I need help i have a video card driver problem when starting up second life.HELP PLEASE!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i have an dell LATITUDE D600 WINDOWS XP MICROSOFT i do not know what my video card is i have had this message for about  like a year or so  and need help on knowing what kind i have and  what to download with out paying or find an update. I use  the viewer 2 it says.. second life in unable to run becuse your video card driver did not install properly ,are out is date, orare for unsupported hardware.please make sure u have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest try reinstalling them          

if u contine to receive this message,contact the second life portal.

1 answer to this question

There are many free computer audit programs out there that will tell you everything you want to know about your computer.  One of the oldest and most well known is Belarc Adviser:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Download it and install it.  Run an audit and it will list everything about your computer, it's software, the drivers installed and how current your system updates are.  It won't give you any links to updating the software that needs to be updated but it will give you either the version number (which will tell you if it's up to date or not) or that it's out dated.

Another, simpler, way that is not nearly as comprehensive is to launch your viewer and under the "Help" menu click on "About Second Life".  You'll see your basic computer specs, including what graphics adapter is present and, possibly, the driver version.  Copy that and paste back here.  Someone will be able to provide a link to a driver download site for your adapter.  Video drivers (actually drivers in general) are almost always free.

To add information or more comments to this thread go to "Options" at the top right of the text box and click on edit.  Then just add your comments or information below what you've written already.

Edit:

I just Google your Latitude D600 and looked up the driver for you video.  I'm going to say that computer is pretty dated.  The latest driver was released in 2005 and it's very possible your computer will not be able to run SL.  It's worth a try, I guess.  My assumption is that nothing has changed in that computer since it was purchased in the video department.  If anything has been changed or added the driver may not be the correct one...........I have no way of knowing.  Here's the link to the site:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&catid=6&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=LAT_PNT_PM_D600&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.