how can i fix media_plugin_webkit failure on mac

holliehocks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4643 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

I would recommend clearing cache first. If that does not help, it might help to (re)move the Secondlife folder from ~/Library/Application support/. (This folder contains your IM and chat logs, so you may want to keep hold of these).

I also wonder if you installed the viewer when logged in on a different system account than the one you use for SL. If so, it is possible you have to change the rights for the content of the SL program to something else.

- Luc -

A cut and paste from  Rolig:

There are reports that recent Quicktime updates actually cause problems, giving plugin errors. If this is the case for you, then remove Quicktime entirely from your system, then reinstall it.

Check the SLPlugin file

• Relog and open Search
  • Go to your computer processes and look for “slplugin.exe”
    • For Windows users, go to Task Manager → Processes Tab
    • For Mac users, go to Activity Monitor → My Processes (usually by default, but you can check top right drop down)
    • For Linux users, go to Command Terminal, and type “ps aux”
    • You may see four instances of the slplugin running (that is normal behavior)
    • If you do not see any instances of slplugin running, that is the cause of media failing
  • If slplugin is not running, disable all firewall and virus protection (including anti-virus software and windows or other operating system firewalls)
  • Relog and attempt video playback again
  • If it works, you will need stop your firewall/virus protection from blocking the slplugin file by granting it appropriate permissions in your firewall/virus protection software
  • If all of the above does not resolve the issue, you can try downloading the latest Snowglobe viewer and replacing your slplugin file with the one from Snowglobe.

Clearing QuickTime Cache

If you have issues watching movies (as opposed to YouTube videos) it might help to clear your QuickTime cache:

• Open the QuickTime player
  • Click on Edit → Preferences → QuickTime Preferences → Advanced Tab → Empty cache
  • Click on Apply then Ok and reboot your computer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4643 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.