lag and hiccups with ATI HD 6850

George Maxwell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Alright i have had this problem since i got this video card and it does this even on the lowest settings which is not normal.

All my other games play perfectly, heck i even run crysis 2 directx11 on max settings! So i am going to try rolling back drivers to see if it works better, but otherwise can anybody help me with this?

Thanks in advance!

The games you are talking about as with most, preload all the assets into your system when you install the game whereas with SL, all the assets load when you enter a scene.  Since most of SL is User Generated Content, that content can be somewhat difficult to load as most use high definition images and high poly counts which add significantly to rendering.

The 6850 seems to be having issues currently with SL rendering and may need an update.

The best way around this is a lot of RAM (12 GB is optimal) and at least one 1024 Graphics Card.  I run two cards bridged as a CrossFire which works great but in the end, SL does not run like other games due to the reasons I have given above.

I also do not recommend the ATI built cards though their drivers are good, their hardware is not. Asus makes a great ATI based card and Nvidia based cards. They are not cheap as they can run as much as $500 US per card but they do rock.

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

The best way around this is a lot of RAM (12 GB is optimal)

The viewer only uses 1.5GB of ram at most so why would you need 12GB?

I also do not recommend the ATI built cards though their drivers are good, their hardware is not.

ATI stopped making video cards 7 years ago. And epic lulz at thinking their drivers are good. People have been complaining about ATI's drivers since 1992.

• 1 month later...

I have an ATI HD 4800 and I have had this problem too, for the last few months. Despite running smoothly on ultra high graphics for many months beforehand, now on the ABSOLUTE LOWEST graphics the client lags so severely it's unusable. It's like one frame per 10 seconds. I'm updating my drivers as I am posting this, hoping it will work... there have been ATI specific issues with SL in the past (before this, it was sharp holes in the clouds and some other textures).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.