Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 + Viewer 2.7.4.235167

Daphne Schorr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Vivienne Schell wrote:

With SL, why do you recommend overclocking and super clocking GPU/CPU's?  Are there benchmarks available for overclocking and SL consumption?  Can someone point me to these if they exist?

Yes. Here:

I do not know how old the chart is, but it seems to cover the Nvidia 4xx release year, which was 2010. Later released cards like the 5xx most probably are not yet among the Top user 100 cards. I think something like the Nvidia 9800 (Desktop) and 3xxM (Lapdtop)  still will work fine in SL. No need for overpowering your purse.

I can confirm that the 9800 works great for SL. It's what I was using up until about four days ago, when I upgraded to the 570. Which of course, works better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've been hitting that error with V2.7.X and newer.

CPU: Intel® Core i7 CPU       Q 740  @ 1.73GHz (1729.11 MHz)
Memory: 8117 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 460M/PCI/SSE2
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.8019
OpenGL Version: 4.1.0

Googled it, saw on the nVidia forums that a new driver was on the way that should address problems.

Good news: nVidia released a new beta driver this weekend:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-280.19-beta-driver.html

Installed, fired up new viewer:

Second Life 2.8.0 (236429) Jul 21 2011 13:12:25

Bad news: Basic shaders are still a bit off:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/isfullofcrap/sets/72157627314399378/

Oh well. (Fires up Phoenix.)

-ls/cm

Just tried it with the new 2.8.1, and sure enough, Basic Shaders are still fail.

I'm making a note to file a JIRA or add to any existing ones this weekend when I have the time to jump through all the flaming hoops, dot all the T's, and cross all the eyes.

-ls/cm

I also use a Geforce GTX 460 with Win 64-bit and have this annoying crashes with the Error Code 8 message. I tried up- and downgrade the Nvidia drivers and finally the new 280.19 beta. Nothing works.

But I found a solution for me to prevent the crash while loading the inworld screen after login. I just minimize the viewer window to the Windows taskbar while the progress bar is running. I wait until the data transfer LED of my router is constantly flashing, like it does when I'm inworld. Then I open the viewer window. Et voilà - no crash anymore. No matter if basic shaders and/or shadow is on or off. :matte-motes-smile:

Maybe this works also for other people...

Same issue, all versions of the LL client.   It went from an occasional thing to being totally unable to log in tonight.   Strangely, the Firestorm client works fine....get in no issues.   However, I do NOT want to use a 3rd party client...but it amazes me the LL client can be broken over every iteration of the code and yet TPV's work..

And no, not going to file a Jira...have no interest in trying to figure out something that complex and filled with folks that seem to exist merely to close entries.

Same annoying problem for me since a while. Installed yesterday the new stable Nvidia driver 280.26. No change. it is frustrating... doesn't matter if I use the actual stable viewer, the beta or a snowstorm build.

I will try to install the old Nvidia driver 260.99 and see if it helps.

Also commented on https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/CTS-657 . A shame they close bugs, which are NOT resolved at all!!! :-(

Keep you up-to-date, if the old driver works better...

... to be continued.

Good news... Runitai says it is being worked on:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/CTS-657

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2240

Runitai: "We're having some compatibility issues with the latest drivers from NVIDIA and ATI at the moment, mostly related to the viewer's use of deprecated sections of the OpenGL API. An overhaul is underway to address the issues."

Amazing... I did install the old Nvidia driver 260.99. (New installation). And this really seems to fix my issues.

No problems to log in again. Not even a black screen when I enable shadows. :smileyindifferent:

At least a solution for now.

But I really would like to use an actual SL viewer with an actual graphics driver on an actual system. For my taste it would be a showstopper for a viewer... *bigsigh* .. well, let's hope, Linden will fix this soon.

Suzan Littlething wrote:

Amazing... I did install the old Nvidia driver 260.99. (New installation). And this really seems to fix my issues.

I did the same and it also fixes my issues. Thanks to Angel Alphaville for this information.

But I ask myself, if the issues with the newer NVidia drivers are related to wrong viewer code, or are based on bad driver software? Or is it a combination of both?

There are also similar threads in the NVidia forums and not all input deals with SL. In my case I had also Error 8 crashes with Firefox and Cinema4D. Now I'm looking forward to new informations from both, LL and NVidia devs.

Maddy Gynoid wrote:

But I ask myself, if the issues with the newer NVidia drivers are related to wrong viewer code, or are based on bad driver software? Or is it a combination of both?

Why hold Windows without blame, since this problem doesn't exhibit itself on Linux?  I'm willing to eliminate the viewer from fault here given the codebase is the same either way, which leaves Windows itself and the Windows driver for nVidia as likely suspects.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Maddy Gynoid wrote:

Why hold Windows without blame, since this problem doesn't exhibit itself on Linux?  I'm willing to eliminate the viewer from fault here given the codebase is the same either way, which leaves Windows itself and the Windows driver for nVidia as likely suspects.

I most certainly hold Windows responsible for this.   Quite simply, as far as I can make out, the drivers Windows 7 helpfully installs for my card, a GeForce GTX 460/PCI/SSE2, either aren't always identical to those available on the Nvidia site or something goes wrong in the installation process.  

Certainly, I repeatedly had this problem each time Windows performed an automatic update and was always able to resolve it by uninstalling the driver and installing a new one, downloaded direct from Nvidia.   And I have not experienced it since I (belatedly) put two and two together, turned off automatic updates for Windows 7, and signed up to obtain notifications from Nvidia of their recommended updates.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I most certainly hold Windows responsible for this.

If you've got some extra space around, there's a Windows installer for Debian that will automatically set up a dual-boot system for you, if you'd like to give it a spin on another platform.  Also "sudo aptitude install module-assistant" and "sudo m-a a-i nvidia" will probably be of use to you if you do give it a shot...

Ah.. this, from DanielRavenNest at SLU,  may cast some light on the problem:

There appears to be an issue with newer Nvidia drivers which have deprecated some old openGL features. I was getting some crash-on-startup problems too, and have rolled back to 260.99 to see if that helps. LL is aware of the problem (ie they used some old open GL code) and is working on updating those parts.

Hi everone I to have been haveing this problem and I think I may have found a workaround for it, however its not the best case scenario. I have been able to get the 2.8.3 client to run stably with the 280.26 nvidia drivers by turning off atmospheric shaders. I know that it makes SL less perty looking, but I would rather run stable than have it look perty

If you want to know more about the technical issues, have a look at on of Runitai Lindens last comments about this :

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/CTS-657?focusedCommentId=279187&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-279187

I would say, in the end its Lindens fault, because the viewer still use old openGL code. Runitai said: "....you can see the thousands of deprecated OpenGL calls the viewer makes per frame. The goal of SH-2240 is to get that number down to zero, which should alleviate a lot of the driver compatibility weirdness we've been seeing lately...."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.