dont you think their should be a rule against people banning people without their knowledge?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think there should be a rule against people banning other people without their knowledge. Like today i went to a place i go to never had any problems no owners imed me or nothing then all of a sudden next day I go there im banned no i.m or no nc explaining why and still waiting for the owner to contact me back giving me reason why

There's  always a possibility they banned you by mistake, ie if someone has a similar name to you, or they were trying to click on someone else's profile, and accidentally got yours.  With V2, and hovertext, I've noticed if you're in a crowded place, you can think someone is someone else, so you often need to "double-check".

Some stores might ban you for :

• taking a photo in their store
  • standing in one spot too long
  • not responding to a "hi" IM they send
  • rezzing prims in the store, and not picking up after yourself
  • thinking you're a bot
  • being a griefer, or perhaps even being in the vicinity of a griefer
  • thinking you're an alt of someone (maybe who they banned)
  • something you have in your profile
  • advertising their Midnight Mania Board in a group
  • being in a "private" area on their land
  • any other reason

Yes, it can be perplexing if you've been banned, and have no idea "why".   I hope the store owner responds to your IM, so you can find out "why". 

(Edited for typo)

if you go to jail, would you like to know the reason why you are being punished? would you like to have a chance to defend yourself?

there should be a rule to protect residents against unjust practices of land owners, there has been cases of land owners that let residents build a business and once it becomes popular ban the owner and keep the business, residents must have the right to defend themselves under LL law. i suggest that linden lab charges a certain amount to the land cost for every unfair ban.

Its my sim, my house, my business, I pay the bills and I decide who comes and who goes. We have clear rules, no mystery about that. Coming to my place, using my stuff (for free) is not a right, its a privilage. Most understand that perfectly, but not all.

We always warn if a rule is violated, at least once. If that does not help, off they go. A simple eject usually works, a ban is a last resort.  Accidentally banning can happen if you click the wrong name, but that is corrected easily.

Its much like your rental house in RL, you decide who you invite. Imagine your landlord would penalize you for that....don't think that would stand up in any court. LL understands that perfectly.

Having said that, we always keep records who is banned and why.

And yes, sometimes I give someone a second chance if they are sincere and have a good story.

Been doing it like this for almost 5 years and it works perfectly.

Where does this ludicrous sense of entitlement come from ? You not only want to freeload on other people's generosity (they pay for the land after all), you want them punished for withdrawing that generosity for any reason you don't agree with. I suggest you go and try that attitude out in the real world, and see just how far it gets you...

Owners have a right to do as they wish with personal propert, just like in RL  However, as a business person it would make no sense to ban a customer without good reason.  So, if you feel you have been wrongly banned you could im the owner and ask why...it could have been a mistake.

Generally we tell people why they are banned but sometimes we have more important things to do.

Especially if I get a complaint about someone, I don't always want to spend time looking their profile up and sending them a message explaining why they were banned.

If people are banned they can always contact us and ask why later.

People don`t tend to ban people & at the same time feel obliged to be "polite" to them. Afterall its not like you can ban someone in a nice way lol :D

You can ask the owner if it was a mistake, but if it wasn`t then what difference does it make what the reason is, because you will still be banned &  they pay the tier fee on the land, so they can ban you for having bad hair if they want to.

i've been to sims that say i am banned  that i was not banned from..sometimes it's just sl being a pain in our assets..

i always make sure i am banned first before i go to all the trouble..if it was from a tp to the sim and getting something saying i am banned..if there is a sim next door..i tp there and see if i can walk in..

so far 3 bans and none of them were actual bans..i walked right in..

so it may just be SL messing with you instead of you actually being banned..

just something to check out to be sure is all..

Serina Daylight wrote:

I think there should be a rule against people banning other people without their knowledge. Like today i went to a place i go to never had any problems no owners imed me or nothing then all of a sudden next day I go there im banned no i.m or no nc explaining why and still waiting for the owner to contact me back giving me reason why

Sometimes owners do this to avoid drama.

I've found this is often the best way. Otherwise I get someone harassing me sometimes for weeks, 'arguing their case' which, as Void said, only lessens the likelihood they will convince me their behavior will change in future. I can't be there 24/7 and I don't want someone who's hostile toward me/my place targeting it for 'revenge' - though I know it's easy enough to get around any ban.

Sometimes just to quietly add someone is the only way in fact. Then you just hope they move on.

Now if someone can calmly and sanely explain their side of it they have a much better chance to change an owner's mind. But don't be surprised if you got muted when you got banned. A lot of people do that for the same reason - to avoid the drama and the harassment afterward.

I have NO idea what happened in your case because I don't know the situation. I do know that from past topics here, usually one side or the other isn't telling the full story. If you really did not do anything, it's possible you were banned 'by association' or even possible they think you're someone's alt. Maybe you broke a rule you didn't bother to read. Who knows?

There are too many places in Second Life to worry for long about it. Just move on. :)

ETA: If the owner has changed their land to group only, it will also say anyone else is banned. This is different from a personal ban. To find out which it is, check the land settings, or try to fly above it. If it's a personal ban (by name) you will be on the land's ban list, (unless they use an orb instead), and you will see a ban line several hundred meters high. If it is simply that anyone not on their access list or in their group is not allowed in, the ban line will go about 50 meters high. Maybe that's true in your case. Go next to the land and you can check out which it is.

I've been considering closing off part of my land. The reason I've hesitated is that I know many have set their landmarks there. If they try to teleport there, they'd get a ban message while they aren't banned. There is no way to know who they are or to tell them. For that reason I wish the Lab gave us all the OPTION of putting a message in with the ban alert.

also I wanted to mention that I NEVER have offered a reason for banning unless asked... but then I only ban for clear violation of parcel rules (which are posted EVERYWHERE), or violations of TOS. I've only had 3 people ever ask.... the rest knew exactly why... (two were full of BS and one was an accident that didn't get erased during a system test)

Serina Daylight wrote:

oh absolutely, Lindens should step in straight away and ban the land renters, that would teach them for being so cocky about what they do with the land they paid for.

Void Singer wrote:

also I wanted to mention that I NEVER have offered a reason for banning unless asked... but then I only ban for clear violation of parcel rules (which are posted EVERYWHERE), or violations of TOS. I've only had 3 people ever ask.... the rest knew exactly why... (two were full of BS and one was an accident that didn't get erased during a system test)

I don't think I ever have volunteered a reason, either. And similarly here, I have some rules posted in the search description (the main one people violate); I have a pictogram rule board by the entrance; I have paid 65k Linden $ for rules translations into 9 languages including the original English; other than sometimes when there's a special announcement, the landing message also says "please read our rules" and often emphasizes the main rules again even in the message itself.

One would think there's fair warning...But we usually ask at least once in IM even then; sometimes give several warnings over a period of time depending on the offense and its excuse; after a while one begins to realize one is being a chump and just adds the name ot the ban list...And then some say "why? I never did anything!"

And that's not even counting those who do much more that they're not confronted with in the interest of "picking battles" or other reasons, but who think they weren't seen...Riding a vehicle all over the place, having sex on the grounds, firing off fireworks for half an hour...they all say they did nothing too.  The pix say otherwise ;p

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Serina Daylight wrote:

oh absolutely, Lindens should step in straight away and ban the land renters, that would teach them for being so cocky about what they do with the land they paid for.

Yes for sure. It isn't enough that the owner has gone without other things in real life to pay the 3600 USD a year for visitors' pleasure or convenience...when they get sick of a given person tormenting them and finally ban them, let's throw them in SL prison too ;)

And then Linden Lab will pay its bills without that tier by...catering to the visitors who want all of Second Life to be their personal cage fight...Makes sense to me too. :)

heh, funny thing, I too went to great lengths, including ~3m high full prim pictographs, spaced so that even at 64m draw you'd still see them somewhere (plus the notecard giver). and someone still had the nerve to claim they didn't know while standing under the sign with a gun and circle and line through it in fullbright red.

mostly it's idiots that leave (or have trapped) orbiter remains that I end up banning or people to stupid to clean up their stolen items if they aren't around

Void Singer wrote:

heh, funny thing, I too went to great lengths, including ~3m high full prim pictographs, spaced so that even at 64m draw you'd still see them somewhere (plus the notecard giver). and someone still had the nerve to claim they didn't know while standing under the sign with a gun and circle and line through it in fullbright red.

mostly it's idiots that leave (or have trapped) orbiter remains that I end up banning or people to stupid to clean up their stolen items if they aren't around

LOL. Yeah, I've had similar claims. 

Your ban system sounds fair to me.

Archived