'paying once' for land. You continue paying a fee for it, whether a rental fee to a landlord, or a tier fee to Linden lab.

Skybox or house it doesn't matter. What you pay for is the land.

The regular payment on a Linden Home is identical to the payment on mainland: your monthly tier. For  560 of mainland, or a linden home, that is $9.95.month, or $6-something a year, or whatever it was for 3-months.

The linden home will be roughly 350L cheaper though - about the average price of 512m of mainland.

For a savings of 350 you get a prefab of mid-range quality, about 20 more prims, and a strict as nails covenant that prevents you from even having a garden or build platform in the sky, or from putting anything in search or putting anything for sale. BUT also holds your neighbors to those terms.

If you spend the 350L, you get a blank plot, and lose about 20 prims unless you buy a prim heavy house (a good 512 house runs from 15-30 prims - less or more and you either are sacrificing detail or wasting prims efficiency). And you have a very lose covenant and can live anywhere from ground -4m (with a few ultra-rare exceptions where you can dig 40m, and 2 exceptions of 100m) up to 4096m in the sky - and can use as many spots in that range as you have prims left to use.

Note that if you spend the 350, you can actually get 560m of land, not just the 512 of a linden home, if you have one basic freebie alt. That gives 9 extra prims, which means your 20 lost from living on mainland is really only 11.

Pretty much any way you look at it, the cheapest deal is the Linden Premium account. Let's do the math for a Linden Home provided "free" with a premium account.

The premium account costs US$72 year if you pay by the year, divided by 52 weeks = US$1.385 per week.  At an exchange rate of L$255 per US$, this works out to a cost of L$353 per week.

However, the premium account holder gets L$300 per week allowance (stipend) delivered to them as a result of their premium account, for a net cost of L$53 per week (= L$353 - L$300).

Then, the premium account holder gets a home and nice landscaping on a 512 square meter lot plus an allocation of 117 prims.

So, the premium account holder's cost is L$53 per week divided by 117 prims = L$0.45 per prim per week.  

Read more about Premium Accounts here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Accounts-overview/ta-p/700019#Section_.2.2

Read more about Linden Home's here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Linden-Home-overview/ta-p/700103

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.