what happens when i see a 'snapshot' is taken and noone is arround me?

RyeRyan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

recently i have noticed a lot of 'snapshots' being taken. i never see who the person is, and only have the names. i look around to see if i can see them and they are never in sight. i'm concerned because a friend said she heard the sound just before money from her account was withdrawn. now maybe she made a purchase and forgot or made an error, but it wasn't until then that i started noticing it. it really didn't bother me until it happened in my SL home. noone was around. is it just a case of people taking pictures or is there a need to be concerned about someone having access to my info/account? if this sounds like i'm being too cautious, i can understand that, but i'd like to know if it's just me or if there is a real threat out there in SL land.

4 answers to this question

In the advanced menu you can enable the Show Look AT feature.If another Avatar has their cursor near or on you, you will see it. In crowded places it could be anyones cursor.

Remote monitoring and stalking are prohibited, an Abuse Report can be filed for violations.

Moving to a Region that offers greater privacy is a better long term solution.

• Like 1

Anyone can take a snapshot from a distance.   Up to 2 sims away.  I don't think you would hear the click of the snapshot though unless it was within the normal chat range...........that is 20 meters (maybe up to the distance of shout range which is 40 meters..........but I doubt it).  That's nothing to be concerned with.  Even in your home since they could be 200 plus meters away (above, below, or anywhere in a radius of 512 meters).  The money disappearing from your account is something else ,though.  That would require some script that you authorized to take lindens from your account.....probably in some attachment you're wearing.  The other, less likely, cause would be someone accessing your account........if that's a concern, then change your password immediately.  Have your friend do the same.

I agree with Peggy - money dissapearing from an account and pictures being taken are two different things. If you're concerned about your account, do what she says and change your password.

Regarding Show look at as Knowl points out, in (some?) TPV's you get then name of the avatar looking attached to the crosshairs, but not in the LL viewer. But it sounds as if you already know the name. Also, in Phoenix (and perhaps others) I believe you can be notified when someone takes a picture in some circumstances. Further, if someone use a Space navigator or similar flycam device, you won't see it using 'Show look at' as far as I know.

- Luc -

Addition to what Luc said: The snapshot notification only works if the person taking the snapshot has "Silent Snapshot" disabled so the snapshot animation is played. If "Silent Snapshot" is enabled, you won't get the message. And this of course requires that your viewer actually sees that person, that means it must be in draw distance and rezzed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.