Needing help with OBJ and MTL files

Haider Rayna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Where can I find all the files needed to create clothing using Photoshop? I downloaded the Avatar OBJ file from second life but there is not .mtl file in the download so no materials and when I add it to my file in photoshop (By going to 3D > New Layer from 3D File > browse to the .obj file) it loads the avatar only... the texture layer, when you click on them, open in new window but they are just empty layers. So I guess my question is ... do you know if there is a place where I can download all the files including .mtl files? If not, would you be kind enough to share yours? :)

Material_Top.jpg

Female_AV.mtl
Female_AV.obj
Female_AV_wSkirt.mtl
Female_AV_wSkirt.obj
Male_AV.mtl
Male_AV.obj
Male_AV_wSkirt.mtl
Male_AV_wSkirt.obj
Material_Bottom.jpg
Material_Head.jpg
Material_Skirt.jpg

Thanks for your help!

You only need the avatar OBJ files unless you want to create animations. For clothing design, download the 2D template files and open them in Photoshop. I highly recommend Chip Midnight's improved templates, which can be downloaded from the SL Wiki: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clothing_Tutorials

You can also find a number of links to tutorials on this page.

• 5 months later...

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

You only need the avatar OBJ files unless you want to create animations.

OBJ has nothing to do with animation.  It's a polygon-only format.  It doesn't contain the skeleton, the skin weights, or any other rigging information necessary in order to be able to animate.

The avatar OBJ files (after cleanup) are very useful for painting in 3D.  They work in Photoshop Extended, or in any other 3D paint program.

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

For clothing design, download the 2D template files and open them in Photoshop.

Sure, if all you want to do is paint in 2D.  But the OP was pretty clear that his/her intent is to paint in 3D, directly onto the model surface.  Otherwise, he/she wouldn't have had any reason to mention 3D layers.

If your experience with Photoshop does not include familiarity with the externded version, perhaps this was unclear to you.  Painting in 3D is one of the primary selling points for PS Extended.  That's why it costs $400 more than the unextended version.

Haider Rayna wrote:

do you know if there is a place where I can download all the files including .mtl files?

I just re-downloaded the avatar mesh files from the wiki, and it looks lie the .mtl files have been removed from the package.  They used to be included.  Weird.

It's not a huge loss, though.  The materials are still referenced in the OBJ files, which means most programs that support OBJ will simply create new materials with the referenced names, upon import.  This includes Photoshop.

Try this.  Import any of the OBJ files that come with the avatar_mesh download package, using "New 3D Layer from 3D File", just as you descibed.  Then take a look at the Layers palette.  Indented undernheath the 3D layer, you should see a sublayer, called Textures.   Underneath that, you should see a further indented sublayer group called Diffuse, and under that, you should see your three textures, called "head - Default Texture", "lowebody - Default Texture", and "upperbody - Default Texure".  Double-click on each of those textures to open them as PSB files, and then hit 3D -> Create UV Overlays -> Wireframe, in each one.

You should be good to go at this point.  Just create working layers in each of the PSB files, and paint whatever you want.  You can paint in 2D in the PSB's, or in 3D directly on the model, whichever you prefer, at any given time.  Changes on either will automatically appear on the other.

Be sure and save often.  If your computer runs low on memory, the 2D fies might become dissasociated from the 3D model.  If that hapens, your changes will no longer appear in both places, which indicates they're not really taking place.  The only remedy at that point is to restart Photoshop.  If you haven't saved in a while, it's gonna be painful, so get in the habit of hitting ctrl-S every few minutes, if you're not already.

If you're using the 64-but version of PS, and your machine has at least 8GB of RAM, disassociation should almost never happen.  If you're limited to 32-bit and/or if your computer is underpowered, it might happen pretty often.

By the way, you don't need those JPG files that were in your list.  If you had them, the first thing you'd do is get rid of them.  They're just solid colors.  Green lower body, yellow upper body, blue head, or something like that.  They're of no particular use.

Haider Rayna wrote:

If not, would you be kind enough to share yours?
:)

Robin's Photoshop files, to which Nexus kindly provided a link, are great.  They're already set up with everything you need to get going in PS.

However, if you'd prefer the raw OBJ's, not already embedded into Photoshop files, so you can use them in other programs besides just Phiotoshop itself, then those aren't the droids you're looking for. The donwloadable ones from the wiki might also be insufficient for you, since they've got some funky geometry groupings, and locked normals which make them appear strangely faceted (artifacts of the way they were exported from Poser, most likely).

I cleaned up the geometry and the normals a few years ago, and also tiled the UV's properly, so that the models are well uasable in just about any 3D paint program.  You can find these clean versions at:  http://abbloch.com/slAvatars_OBJ_Fixed/

ETA:  I went ahead and added to the wiki that last link.

• Like 1

i totally understand the first question.

I also need those files. Instead of trying to find out what are we going to do with them, why don't you help us in saying where those files can be found? If we're asking for that we have a reason. I need exactly those files. If you don't know where to find, any other answer doesn't help. Thank you.

You seem to be missing the point, Atlas.  Even if you had all the files listed in the original post, it wouldn't change anything at all for you in Photoshop, or in any other program.  There's nothing unique or special about the materials on the avatar models in any way.  They're just plain old no-frills default materials.  Therefore, there's simply no need for the .mtl files.  That's probably why they were removed from the download pacakge.  They were just a waste of space.

If you'd care to explain what you think you need them for, I'd be happy to help steer you on your course to accomplishing your goal.  If you choose to remain secretive, however, out of some stubborn nonsensical "gimme exactly what I asked for or shut up" mentality, then there's not much I can do for you.

• 1 year later...

Hello all, I know this is a late reply but I just went to the wiki ( http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clothing_Tutorials ) to download those cleaned up versions of the OBJ avatar models from Chosen Few and the link listed (Improved Second Life avatar meshes for 3D texture painting ) only sends me to a 'search'  with no files there to DL.

I then tried clicking on the links below which are also on the wiki:

These are just lists of coordinates/numbers and I have no idea how I am to use these as obj or mtl files!

Would someone please direct me to the current location of the Improved SL AV meshes? I want to use a 3D painting program but I really need the best and current objs!

Also, if you do know the current location then you might want to update the wiki as well! :)

Thank you!

Lera Keng wrote:

These are just lists of coordinates/numbers and I have no idea how I am to use these as obj or mtl files!

That's because an .obj file is just that, a collection of numbers. Numbers for vertices, numbers for normals numbers for texture coordinates, everything needed to draw the shape. Right click the link, save as "avatar.obj"  or something and you'll have what you're looking for. Like Chosen, I really have no clue why you'd need the .mtl files, but I'm pretty sure you can download them the same way.

Ok thanks for the info - I had never seen an obj file in its 'raw' format so I wasn't sure how it worked. I figured all those coordinates represented vertices but I was not sure how to use that (never occurred to me to right click and save it which what I usually do anyhow).

As for the mtl files, I was simply pointing out that they looked the same - I have no need for mtl files. I stated before, I am looking for the improved objs but the mtls are listed in the same place as well and I thought worth mentioning since the OP brought it up.

But the link there "Improved Second Life avatar meshes for 3D texture painting"  is still a broken/incorrect link that someone should correct/update for the wiki.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.