Blocking Username From Start-Up Viewer

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there a way to block my username from the start-up viewer?  I have people coming over to do some computer checks for me and do not want them to know my SL username.

Is there a way to get rid of it from when SL starts up?

Thanks for any info on this.  I can't stand stalkers because they always end up being griefers. 

Also like what do u do if your computer needs to go in for maintenance.  My username for SL still shows up?  That could cause stalkers and griefers. 

Should I just remove SL program until our computer is done being tweeked or going thru maintenance to avoid the possibility of stalkers/griefers? 

Okay yes, I'm going to do that then.  I don't want to encourage any stalking or griefing!  I think this is the only way I can avoid it tho, is to just get rid of SL for now while our computer goes thru maintenance starting today!  lol   Hopefully, some things will get fixed today.  If not, it's going to the shop for some super geek maintenance. 

Well, first untick the save password box. Type a false name and password in the login box and when the viewer fails to login, just close it. Next time the viewer is opened it will still show the false name so nobody can see your username.

Alternatively, delete the settings.xml file in AppData > Roaming > SecondLife > user_settings folder or just move it onto a portable USB drive till your computer is fixed. Don't forget to move all the chat files in AppData > Roaming > Secondlife > [username] too. Same for any alts. Uninstall is probably the easiest method but don't forget to remove the SecondLife folder in AppData > Roaming as well.

Your username, settings,  logs, saved logins, teleport history, cache etc are all saved on your harddrive in your AppData in a  folder called Second Life. Unless you have set your cache to a different location, you can look in your preferences to find the location of this info (it will show both for cache location and your saved logs).

If you don`t want anyone to see it, you can make a copy and keep that on a flash drive or some other external location and delete it from your HD and then put it back when you get your computer back or you can just delete it  & start over, which would mean losing your settings and having to do them all again and losing any chat logs you have saved.

If you have used any 3rd Party viewers, you may also have folders called Phoenix or Kristens or whatever. They will still be in your AppData & your AppData folder may even be hidden if you have never been there before. You can go to the tools menu on windows and to  Folder Options > View & enable "Show Hidden Files/Folders", in order to see your AppData folder.

Mayalily wrote:

Is there a way to block my username from the start-up viewer?  I have people coming over to do some computer checks for me and do not want them to know my SL username.

Is there a way to get rid of it from when SL starts up?

Thanks for any info on this.  I can't stand stalkers because they always end up being griefers. 

Also like what do u do if your computer needs to go in for maintenance.  My username for SL still shows up?  That could cause stalkers and griefers. 

Should I just remove SL program until our computer is done being tweeked or going thru maintenance to avoid the possibility of stalkers/griefers? 

I'm gobsmacked, to tell you the truth, on reading your post, Mayalily. Why would anyone even need to see that you use Second Life? (Not that it is a guilty secret or anything).  It's just that - and I may be being pretty dumb here with my train of thought - I've had my computer maintained by Dell engineers, and at no time have I felt I couldn't trust them enough.  Are you picking some random people from some dodgy backstreet company (or a "friend"/aquaintance in RL) to carry out your "computer checks". 

I'm also troubled a little bit by the apparent misinformation in your current signature line.  I am sure LL would be delighted if everyone went Premium, but frankly that won't even guarantee that anyone gets their viewer working.  And if, as you say also in your signature line " ... as the advice on the forums is not LL advice" ... why on earth are you constantly asking for advice on the forums?

I know these geeks who all joke about SL being some type of "sex game", not to mention my first day after activivating my adult account, a dude IM's me, seems nice, I ask do u have some time to show me around the adult grid, he messages back "wanna have sex".  Mayalily rolls eyes.  And now I have this griefer who I think is that person I turned down.  It's like if u say no, u get griefed.

Anyhow, yes after diagnostics, it is registry errors (fixed now), software went obsolete (somewhat fixed).  I was having so much difficulty finding out what this obsolete software was because when I looked up the software it said last used March 26th and that is my rez day, so it was baffling indeed.  The software became obsolete after I did an uninstall/reinstall and I've been dealing with weeks of tickets that seem to be generating from Microsoft.  I explained this weeks ago, but was still getting tickets every single day becuz the software did go obsolete but was last used on my rez day and also the software said used frequently.  So I find the website to the software, connect to live chat, and I ask what is this software for and what does it do, and live chat answers back, can't answer that, costs $10.00 just to find out what this software is and what it is used for.  RL bf is not too happy about me running SL in the first place and all the probs it caused with our computer.  He is not a happy camper right now, but he/we are happier at least we got our registry errors fixed, among other things. 

Be careful about suggesting uninstalling and reinstalling because it causes registry errors which can lead to all kinds of headaches (putting it mildly).

I also only found out about a week ago thru someone's signature that said the advice here is not from LL, so take caution or something like that.  I didn't know the advice on the forums here wasn't LL supported until about a week ago from that signature, and to tell u the truth I don't even know if that signature was TRUE or not? 

But please do be careful about throwing away viewers, it does cause problems.  I can attest to that one! 

Anyhow, thanks for the advice on how to over-ride my username. 

I've also said I will go premium if I get a SL job.  My rl bf has me on a strict budget now that our computer has all these issues.  My RL bf thinks SL is virus filled.  So, we got a new anti-virus also.  ACK!  A lot of money went down the drain because of all this, especially losing the cost of our last anti-virus which we just paid for in May.  All that money is lost. 

I'll take my sig out, but please be cautious about telling people to go for the uninstall/reinstall; it's not the best way to go at all.  It's better to get your original viewer working. 

Mayalily wrote:

I know these geeks who all joke about SL being some type of "sex game", not to mention my first day after activivating my adult account, a dude IM's me, seems nice, I ask do u have some time to show me around the adult grid, he messages back "wanna have sex".  Mayalily rolls eyes.  And now I have this griefer who I think is that person I turned down.  It's like if u say no, u get griefed.

Anyhow, yes after diagnostics, it is registry errors (fixed now), software went obsolete (somewhat fixed).  I was having so much difficulty finding out what this obsolete software was because when I looked up the software it said last used March 26th and that is my rez day, so it was baffling indeed.  The software became obsolete after I did an uninstall/reinstall and I've been dealing with weeks of tickets that seem to be generating from Microsoft.  I explained this weeks ago, but was still getting tickets every single day becuz the software did go obsolete but was last used on my rez day and also the software said used frequently.  So I find the website to the software, connect to live chat, and I ask what is this software for and what does it do, and live chat answers back, can't answer that, costs $10.00 just to find out what this software is and what it is used for.  RL bf is not too happy about me running SL in the first place and all the probs it caused with our computer.  He is not a happy camper right now, but he/we are happier at least we got our registry errors fixed, among other things. 

Be careful about suggesting uninstalling and reinstalling because it causes registry errors which can lead to all kinds of headaches (putting it mildly).

I also only found out about a week ago thru someone's signature that said the advice here is not from LL, so take caution or something like that.  I didn't know the advice on the forums here wasn't LL supported until about a week ago from that signature, and to tell u the truth I don't even know if that signature was TRUE or not? 

But please do be careful about throwing away viewers, it does cause problems.  I can attest to that one! 

Anyhow, thanks for the advice on how to over-ride my username. 

I've also said I will go premium if I get a SL job.  My rl bf has me on a strict budget now that our computer has all these issues.  My RL bf thinks SL is virus filled.  So, we got a new anti-virus also.  ACK!  A lot of money went down the drain because of all this, especially losing the cost of our last anti-virus which we just paid for in May.  All that money is lost. 

I'll take my sig out, but please be cautious about telling people to go for the uninstall/reinstall; it's not the best way to go at all.  It's better to get your original viewer working. 

I actually don't know any geeks (apart from the ones in Second Life) who DO joke about Second Life being some type of "sex game".  Second Life is what the individual makes it. 

How have you got a griefer? Have you not found the "mute" ("block") button yet?

When you're trying to sort out computer problems, and you don't have a clue, it's best to go to straight to the experts - a big trustworthy company who would not want to risk their national/internation reputation by hiring the types of people who would be likely to dig into your private stuff on the computer.  Having said that, it is up to the individual to protect their own security, of course. 

SL can cause problems with a computer because it's a very heavy program, constantly evolving due to user created content, but it's certainly no more of a threat than any other website. You just have to ensure you have up to date anti-virus software in place.  I can't advise you how not to be gullible - life experience has to train that out of you.  Perhaps you need to get your own mind also, and not be so reliant on your BF for everything. 

For your general information - and I'm sure you weren't aiming your "advice" at me, I NEVER EVER suggest uninstalling and reinstalling Second Life, because I have NEVER EVER seen a need for doing this.  The only time that I myself have ever uninstalled Second Life before reinstalling it, in the three plus years I have been a resident, is for the latest download of the Phoenix viewer. 

Regarding Second Life and costs, you never have to go premium.  Most problems CAN be solved by adviced gathered from the exceptionally helpful forum contributors.  As for the information not being supported by LL, you will actually find a hell of a lot of the information give out time and time again on these forums over on the Knowledge Base.  You probably ought to read the Knowledge Base from start to finish.  You would certainly learn a lot. And LL are adding to it all the time, often as a result of forum contributors' valuable information.

Computers, unfortunately, are not like any other piece of electrical equipment. I mean, when you get a television set, or a washing machine, how many times are you expected to fix that yourself? Never, right? But somehow we're all meant to know how to take the back off a computer and tweak around with it! So, actually, my advice would always be, DO NOT MEDDLE WITH THINGS YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND.  ALWAYS GET AN EXPERT. USE THE INTERNET, READ REVIEWS, WORD OF MOUTH FROM TRUSTED FRIENDS ALSO.

And read my signature line. I've had it for all my time in Second Life, and will have it until the day I die. Because that one is the truth.

Mayalily wrote:

Huh?

I'm really confused by this.  You give advice here quite often so unless you happen to work for LL how can you possibly not know this?

I never said u told me, too!  I don't know where u got that idear? 

And that griefer already created an alt.  He was in a newbie avatar, tho when I wrote the thread about finding other dance animations other than Henmation or Sinewave, and the first one mentioned Akeyo; a newbie avatar shows up, griefs on me, and the username of this newbie avatar was very close to the name Akeyo; don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure that one out.

Every troubleshooting thread just about on these forums says switch viewers; that is not the best advice to give out; but when I say that, that doesn't mean it came from your advice.  It's just the general forum advice in just about every troubleshooting thread there is on here. 

And I've been trying to tell people, it's NOT the best way to go to just ditch a viewer.  I know I'm the one who's been dealing with these tickets from Microsoft.  Charolotte should remember because she was the one helping me in regards to this software that went obsolete from the registry errors, as her and I were speaking about what this software could be in open forum, and if I should remove because it would not update no matter how many times I tried (therefore it was rendered obsolete) and I had tickets every single day from Microsoft.  I didn't want to just delete this software because it correlated with my rez day, March 26th.  Last used March 26th, used frequently it said.  So it seemed like a type of software generating from SL because it correlated with my rez day.  I'm explaining what happened, not necessarily speaking to you about everything.

And all cybergeeks now what SL is.  It's a big joke to them for some reason, because yes SL is what u make it; doesn't mean u won't get griefers, especially once they know your real name and your username. 

Anyhow, diagnostics showed I was correct; uninstalling and reinstalling the viewer can and does cause registry errors, renders software obsolete, etc.  Because quess what, that's what they found first!  Not to mention a bunch of viruses; so we needed a new anti virus.  I had to do a lot of checking on this because I have been dealing with Microsoft tickets for what seems like an eternity.  I must have submitted 1000 send reports to Microsoft because of this.  Look, myself and my boyfriend lost a lot of money that went down the drain because of this advice.  So I think we are a little entitled to be just a little p.o.'d, and I really don't want to hear about it anymore. 

If people keep suggesting for people to switch viewers like that is such a great solution; there is nothing I can do about that period because it happens here on the forums every single day.  Cost us a boat-load just to fix. 

I don't get what u people are p.o.'d about.  We're the ones who lost the money; not you. 

And it doesn't matter what kind of company it is.  Real name/username is ripe game for griefing attacks.  And, of course, they go thru everything on your computer.  It's like checking a car; they need to run a diagnostics to see where the problems are generating from.  That just seems logical to me and is not necessarily "snooping" but they are still going to do it. 

Being told to "switch viewers" is not the same as being told to reinstall. Switching viewers is a valid troubleshooting tool because if the problem only shows up on one viewer you can stop looking at connections, hardware or avatar (account) problems and concentrate on looking for a viewer specific problem.

There are also times that reinstalling a viewer IS a valid option & your comments that make it sound like it is the next worst thing to a virus attack  is misinformed scaremongery.

@ Well, I disagree after what I've been through.  It's better to get your original viewer working and be patient with it. 

Also, my signature, generated from this thread which I posted in before I started this thread:  Again, we're the ones who lost money because of this, not you people.  We did!  Not you! 

I'm trying to help on here, not hurt anyone.  I know that is not your intention either... but that still doesn't make ditching viewers and uninstalling and reinstalling a necessarily good solution.  I was trying to tell this person to get V2 working in order to save them the problems I've had to endure.  I knew this was going to cost money just to fix all these registry errors, obsolete software.  Anyhow, I was right; as this is exactly what happened to our computer - registry errors, obsolete software, harmful junk on our computer. 

I really don't want to hear about it anymore.  We are the ones who lost money, not any of you. 

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Viewer-2-7-4-makes-EVERYTHING-including-my-avatar-and-sims/td-p/980229

Hmm not sure why you are telling me about your signature or losing money, I never mentioned either. I don`t know what that link was supposed to prove either, apart from that you are not familiar with common methods of troubleshooting & that you tried to take that thread off topic with a discussion about when V1 viewers will stop working lol :D

I hope you get your computer fixed. As Marigold said, if you are not able to fix it yourself, send it to an expert. If you had a messed up registry it was more likely thats why SL didn`t work rather than the other way around.

Good luck :)

Mayalily, you're only in Second LIfe a few months and you're telling people who have been in Second Life years not to advise people to uninstall and reinstall Second Life as a way of dealing with some issues. Like Peewee, I'm not sure why you quoted that link other than maybe it's because I recommended a full uninstall/reinstall in that thread to try and resolve a problem.

I'm in Second Life nearly five years and during that time I must have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled Second Life hundreds of times. Even on my current computer which I bought in 2010, I've done this dozens and dozens of times with no consequences other than good ones, correcting problems and keeping up to date with new viewer releases.

What really puzzles me is that you are not connecting the bunch of viruses found on your computer with your registry problems. To quote you " Anyhow, diagnostics showed I was correct; uninstalling and reinstalling the viewer can and does cause registry errors, renders software obsolete, etc.  Because quess what, that's what they found first!  Not to mention a bunch of viruses; so we needed a new anti virus."  

Yes, good idea, get a decent anti-virus program and firewall and use CCleaner to keep your registry clean of obsolete soiftware keys. In the meantime, I'll go on recommending uninstall/reinstalls if I think it will help solve a problem.

I have to say, my mind is blown away by this thread... Do you honestly think a computer tech (who probably services multiple computers a day) is going to care about your second life username? I can assure you that they see FAR worse and FAR more interesting things on peoples computers than giving a damn what your username is.

Even if they did care, what makes you think they would stalk or grief you? Contrary to your belief, most poeple really are decent and not out to "get you". I think the chances of this happening are about the same as me winning the lottery tomorrow, coming from someone with many alts and plenty of time in the darkest places of the SL grid, I can say I have never once been stalked or griefed in a way that caused me any short or long term problems.

Let me just say this, chances are you have far more juicy skeletons in your closet still lingering around your pc that you think you've gotten rid of a long time ago that will provide him with much more amusement than your association with Second Life.

Also, it sounds like whoever your go-to guy is, he is most likey laughing all the way to the bank with your "lost money" All these things you claimed to have paid for are available for free and will cover all security needs. Keep in mind that the smaller companies that offer free basic versions of their sofware often go above and beyond the big brand names, so paying more doesn't always get you more.

Avast! Antivirus = Free

CC Cleaner = Free

MalwareBytes Basic = Free

Running Firefox with NoScript and Adblock on an updated and patched current OS.

Mayalily I have no idea why you are blaming Secondlife for a virus filled computer. 

If you did have a virus or two, it would interfere with your registry and could damage files resulting in so-called "obsolete software".   These symptoms could remain hidden until you actually try to do something that entails changes to your registry.  Since changes to the registry are often needed to remove a self-replicating nasty that reinstalls itself at when your computer boots/starts-up, many of these nasties will react to changes in the registry and can become obviously symptomatic accordingly.

Ayrea wrote:

Also, it sounds like whoever your go-to guy is, he is most likey laughing all the way to the bank with your "lost money" All these things you claimed to have paid for are available for free and will cover all security needs. Keep in mind that the smaller companies that offer free basic versions of their sofware often go above and beyond the big brand names, so paying more doesn't always get you more.

Avast! Antivirus = Free

CC Cleaner = Free

MalwareBytes Basic = Free

Running Firefox with NoScript and Adblock on an updated and patched current OS.

I only hope that her tech support guy remembered to delete the system32 folder or she could find herself reinfected all over again.  That booger can be a really tough one to get.

(Ok, I know that was mean but I couldn't resist)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.