Mainland landlord questions

Harry Hyx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've recently decided to put a portion of my mainland sim up for rent but I was wondering how I would go about it.

I know I need to make a group and deed that portion of the land to the group and then invite my renters into that group in order for them to have terraforming rights and all that but my question is, if I make only one group for a whole bunch of parcels, what can my renters do to each other if they are all in the same group? Any information on setting up my land would be great.

I apologise if there's already been a hundred threads about this but if anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be great.

If you have only one group that owns all the parcels, then each tenant will be able to do whatever she can do to her own parcel to any parcel, which would probably not be desirable.  If having a group for each parcel takes too many of your group slots, perhaps you could make an alt just to serve as landlord.  

jennifer is correct i rent a 1024sqm section of mainland all the rights that my particular group role give over the land i rent apply to all the parcels owned by the group the land is deeded to, it's tempting to abuse powers on another parcel deeded to the same group but i've never done it nor would i ever do it

Venus Petrov wrote:

If one of your renters tried to raise havoc with the others, you as landlord would be able to 'deal' with them. I suggest that you make allowences for such a thing in the agreement that you distribute to your renters and/or the covenant.

Well, this is Mainland (or at least it's the Mainland forum) so there's no covenant.

Also, the landlord can only deal with such problems after-the-fact, and then it's too late.  After somebody's stuff has been returned, or their carefully crafted terraforming messed-up, etc., there's not much a landlord can do to make the victim happy. 

Note that renters can hurt each other quite unintentionally, especially because Mainland renters are often inexperienced with land operations.

Now, it's possible to strip down the Abilities of the group roles assigned to renters and thereby reduce the damage they can do each other, but that's almost never satisfactory.  People who rent land expect to be able to manage their parcels themselves; that's easier for the landlord, too.

So, really, using a separate group for each rental is by far the easiest way to manage all this unless you're operating on a vast scale.  

(Remember to add an alt as co-owner of the groups, too, so they won't go away and you can re-use them for the next renter.)

Most mainland landlords group multiple tenants under a single group. I've tried it. What it boils down to is that you'll be really lucky to break even. Since in all probability, you'll be losing money – subsidizing your tenants SL experience -- why take the extra bother of creating lots of groups?

A practical approach is to have your group own separate lots under separate mainland SIMs. Your tenants on one SIM typically won't stumble across your other lots on other SIMs. So, your tenants typically won't tread on each other's rental homes.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

if you rent out estate land, and you'r the real owner you don't need groups yourself to rent out. You can sell the parcels to rent out and the new renter/owner can use his own groups for that.

You as estate owner can reclaim the land at any time and so have no risk to loose anything.

When you'r on mainland it's different, you can not set different groups on one parcel, but if it are frequent visitors/partners of the renters you could think about let them join the landgroup too.

It only needs some administration to keep up with the changes of leaving and arriving renters.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.