Most popular RPG formats

daivedo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have seen official dice formats used in exactly one sim. It was old World of Darkness, the dice thing was entirely optional and very few players used it. I made a character sheet myself but never used the dice. Most places I've RPed at have been completely freeform, but it's not uncommon to see sims set in, or inspired by, certain tabletop RPGs' universes. Like WoD for example, and there used to be one for Shadowrun that closed recently, and I'm currently playing in one based on DnD/Forgotten Realms.

Seems when dice are used in SL RP, the sim usually has its own, simplified system. So, I don't know. Maybe there are smaller in-world groups of players that play by official rules, but I've never encountered it.

I hope this thread is able to continue as an interesting brainstorming thread. I starting to get how using scripts go a long way to replicate the table-game process. I don't see myself as ever going back to the RPG table-version,because I have such a limited ability to actually visualize things. This is just a list of considerations to keep from losing any of the quality of experience in an RPG. 

The Shadow     Both D&D and White Wolf have a similar description. It is a blurry version of what is real (in-life) in this case. This is easy in SL , just script the area to have globs moving around that are accurate and the rest fuzzy, blurry moving slightly like water. Of course you would add lots of spirits to this area.

The Astral Realms get tricky

The Astral Realms of D&D would get pretty labor intensive, but absolutely mind blowing. White Wolf sees the Astral Realms is actually easy in SL. White Wolf sees the astral Realms as a personal journey in to one's on subconscious, there is the basic structure to it like the Midnight Train, the sequential system of gateways, but in actuality, each player just land marks a set of places in SL that best represents each subrealm.

There doesn't seem to be a system of earning experience points and gaining levels in SL. you can start right off buying the best spells and instantly be an Archmage.

Buy the best sword there is with the best scripts, and you instantly become an Epoch Warrior. I actually have a lot more to talk about , but I'm not going to continue unless someone shows some interest in it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.