Ever been mugged or robbed in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A few years ago, I was wandering a shopping mall when a lovely female avatar accosted me and tried to aggressively sweet talk me into giving her my Analog Dog wig. I was completely amused by this because she seemed well put together but oblivious to 1) no transfer items and 2) the magic of teleport. Wish I had noted the avi name but it was so silly at the time.

Anyone else ever been "robbed" or an attempted victim of robbery in SL in this manner? And not on purpose in a crime or rape sim? Just thought it was such an oddly random thing to happen. 

there has been cases, once someone come to the forums boasting that someone gave him thousands of lindens trusting him and he wouldnt give it back, that was a case of a fraud.

or another case of someone who came saying that he played a game where he made thousands of lindens and the owner of the game refused to pay him the prize.

you can be robbed in a variety of ways, another example could be the ones who offer to sell you something they are wearing and once you pay they dissapear.

we have to be careful around here, being second life almost an outlaw place we have to take care of ourselves. is a good thing that thiefs cant access our lindens directly.

Rosemina Lusch wrote:

[...]and tried to aggressively sweet talk me into giving her my Analog Dog wig.[...]

lmao :D :D

i have never experienced a "robbing" in sl, but i have met beggars and people who flat out want the clothes off your back as if it was their birth given right.

people are weird. but incidents like yours are just hilarious! :D thanks for the laugh :D :D

I was once standing on my Home spot.  I had Health on my polot turned on.

Two griefers flew by and hit me with a huge missile of some sort.  This "killed" me, and what happens when you are killed?  You are sent to your home spot, so I reappeard almost instantly.

The griefers came back and killed me again and again.  They became quite convinced that I had some sort of magical power to prevent their missile from working on me.  

I laughed.

Ponzu.

I remember this being quite common in MMORPGs like Everquest and DAoC. A lot of newbies tried to earn a little money by posing as highwaymen. I always gave them a little something for their RP effort. In other MMOs, such as UO and Sociolotron, the muggers were very real and often murderers to boot.

SL is different insofar that the muggers don't rob you at gun- or swordpoint. Instead, they play on your heart strings and your gullibility.

I sometimes sail the waters with my tiny pirate ship, me and my crew dressed up as tiny animal pirates. When we see other water vehicles near us, we chase them and if they stop to adore our cuteness, we demand them to give us all their gold, rum, catnip and kittylitter.

We get lots of laughs and people take pictures of us. Once got a bottle of rum.

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

I remember this being quite common in MMORPGs like Everquest and DAoC. A lot of newbies tried to earn a little money by posing as highwaymen. I always gave them a little something for their RP effort. In other MMOs, such as UO and Sociolotron, the muggers were very real and often murderers to boot.

SL is different insofar that the muggers don't rob you at gun- or swordpoint. Instead, they play on your heart strings and your gullibility.

Ohh I remember the UO robbers, I had been playing for about 3 days sticking to the city of Britain, I worked hard mining ore, wheeling and dealing until i had an 'adventure pack' (few potions and bright blue clothes, and a katana of course) I was so excited, headed west out of the city and came to some very nice crossroads ... within about 3 seconds some guy with a red name popped on my screen and like a true newb, I asked if he was a dev. Bing Bang Whop oOOooOOO, lost all my stuff :(

Those were the days.

Don't go walking around the backstreets of 1920s Berlin late at night... we got plenty of people more then willing to help you empty your wallet.

Not to mention the girls at that "gentlemens club" by the canal...

Seriously though, I do feel I've been robbed by LL when they decided to stop giving live chat support 24 hours a day.

Suddenly us living in a different part of the world are left in the dark when we need help at a time when Live chat support is asleep.

Yet we still pay the same premium account fee.

never been robbed or mugged, however I have had stuff stolen from me, been threatened and various other things. SL is abound with cyber bullies and theives. As in coby botters, and people that will threaten to do real life things to you if you don't comply with them. Like hacking your account or crashing your computer among other things. Most of them seem to hang out at freebie places and welcome areas from what I have seen.

As far as being mugged I would think that is a roleplay thing, and I really don't do much roleplaying. Heck I rarely leave my sim anymore lol. I have a staff member that is always coming up to me and saying "give me lindens!" But its just a joke between us. She has way more lindens than I do lol.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.