Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 + Viewer 2.7.4.235167

Daphne Schorr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it say this anywhere in your pc

The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display
driver and is unable to continue. The application must close.

Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for help.
Error code: 8

The source of the info is here http://forums.developer.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=5331 not sure how relevant the above link is.

I wish I could post this as second thread, but I just don't see any icons to do that, a few years ago ,I was involved with second life for awhile, and now I'm gain interest again, my problem is that I can't access it without a video card. A topic which i don't know anything about. I just found a good deal on video card for 40.00$  it is 

MSI Ti4600 8x, AGP, 533mhz, g-force4, 128 DDR memory nVidia video card for desktops.

I have an HP pavilion desktop, and I know absolutely nothing else about my computer. Do you think it will work?

By the way how do you post new threads on this forum?

My knowledge is limited as to compatibility, I do know that the pc has a power rating of it's powerpack and in most instances you need to use that internal power supply. An external power supply for a GC is possible but not practical. Second is the slot size and type on your motherboard, the card will say if it requires 1 or 2 slots. Third is the physical size of the Graphic card and will it fit inside the machine.

Some retailers and card makers have automated systems to help select and preview cards based upon a specific machine. You can also call some Box stores and their inventory system prompts machine type and compatibility.

Any high end card should perform very well when matched with a high end machine. My Frames Per Second averages at about 60 fps.

To Post here click on Forums then on a category that will open a list of the threads in that catergory and the button to 'Start a New Thread". There is also a Q&A section for direct questions. This is a discussion Forum.

There are many variables Daphne and I suspect that the Viewer is not the problem.

Use a search engine on the Web to find relevant info first and then refine to search for data on your machine type.

Double check that you have the latest drivers for the card. 

Edit: You might need an API add on but I don't know what that is. WinAPI ? I'm getting in over my head. good luck.

daivedo wrote:

I wish I could post this as second thread, but I just don't see any icons to do that, a few years ago ,I was involved with second life for awhile, and now I'm gain interest again, my problem is that I can't access it without a video card. A topic which i don't know anything about. I just found a good deal on video card for 40.00$  it is 

MSI Ti4600 8x, AGP, 533mhz, g-force4, 128 DDR memory nVidia video card for desktops.

That video card is 10 years old. I, honestly, would not pay $1 for it.

I have an HP pavilion desktop, and I know absolutely nothing else about my computer. Do you think it will work?

If your machine was made any time within the last 7 years then probably not.

thanx for telling me , oh well still shopping around, its funny but i can still get on SL with my tiny Sony Viao terrible graphics and slow, but my desktop still can't do, i won't be spending real time in SL until I find a card though. I should be on the forum quite a bit though

I get a hard crash or driver not responding error with GTX460. Using Win 7. The last viewer ran with no issues. I use Driver 270.61 WHQL. I didn't do i clean install just updated from version before.

P.S. I uninstalled the viewer and even deleted the appdata/local and appdata/Roaming SecondLife folders and installed absolutely clean. But still the nvidia driver error occurs "Nvidia kernel mode Driver" stops responding. so i guess its a huge bug in the Viewer version. Too bad, really!

Using Win7/64 too but as i said 270.61 and not latest 275.33 because the 270 version  run better with me. It looks like this new viewer doesn't support older driver or the one i am using anymore. I will update the graphics driver and check.

Edit: Updated Graphics Driver but same issue occurs. As ever directly at the login just after the message "loading clothing".

This time my PC completely Freezes again, so i must Reset him and boot up my system. Sorry guys im tired of this, i am forced to use a working viewer version.

GTX 460 SE here. Started getting these issues this morning, but had no trouble after updating to the latest SL patch yesterday--and even managed a problem-free login this morning. I can't get in at all now.

This is how you keep people interested in your product: Make it unplayable for them.

Perhaps someone at LL will find this useful

I installed 2.7.4 and splat, as described, justy after loading clothing the whole PC hung, hard-reboot needed!

After repeating this three times and reading the release notes I disabled basic shaders, this time the viewer started okay.

I then enabled Basic Shaders and splat, hung again.

I am now back on 2.7.2 as the reason I upgraded to the new 460 card was basicall to run SL at a higher graphic lever.

Just my experience.

Sids

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU     E8400  @ 3.00GHz (3000.04 MHz)
Memory: 4095 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 460/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.7533
OpenGL Version: 4.1.0

leliel Mirihi wrote:

Knowl Paine wrote:

On my wish list and worth 1$

That is a Geforce GTX 560 Ti. It costs around $270 (for that overclocked one) and is worth every penny.

With SL, why do you recommend overclocking and super clocking GPU/CPU's?  Are there benchmarks available for overclocking and SL consumption?  Can someone point me to these if they exist?

Just wanted to add another point here. My wife was having this same issue with 2.7.4 and her new Nvidia Geforce 460 GTX. Just after "Downloading Clothing" the screen would go black for a moment, and the game would drop, with an Nvidia Error code 8 about the OpenGL driver not responding. Dropping graphics settings way down helped, but was an inelegant solution. Downgrading the graphics drivers by a few versions didn't help any. Downgrading to viewer 2.7.2 has solved the problem.. at least until 2.7.2 isn't supported anymore.

With SL, why do you recommend overclocking and super clocking GPU/CPU's?  Are there benchmarks available for overclocking and SL consumption?  Can someone point me to these if they exist?

Yes. Here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Typical_Frame_Rate_Performance_by_Graphics_Card/GPU

I do not know how old the chart is, but it seems to cover the Nvidia 4xx release year, which was 2010. Later released cards like the 5xx most probably are not yet among the Top user 100 cards. I think something like the Nvidia 9800 (Desktop) and 3xxM (Lapdtop)  still will work fine in SL. No need for overpowering your purse.

Vivienne Schell wrote:

Yes. Here:

I do not know how old the chart is, but it seems to cover the Nvidia 4xx release year, which was 2010. Later released cards like the 5xx most probably are not yet among the Top user 100 cards. I think something like the Nvidia 9800 (Desktop) and 3xxM (Lapdtop)  still will work fine in SL. No need for overpowering your purse.

Thank you for the link.  I was more interested in overclocking benchmarks.  I am not a fan of overclocking; the 'perceived' benefits are far out weighed by the hassles and downside effects of any errors in configuration, cooling, throughput, etc.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.