New features in SL

Abbi Hofmann

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've been away from SL for quite a while-almost a year. I would like to know what new features have been put in SL regarding creation (prisms, textures,anims, etc) over the last 6 months or so. Also any fun implementations with scripts and abilities there. If anyone has urls re these topics please post. thank you

4 answers to this question

Prims (not "prisms"), textures, and animations remain pretty much the same.  There's not much you can do without breaking existing content.  Sculpties were around when you left SL, and mesh objects are on the horizon but not here yet. The external tools for creating textures, animations, and sculpties have all improved, of course.  As a result, for example, clothing designers can do 3D texturing with Photoshop CS5 or Mudbox, sculpty creators can make their work more easily with Blender and JASS-2, and animators can make more realistic dances with mocap technology. On the scripting side, LL has added many new functions and expanded others. We can now have control over parameters in child prims directly with llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast (and PRIM_LOCAL_ROT ) and llLinkParticleSystem, for example, cutting down on the number of scripts we used to need. We also have new functions to help monitor script memory, communicate more eaily within a sim, and (finally!) use llTextBox for user input.  LL's controversial push to V2 has brought prim media and display names to SL, along with tools for managing them.  Third party viewers have transformed themselves a couple of times, offering residents good alternative ways to experience SL.

The list goes on ...............   The best way to find out what's there is to get out and explore. 

• Like 1

This threads a bit old but  I saw that LL now has introduced 'experience tools' which I believe will be Linden Labs answer to the RLV issue. Now you give consent one time, at any given location, and that will allow them to 'give you a experience'... experinces could include.. anything..... teleport...... forcing huds on your screen...... etc disabling various viewer functions like flight, teleporting. Hmmmmmmmmmmm ideal for those who want to create a sim where you play by 'their' rules or not at all. Once you give your consent - they are allowed to do anything else pretty much, that is adding to the 'experience'... with a few limitations. Such as not accessing your lindens.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.