Are there any books or reference material for creating specific items like hourse, tables, etc.?

paleontol99

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ive been taking classes on SL but I notice the class is for a very specific item like a stove, or a chair, or a lamp. 

Some of the builds require very specific things.   Does anyone know of any reference material that would show

specifics on building certain items.  For a person to know specific things like Path cut Begin 2.3 and end .943 is so

specific one would be experimenting forever.  Is there a book or reference that gives specific building numbers or techniques?

Thanks for any information.

5 answers to this question

there are many tutorials out there...depending on what you want to do.

but making specific things will help you to understand what you can do with the different tools.

i guess there wont be another way to learn them.

ev

paleontol99 wrote:

Ive been taking classes on SL but I notice the class is for a very specific item like a stove, or a chair, or a lamp. 

Some of the builds require very specific things.   Does anyone know of any reference material that would show

specifics on building certain items.  For a person to know specific things like Path cut Begin 2.3 and end .943 is so

specific one would be experimenting forever.  Is there a book or reference that gives specific building numbers or techniques?

Thanks for any information.

• Like 1

When I first started building I was very frustrated. This was over three years ago and most of the classes (not all) were of the "Rez a torus. Resize to (yada yada). Hole size ...." variety. I actually wanted to know WHY we were doing things. Typically, that is not how classes are taught in SL. I have taken lots and I taught about 80 hours worth :D.

BUT -- and it is a bit one. Even if you stay in the system and go through the motions, you WILL learn. It gets easier all the time, and eventually you come to that "ah ha" moment (at least I did) when you see how it all fits together and you pretty much can make anything you want on your own. It takes time and yes there are plenty of tutorials out there as well as stores that deal with building kits (purchased). So there are many ways to get where you want to be.

I can say that WHEN YOU GET THERE -- *wink*, it is truly wondrous. For the most part, you can build your vision.

And that is most likely the best thing about Second Life.

Go forth, learn, grow and enjoy!

• Like 1

Try reverse engineering.  Go to one of the freebie places and get a few pieces of full perm junkware that have parts with interesting shapes.  Take them to a sandbox and start taking them apart to see what the pieces look like.  See if you can figure out how to make the same shapes.  If you have full perms on them, you can actually see the parameters when you're in Edit mode.  It's a fun, easy way to get a feel for how some wild shapes are made.

A warning, though (well, TWO warnings....): First, DON'T stand in someone's shop and try reverse engineering their work.  That's a big time no-no that can get you banned.  Second, if you make something that's a perfect copy of something that you used as a test model, DON'T sell it or give it away.  Again, that's big time trouble.

With those two warnings, though, I really think one of the best ways to learn is by seeing how other people have done it successfully.  It's the way artists have been learning to sculpt and paint for millenia.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.