GX 260 SFF Graphics Card?

JoshBedlum

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!  I finally got online!  One of the first things to do, of course, is get on SL!

But, my cheap computer, an old Dell GX 260, one of the skinny ones, 

doesn't meet the minimum specs, due to a lack of Graphics Card.  I can get to SL

but I  walk like I'm drunk.

Does anyone know of a Graphics Card that will fit a Dell GX 260 SFF with WinXP,

that meets SL minimum requirements?

I don't really trust computer sales people; they tend to ignore things like killing the

power supply....

Thank you for any info you can give.

Josh B.

The GX 260 SFF is too old and too small to be worth upgrading. But if you really want to you need a low profile AGP card which limits your choices to 6+ year old low end cards. Something like this is the best you can hope for. I personally would not spend any money on that machine, $300 will get you a brandnew lowend system that's 10 times faster.

From what i know about dells is that their machines use proprietry hardware, which means they need to be dell products for them to work, if your machine didnt come with a graphics cars and no other models of them had one in, you'd be hard pressed to find one.... best thing to do is what previous poster said and get a new system thats more powerfull.

I don't trust computer sales people either, and I've been building my own computers for years.  It may be that a Dell can accept a standard video card, as long as the motherboard has a compatible slot.  However, you really  do need a system that will run with a PCI Express 2.0 or 2.1  plus.  Having a powerful computer, and especiailly a modern graphics card, makes a dramatic difference.

Dell computers do have a lot of hardware issues, though:  if you try to use a non-Dell power supply in a Dell, you will likely burn-out both the power supply and the motherboard.  It seems that Dell uses the same connector for the power supply, but they moved all the wires around to suit them.  I'm sure there are other hardware issues....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.