please for the love of god help

Friar Homewood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i ahve a top end pc, less than 10 months old. i have a hexcore processor clocked at 2.8 ghz, i have 8 gb ram

i have an amd 5870 graphics card, with fully updated drivers, and no matter what settings i tweak, i can not get over 10 fps. does anyone have any ideas what's going on? i am at my wits end.

I always get a kick out all these "studly" machines..........I really do.  :matte-motes-big-grin:  Here I am with a "semi-studly" machine (if even that) that is over a year old and can get 20 fps in a reasonably populated sim with my draw distance set at 256 meters and graphics set at Ultra.

Give some real computer specs..........maybe someone can help.  By real computer specs I mean what is the hex core CPU?  How fast is that 8 gigs of RAM?  What's the operating system?  How fast is your Internet connection?  How do you connect to your modem/router (wirelessly or hardwired)?  An easy way to get your specs is to launch your viewer and under the "Help" menu click "About Second Life"............copy those and paste back here.  Those specs are very basic and if you want more than general help you need to provide exactly what hardware and operatiing system is installed in/on that "studly machine".

The most recent official SL viewer version has some bugs apparently. If you have an earlier version that worked for you, you might try uninstalling the current version and then going back to that one. A lot of people are having the troubles you are having. Do a search on the forum for "crash" and you will find plenty of company from the past week. An upgrade will probably come available soon that fixes the issues, so for the time being you just need a for-the-time-being fix :)

I ran into troubles a couple of versions back, and I wound up trying Firestorm. I don't have a top end computer, but since installing Firestorm, I can actually see shadows for the first time.  If an older version of the official SL viewer doesn't work for you, you might try that. Firestorm is listed in the TPV directory:http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

Don't give up just yet!

hoenix Viewer 1.5.2 (1102) May 14 2011 18:19:22 (Phoenix Viewer Release)Release Notes
Built with MSVC version 1400 (LAA)
You are at 230427.3, 365942.5, 42.8 in Little China located at sim2188.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.14.235:12035)Second Life Server 11.07.11.235326Release Notes
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor (2799.93 MHz)Memory: 8192 MBOS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit  (Build 7600)Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 SeriesWindows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1086OpenGL Version: 4.1.10907 Compatibility Profile Context
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.20.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8j zlib/1.2.3J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.4.0.697, Runtime: 1.4.0Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1Packets Lost: 93/828495 (0.0%)

ive tried viewer two as well, same problem

oh also, i connect via ethernet cable directly to my modem, no router.  there's no change in my framerate even if i have streaming video or anything going on in the background. in any moderately busy sim i'm stuck at ten. i can have 200 things going, (streaming video downloading music etc) and that has no impact.

I still don't know what your graphics card is.  It's an AMD/ATI HD 5800 series card.  That series came out just under 2 years ago and, as far I can see there were different releases in the 5800 series (there may have been more, I couldn't find any with Goggle).  If your card is a 5850.........it's about a mid level gaming card.  If it's a 5870, it's a full on gaming card (though pretty dated.......it should still perform with the best of them).  Your CPU is not helping you much.........any CPU with 2 cores clocked at 1.5 gigs is more than enough for SL.  SL is not optimized for multi cores and barely runs in multi thread.  Any decent CPU will give you all you need for SL.

I can't tell you why your system runs so crappy.  Mine doesn't and, as I said before, I got a little better than average custom machine.  Intel i5 CPU, nVidia GTS 250 1 gig DDR3 VRAM (mid level game card), 4 gigs DDR3 RAM, Win 7 x64, tied to the Internet via a router for a two computer, two smart phone, 1 TV network on a 20 mbps cable connection.  Nothing special at all.  In a sparsely populated sim at ground level I can maintain 40 to 45 FPS, in a moderately populated sim on the ground that will drop to about 20 to 25 FPS..........at my platform 4090 meters I get over 90 FPS.

Check your video drivers again.  Reinstall the latest.  I hope you are uninstalling your old drivers before you install a new one.

The quick answer to this would be to exchange the 5870 for a Nvidia-based midrange card - sl is developed on Nvidia hardware.

The more complicated answer is that in the drivers of AMD/ATI hardware there is a problem with memory allocating within opengl, the way sl do. I dont remember exactly what, but you could google it. It has bugged me the last 5 years and I do have a 5870 myself, which in performance is miles ahead of the forementioned GTS250.

I have had a similar problem on occasion.... but I dont think it will apply to your situation. 

My computer is a laptop and every now and then it seems to 'forget' its power management settings.  When it forgets it seems to drop into a mode that runs at the lowest performance setting and the processors are limping along at 790 mhz or so.  One way to check if this is happening to you is to get CPU-Z and look at the Clocks section under the cpu tab.  

I haven't used desktop systems in quite a while now so the'not applying' part is the liklihood of a desktop system having a similar power management thingie.  I just dont know if they have them or dont.

robin

PS: GPU-Z might be useful to you too.  At this point i think you need more infomation.

i will try that

as far as the actual card its the 5870/

to the person that suggested that i get an nvidia card...that was sort of my thought too. a friend has the 5850 and while they are getting about 20 fps in the same sim, people with older machines are getting upwards of 30. they all have nvidia cards though.  thanks for all the input!

This is my specification:

CPU: Intel® Core i5 CPU         750  @ 2.67GHz (3911.02 MHz)
Memory: 4087 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit  (Build 7600)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1077
OpenGL Version: 4.1.10750 Compatibility Profile Context

The graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 5850.

Obviously FPS changes from sim to sim and depending on other factors but I can achieve up to 28 FPS using Ultra graphics with Lighting and Shadows activated. With Lighting and Shadows off, it's over double that usually and up to 70/80 FPS in low lag sims. This is using Second Life 2.8.0 (235292) beta. With previous versions, normal FPS would be the same but with Lighting and Shadows enabled, somewhat lower.

Your FPS is really poor for a ATI Radeon HD 5870. Wiith your setup, disabling VBO is likely to reduce your FPS not increase it. I really don't know what the problem is but perhaps you have a faulty card. How is it running with other games.

• 4 months later...

I had decent performance with SL for years (8800 GS, Dual core e4500 CPU)...until I tried overclocking my GPU. The graphics became checkerboarded, probably due to overheating, and I eventually got a new GPU.

My set-up still gives reasonable scores on benchmarking software, but SL is miserable. I'm stuck at <10 FPS in most sims, unless I'm somewhere bland and deserted, and then it'll go to 30-ish.

Any ideas? Time for a new CPU, motherboard?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.