..and remember, behind every griefer is a real-life person!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The subjects of anonymity, fake IDs, etc. have been done to death on here, but one thing occurred to me.  On the occasions when I've witnessed griefers at work, it's the avatar that I feel angry with, it's like te griefing is really being done by the bald-headed gangster in the tuxedo or by the goofy newbie with orange spiky hair and doing the freebie 'kickdance' animation. 

Of course there's a real-life human behind each griefer - probably under-age or an adult psycho misfit, but griefing seems to draw the anger to the avatar.

Isn't that the whole point of griefers?  To give us the diversion of considering what sort of RL brain trauma could cause such avatar behavior?

At least that's how I always thought of adfarmers.  They made it abundantly clear that they were quite odious slime buckets in real life, else how could they behave the way they did in SL?

i always picture something like a few  kids bored hanging out or older bored losers just hanging out with their computers having some laughs at other peoples expenses because  thats about all the fun they can muster up in their booooooring lives..

it's actually one of the few times i pictures humans behind the avatars..that or when they are drama queens or aZZhats..

I imagine some petty minded adult who believes it makes them seem important or self worthy to 'have the power' to do things. That coupled with genuinely evil sorts that take joy in making others feel pain - of which these forums used to have several members of that type.

Both sorts need to be cleaned out to keep communities healthy.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I imagine some petty minded adult who believes it makes them seem important or self worthy to 'have the power' to do things. That coupled with genuinely evil sorts that take joy in making others feel pain - of which these forums used to have several members of that type.

Both sorts need to be cleaned out to keep communities healthy.

im the genuinely evil sort, but pain is often truth, it's the way to enlightenment.

wouldn't that be suffering instead of pain that enlightens? since pain is only a small part of suffering..

it doesn't take a wise person to cause suffering..anyone on any level can cause it..it takes a wise person to be able to deal with it and learn from it and use it to their advantage to gain more experience in life..

Hence,that which does not kill us only makes us stronger.

*winks*

The idea that griefers are all suffering from real life trauma or insecurity issues is a tad bonkers in itself. Most are people just goofing around, and normally stop if their intended victims laugh it off or - SHOCK, HORROR - ask them if they'd be interested in participating in the sim's activities. 

But we could maybe use this as a springboard to discuss the concept of boredom on SL?

CharlesMockingbird Blogger wrote:

The idea that griefers are all suffering from real life trauma or insecurity issues is a tad bonkers in itself. Most are people just goofing around, and normally stop if their intended victims laugh it off or - SHOCK, HORROR - ask them if they'd be interested in participating in the sim's activities. 

But we could maybe use this as a springboard to discuss the concept of boredom on SL?

problem: boredom on SL.

solution: do something else.

CharlesMockingbird Blogger wrote:

there are new people that don't understand the world and may come in thinking it's like playstation and they can play with everyone..they don't really understand the importance of personal space yet..

those are newbie griefers that are unaware more times than not that they are griefing or bugging the crap out of someone..

real grievers/n00bz are Azzhats that know exactly what they are doing and are doing it to screw up someones day or  their SL..basement babies with no life..

games all over the net are full of them..they are called hacks and botters and griefers and script kiddies and boxers and cheats..

i don't think asking them to join in on the sim activities would work with that type of griever..

the newbies ya..the n00bz no..

• 3 weeks later...

I've only ran into griefers one time, and they were terribly stupid. It started off with verbal threats. These individuals were part of a "biker gang", and had taken issue with the way one of their members was treated in my club. They're the types who advertise in their profiles, "Mess with one of us, we'll ALL come after you" and other such nonesense. They weren't even GOOD at griefing. For one thing, they came on my own land lol. Um...eject...band, and .002 seconds later they were bobbing up in the air, and I was laughing at them.

So, if you want to "profile" these types, well here's my take on them. You have some groups formed in SL and they always claim their group, pack, clan is a force to be reckoned with, and they will come after you. Really? How so? Can they pixel slap you? No. Are these types hackers? Generally no, because typically hackers don't overtly advertise their "muscle". They buy huds on Marketplace and use them on their intended victims. No different than a pixel gun.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.