Script to use while sittting

daivedo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So far my experience with SL is that none my scripts work while I'm sitting. So I can drink my coffee while I'm standing, but if I'm sitting , I'm literally pouring my coffee all over my shirt. I do i find specific scripts that are specifically designed to work while I'm sitting?

I don't think this has to do the way the scripts are written but more of the way the animation were made. What you need is to have someone to make you an animation designed for a person who is sitting. While you can adjust your position vectors I do not think scripts will adjust the limbs positions.

Your best bet is to shop around for dining animations instead.

Yup, the best animations for things actions like drinking while sitting are built right into the sit animation itself.  If you do an exhaustive search, you might find a ready-made animation that you can buy and add to your chair or whatever.  Chances are good, though, that you'll only find custom animations that were made for order for a particular builder.  That's probably what you'll have to do too.  Either hire an animator to create one for you or learn to do it yourself.   In any case, Ceres is right.  This isn't a scripting question.

As the others have said, it's an issue with conflicting animations rather than scripts.    Animations all have priorities assigned to them by the person who makes them, so that if you're trying to play several animations at once and there's a conflict between what two of them are supposed to do, SL and your PC know which one to use.

SL's built-in animations (which scripts can call by name, without their having to be in the same prim as the script) all have pretty low priorities, and most "drinking scripts" simply call the built-in "sip" animation.    So if the sitting animation that's being played wants to put your arms in a different position relative to your torso from the position the sipping animation expects, you'll end up getting coffee all over you.

If you are using an animation over-rider that plays its own sit animation when you're sitting, try disabling that feature of it.   That can solve a lot of problems.

daivedo wrote:

I think I can see the difference between Scripting and animation , animation is body movement, and scripting is creating notecards and links. Thanks everyone for the info, it has been very helpful

Scripting is, basically, sending instructions to the sim to tell it to do something to an object or an avatar.   One of the instructions you can send the sim is "apply this animation to the avatar to make him drink the coffee".     

You can animate prims by script, but that's completely different -- then you actually have to tell the sim where to move which prim, and which direction to point it it.   But playing animations is just saying to the sim "find an animation called such-and-such and send the information it contains to the computers of all the people who can see a particular avatar".     Your and my computers then know to make the avatar move in a particular way on our screens.

The instructions in the animation about moving people's arms and legs around are contained in the animation -- the sim and the script have no idea what they are.   

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.