Crash Logger after 'Initializing VFS'

Lord Gossamer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hep...in Trouble! (Even my Geek Squad buddies couldn't solve this one.) I've been using Viewer 2.7.2 but after downloading the 2.7.4 update, I get these nasties just after the Initializing VFS box vanishes: Second Life Crash Logger, a flashing box that says Gathering Hardware Information and App may appear Frozen. Then the SL Icon in the task bar goes away. I've tried lots of fixes in the last few days then in desperation (deep breath) restored my computer to factory settings.  (Yup, little black box clean as a whistle)......Now I can launch Viewer in Basic Mode (one time only) but if I try to log back on (in Basic or Advanced) I get that horrid report again, so I can't even get in to clear my viewer cache. To clear cache manually I looked for the APPDATA in my files, but there is none. I've uninstalled/reinstalled SecondLife, used disc cleanup/defrag and Kaspersky cache cleaning. On one try I even uninstalled Kaspersky before I installed the Viewer, but with same results. I've gone to Wiki and downloaded 2.7.2 again, BETA, and 1.23, also with same results. Now is THAT odd? Any help would be magnificent! Much thanks, LG

9 answers to this question

1. The newest update has caused much heartache, you may want to install a previous version. 2. When you do the clear cache which is the standard fix for vfs issues, the app data folder is usually hidden, you would have to enable view hidden folders in your computer.

Hey buddy I am experiencing the *exact* same thing. Word to word same. Even I got fed up and tried doing a number of things to fix it, but nothing has worked. I even tried opening with the 1.23 version, but no luck. I lost count of the number of times i tried unisntalling and reisntallin, clearing the cache etc etc

Finally I uninstalled the whole secondlife package from my system for good, including the files from the appdata, deleted it all, went to my old secondlife setup of viewer 2.7.2 and now it is running like new!

I also disabled the automatic update option from the preferences menu. Incidentally, I started having this problem with version 2.8 onwards and especially the last version which is 2.8.0.236429

Hello!  This problem has nothing to do with Second Life.  It has everything to do with your graphics driver.  You should follow  SL protocol and delete two folders before doing the following.  Using Windows Explorer, move to your user name, AppData, Local and delete the Second Life folder.  Then move to AppData, Roaming, and delete the Second Life folder.  (This will erase all your logs.  If you wish to save them, you can just rename the Local Second Life folder and move them back later when all is working to the newly created AppData, Local, Second Life folder.)  Reboot and try SL Viewer.

If that doesn't work, then this will.  By way of explanation, something has corrupted your graphics driver.  Solution:  The easiest for Windows is to go to your Control Panel, System, Device Manager, and then find your Display Adapters.  Note down the name of your adapter.  Click update.  Try SL again.  If not, then go to your Control Panel, System, Device Manager, and then find your Display Adapter again, and uninstall it (don't worry).  Then reboot the computer.  It will reinstall it automatically upon your re-boot.  If that doesn't work, then you will need to go to your display adapter manufactor's webpage and download the most current driver.  When that is installed, it will work :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.