Black plague - all textures go black

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First, ever trying to get help in Second Life is a painful and frustrating experience. It's insane. Nothing links to anything. For example, it's ludicrous that there are community help forum pages for anything but logging on, because you'd think SL would be a place for *inworld* social networking to solve SL problems.

Second, my problem is all textures show as 100% black -except my skin and land.

This started three days ago. But went away the next day. It also did not affect a second account I have. But the second day, it was a problem in both accounts.

I changed computers. Both accounts were fine, but now my main account at computer has the problem.

I searched help. I got an archived post which said to turn off all shaders, but did not say how to do that, and I spent an hour last night trying to do that, and gave up.

A different archived post said, 'clear both online and offline caches'. And it provided a link to find out how to do that, and that link doesn't work.

So I kept searching for how to clear caches, and I found one, and the information gives is wrong. I have a Windows 7 computer, and I do not have a place c:\users\<username>\... at all.

So I'm f'ed.

Any guesses how to stop this?
Any guesses why SL is designed to do this?

to clear cache manually

(Win 7) - C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife and
C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Secondlife

Delete everything in those folders and restart first your computer and after the program. Usually the folder Appdata is a hidden folder. (Windows Tools \ Folder Options \ View & enable Show Hidden Files/Folders)

I underline that if you have installed more than 1 viewers you must to do it for all of them, following the same paths in your hard disk.

For example: C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ PhoenixViewer

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clearing_the_cache

A detailed explaination of your Preferences Menu

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Preferences_window#Graphics_tab

You might be using the highly successful Basic mode, you will need to switch to Advanced Mode. You do that at the login screen for SL.

Ah, you're wrong, but I caught it,---my app data is in my ThawSpace o:/ drive.

I have tried it once, and it didn't work.

I can tell something is NOT getting cleared, because when I reload and start Second Life, it still has my name already entered in the place where i would enter it, so something is not getting deleted.

from what little I just read about "thaw space"  I don't think the data needs to be saved like that. Did someone put the file in thaw space?

Thawspace is a feature of DeepFreeze, a program that ordinarily prevents users ( even administrators) from changing settings on Windows,  

Is it that Thawspace?

I set it to clear inworld cache.

I cleared my own cache.

Both twice.

I uninstalled the program.

I rebooted.

I reloaded.

**Same damn black textures everywhere.**

So I'll go to the older version, but that's viewer 1.13, right?

What a dumb system. You think LL would want a view for it's own system. perhaps they can't design one?

Well, aside from the latest 2.X LL viewer, I don't want to get used to anything else, so the 1.23 is fine.

They should always have a link to the last previous stable version, but if they do, I don't see it.

I'll just have to stick with the old until another version comes out.

Thanks so much for your help. Just knowing someone else is out there makes it easier. : )

I have the black texture problem also.

Here's the link to the previous version installer (2.7.2)

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/2.7.2

If you choose to run this go to Preferences, Setup, Software updates and choose "download and install updates manually".  This will stop the prompt to install 2.7.4

If you choose to stay with 2.7.4 go to Preferences, Graphics.  Click Advanced then uncheck basic shaders.  This will bring the textures back but you will miss out on water reflections and a pretty sky.

I had the same problem after installing the latest update. I fixed the black texture problem with uninstall secondlife, Update my graphic card drivers and install Second life again. Only problem i still have is that some of the sculpty objects not good rez (they keep looking like a donut/torus) Even after uninstall install again some settings didnt get removed. Looks like the uninstall didnt remove everything.

My recommendation to everyone is to forget the LL viewer.  It is no good.  My friends' screen went black using the latest version and I couldn't even log on before it crashed.  I tried everything:  returning my computer to previous configuration, uninstalling SL and re-installing to no avail  Finally I installed a different viewer, Phoenix, instead of the one supplied by Linden Labs.  My friend did the same after he, too, tried everything to get out of the black.  We are very happy with the Phoenix viewer.  It works beautifully and, after getting used to it, I actually prefer it to the Linden Labs viewer.  The screen is less cluttered and more user friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

Just posting to update this thread that the "black plague" is still a problem with the latest viewer.  A faculty member using Second Life is having this problem and trying to walk them through the cache clearing process is NOT pleasant.  I hope someone at LL is investigating why this problem keeps occurring.

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.