Viewers

Konnie Larsen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

some viewers you can move to are phoenix, firestorm, imprudence, or Second Life Viewer 2. Those are all actively maintained viewers.

See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory   for  other third party viewers. Phoenix, imprudence and such keep a viewer 1 interface with some viewer 2 features.

If you only want to go with what linden lab has, go to: https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/  and pick up the latest viewer for your operating system.

two unmentioned ones that may work better for you is your computer is at the bottom of, or melow minimum requirements are Singularity (in the TPV directory) and Cool VL (google for it)...both use v1 codebase and have better compatibility with older systems.

Right now there are things happening which make the Viewer you have unreliable. I use the Phoenix viewer, which is reliable and not too different. Check for Avatar Physics support: not having that can mess up a lot of stuff, even if you have no interest in bouncing anatomy.

Various other things are changing, and server support for the old-style search, profiles, etc, will vanish eventually.That will hit Phoenix, and anything else not based on Viewer 2 code. So Phoenix isn't so good an answer.

Viewer 2 is very different. I hate it, not just for that reason.

At the moment I'm using the Firestorm Beta, which is Viewer 2 family, works well for me.

If your machine can support it, I would recommend a move to one of the Viewer 2 family, but Firestorm is the only one I've found usable.

If you do use the official version, make sure to switch it to Advanced mode, right from the start. 

I only mentioned the two above specifically because they are known to work even on PPC macs and are still updated for new features in v2, whereas last I knew Phoenix doesn't. so it's important for compatibility reasons for people running older hardware.

personally I like Phoenix, even though my system will run any of what's out there.

Updating to a new Series 2 viewer is a good idea. But, you may not need to do so for your use.

The things you cannot use in SLV 1.23 are usually video on a prim. The other item is Enhanced Avatar Physics. Without these features some promotional stuff and video tuorials are not visible within the SL world. Genrally it is not big loss.

The Physics Layer si a clothing item that conteols breasts, belly, and butt bouncing. In Series 1 viewers those avatars wearing a physics layer may not render correctly.

So, by using a Series 1 viewer your aren't missing out on much... yet.

However by the end of August we may have mesh appearing on the grid. Then Series 1 viewers will miss out on more and more of SL. So, now is a good time to upgrade to a newer viewer.

If you hate new user interfaces and not being able to find the controls you use, Firestorm is a good viewer to use. It is still in Beta, but it works well. It can be cusomized to be more like a Series 1 or 2 viewer. They have a video on Youtube on how to make the change. Plus Firesotrm is going to be updated to stay current with Second Life.

If you are looking at other viewers, check out my blog with viewer reviews. See the signature for a link. At the blog look for the menu item Viewers.

Thanks to everyone that helped.. I have heard of Pheonix and firestorm.. I know Pheonix will be leaving and firestorm taking over. I dont really want to use the new updated sl one. Everyone i have tlaked to hates it. So i Guess i will download Firestorm and watch the utube aboue setting it up.. thanks loads guys

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.