Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 + Viewer 2.7.4.235167

Daphne Schorr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it's been 5 months in the NVidia forums (and older if you dig deep enough), and it's not exactly a Second Life specific issue it does seem to be an issue across many games that use OpenGL. It's actually an NVidia driver issue. In the Jira LL has updated the OpenGL code in the Developer version of the viewer but that's led to some other complications (crashes, rezzing issues, alpha issues and etc) but they're working through it. It will be ironic if LL gets the viewer right just in time for another NVidia driver update that causes more issues.

It's two related problems, though, isn't it?  There's the general problem with the TDR error firing too readily and the specific one that SL's using the deprecated OpenGL calls is pretty much guaranteed to make that happen.

Matters are futher complicated by the fact that, under certain circumstances -- and, in my case, this is certainly one of them -- the error, or the circumstances that caused it, seems to damage the Nvidia driver to the extent that not even doing a clean reinstallation using the Nvidia installer fixes things, since that apparently leaves some damaged dlls and registry settings untouched.   That happened to me, and after that I just couldn't in with anything.

In those circumstances, I've discovered, the only solution is to do a complete uninstall of the Nvidia driver -- I used Driver Sweeper, and followed the walk-through here -- before attempting to do reinstall anything (in my case, I reverted to the 260.99 driver, which seems to have resolved my problems).    

Innula Zenovka wrote:

It's two related problems, though, isn't it?  There's the general problem with the TDR error firing too readily and the specific one that SL's using the deprecated OpenGL calls is pretty much guaranteed to make that happen.

Every single person who has this problem has said they can log in with basic shaders disable. With basic shaders disabled the viewer exclusively uses the deprecated OpenGL calls, basically the viewer uses OpenGL 1.5 with shaders disabled, and OpenGL 1.2 with VBO disabled. Furthermore most, but not all, people report being able to put the graphics back on high/ultra once they have logged in. In other words it's something the viewer is doing at startup that's causing the driver to die.

Here's another data point, the reason why the fixed function api is deprecated is because modern GPUs don't have that hardware anymore, the driver emulates it with shaders. But almost everyone who has this problem is using a GTX 460, if the problem was caused exclusively by the fixed function api then everything from the GeForce 8 and up should be crashing.

Yet another data point, I've seen people talking on gamer forums about having the same problem with the GTX 460 when running DirectX games.

Nvidia changed something in the 280 driver that makes it much more picky about things than the previous version. 

Matters are futher complicated by the fact that, under certain circumstances -- and, in my case, this is certainly one of them -- the error, or the circumstances that caused it, seems to damage the Nvidia driver to the extent that not even doing a clean reinstallation using the Nvidia installer fixes things, since that apparently leaves some damaged dlls and registry settings untouched.   That happened to me, and after that I just couldn't in with anything. 

That just sounds like the driver is barfing all over itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried latest Beta Viewer 3.2.0 (243350) and updated my Nvidia drivers to latest beta 285.38. Unfortunately it still doesn't work.
It worked only the first time. The next day I want to log in and then my whole machine crashed during login. Had to do a hard reset. After this I got Nvidia Error immediately, driver lost connetion, no chance to log in again.

I am back to Nvidia driver version 260.99 again. Still the last version which works for me. With this version also beta viewer works.

Depressing, I have to used an old driver to use Secondlife... :-(

My specs:
Second Life 3.2.0 (243350) Oct 18 2011 19:05:59 (Second Life Beta Viewer)
[ReleaseNotes]

You are at xxxx
Second Life Server 11.10.07.242626
Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core i7 CPU         870  @ 2.93GHz (2926 MHz)
Memory: 8152 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 460/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.6099
OpenGL Version: 4.1.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 0/227,494 (0.0%)

Depressing:smileysad:

I have almost the same specs:

Second Life 3.1.0 (243176) Oct 16 2011 12:16:07 (Second Life Release)

CPU:         Intel® Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (3392.37 MHz)

Memory: 8174 MB

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.6099

OpenGL Version: 4.1.0

Newer drivers than 260.99 are no good even with that one I have occasional crashes and times when Lighting and Shadows just black out my screen.
None would ever need a modern video card when the viewer can't utilize its speed and capacity

Suzan Littlething wrote:

Just tried latest Beta Viewer 3.2.0 (243350) and updated my Nvidia drivers to latest beta 285.38. Unfortunately it still doesn't work.

Right now the fix for the GL issue isn't implemented into the current viewers (3.1 and 3.2). The associated Jira SH-2276 is still "In Progress". Last message from Runitai Linden was "... this branch is blocked on a quiet few regressions."

So wait a few days more.  :matte-motes-smile:

new NVIDIA beta drivers released;

Version:

285.62 WHQL

Release Date:

Operating System:

Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit

Language:

English (UK)

File Size:

191 MB

desktop: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win7-winvista-64bit-285.62-whql-driver-uk.html

notebook: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-285.62-whql-driver-uk.html

*meows*

Installed these new drivers today (just before I left to work) and how lucky I was I could startup a few times without getting a black screen, which I never got before (took me sometimes 5-10 attemps to get logged in with the Phoenix Mesh Viewer or official viewer)  ......... I will perform some tests later today as soon if I get back home from work....I'll report it back laters *meows*

Im also getting an Error witht he latest Second Life Update Viewer, I updated from 280.26 to 285.62.

Either one of the updates works, because when i start SL, i click log in, and the moment its about to, i get a black screen for a few seconds, then i get a Nvidia OpenGL Crash, stating Error Code 7... :(

Edit: I also tried bringing the Graphic Settings from Ultra ( which i've always used without problems before the update) and i brought it down to Low, SL started right up! wtf... so i went into the settings while in SL, and changed it back to Ultra with all High, and SL is still playable without any crashes or nothing.

Then i went, and Restarted SL with the settings in Ultra to see if i get the error which crashes SL once again.. and try to start it like this again, i get the error once more... well i though it was an Nvidia Problem.. but it seems to be just that Second Life Needs some OpenGL updates to 4.2? only way to get to SL at the moment, is Brining the graphic settings to LOW, then bring it to Ultra while the viewer has launched... apperently darn it, doing the change from Low to Ultra, or any of them,  brings me to a new error+crash Error Code 8

Also went trying to send the Report of Crash Logger, it crashes! It says " Win_crash_logger.exe stopped working"

This looks good but not all problems are gone:smileyhappy:

My configuration now is:

Second Life 3.2.1 (243874) Oct 26 2011 09:44:27 (Second Life Developer)

[ReleaseNotes]

You are at 462,061.0, 305,725.0, 1,131.4 in McFarren located at sim8890.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.41.66:13000)

Second Life RC BlueSteel 11.10.21.243647

Retrieving...

CPU:         Intel® Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (3392.35 MHz)

Memory: 8174 MB

Windows Graphics Driver Version:

OpenGL Version: 4.0.0

Packets Lost: 314/99,057 (0.3%)

The graphic driver version is 280.26. Why it is not shown in the configuration dump I don't know

Anyway I did log on in graphics Ultra mode and all bells and whistles without problems.
It lasted until I visited Old Lar's house.
The place was full (40 people) and the viewer crashed within 5 minutes and as usual the windows crash reporter crashed too:smileysad:

PS: Antalias is still the same i.e. not pretty

Do you have an Nvidia graphics card and have been experiencing viewer crashes while attempting to log in? Did you  get an error screen like this:

Error Code 7.jpg

You have 2 options:

1] Disable all shaders in the viewer control panel prior to login. Then attempt to enable them after a successful login. YMMV

2] Uninstall your current Nvidia drivers, reboot and Run DriverSeweeper in safe mode then reboot and install Nvidia drivers 270.61 or earlier.

Driver Sweeper @ Major Geeks

NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.