The History of Screaming in Music... who was the first to make it mainstream?

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Actually most of them were already playing professionally before the who were born as a band...

Not sure if I've misunderstood what you are saying, but if you're talking about AC/DC, when The Who formed in 1964 most of AC/DC's members were about 10 years old. Only Bon Scott was performing as long ago as '64, and Akka-Dakka didn't come along until 1974.

AC/DC are probably one of the first bands to put screaming, distorted power chords, heavy drumming, guitar solos and a locked bass-rhythm-drum line together in one package with macho lyrics and the heavy metal look. So they could lay claim to the title of first metal band - although don't actually like the term themselves, and prefer to be called a rock & roll band.

sorry i sort of clumped them all together i guess with their brother george hehehe..i never really knew all their ages..i just remember doing a search a few years back on the youngs and remembered something about  them all being involved a lot earlier than i thought..

it was their brother george that had me doing the clumping them all together..

he was in a band called the easy beats  which was around back then before or around the time the who was born already putting out hits..

i just remember something about one of the bands before acdc having a sound that was real close to ACDC but missing that bon scott voice that i love so much hehehe

i just found  both bands on you tube.

the easy beats which you can sort of hear that tint of ACDC rythme beat and feel sound like acdc had ..then marcus hook roll band which sounds really close to acdc without bon scott..

i think if anyone had a big influence on ACDC's sound it was the older brother and whatever and whoever influenced him..

maybe the beatles and what that brought out in him.. i don't know..i just know i love their sound and they energize me everytime i hear them..and now finding these bands videos..i am really loving listening to marcus hook roll band.. =)

anyways here are those two bands..i just find rock history really neat and how things were before we ever knew they existed..

Marcus Hook Roll Band was one of the many studio projects done by former Easybeats guitarists Harry Vanda and George Young. It featured George Young (vocals, guitar, piano, bass), Harry Vanda (lead guitar, vocals), Alex Young (saxophone), Angus Young (guitar), Malcolm Young (guitar), Freddie Smith (bass), Ian Campbell (drums), Johns Proud (bass), and Howard Casey (saxophone).

ETA:

Sorry i just had to put this one in here from ACDC ..can't help myself..i guess i've just always been hooked on them since i found them in my fathers album collection back when i used to sneak and play with his turn tables we were not allowed to touch hehehe..

I wish i learned more about them sooner..but this thread has me digging even deeper into a band i love..So thank you OP for inspiring my deeper search..i am learning just how much  they had to do with so much of rock history and i love finding it all =)

anyways one of my faves and sorry for straying the way i have..when music subject pops up..they are just one of the things i think most of when it comes to rock and energy and all that good stuff that comes with it  hehehehe

Wow I Lurv In Extremo! For a lil bit anyway :) Anything that combines ancient instruments with modern hard rock is ok by me!

What is that 10 string thing he plays!?!? o.0 (mandocellos only have 8>/4 pair of stings). I want one!:matte-motes-crying:

Here's a little known yeller band from the 80's the Lime Spiders. I inherited a cassette? I think it was.

With: (how appropriate for SL lol) Slave Girl. He sounds like he screams the whole thing! (no video of the original so just a link).

Also in the families vinyl collection is Slade, their lead singer really goes off.. their only tune I really like - Gudbye 2 Jane:

Both of those singers have voices that really sound like they are screaming even though they sort of aren't. I think "Noddy Holder" from Slade, is Robert Plant from Led Zeppelins father! lololol

BUT! the two best screamers? I have ever found are the lead singer of canadian band "The Guess Who", umm (googles).. Burton Cummings! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY-G8MNlCAU&feature=fvwrel

Albert Flasher! I love that old tune! (a little hint of his screamability there)

and our very own ancient and legendary  "The Loved Ones" with Gerry Humphries singing: Everlovin Man...

He was just AMAZING in this tune. (rip Gerry :smileysad:) Just imagine if he and Janis Joplln had a baby lmaooo and 1966 isn't a bad effort! 8^) Just the impact of Burton and Gerry going from low to high is unbelieveable.

Interesting. I knew nothing about the Easybeats or the Marcus Hook Roll Band. The Easybeats have a definite touch of Beatles and early Who in that track, and just a hint of the AC/DC riffs I'd cometo know and love. Given the time the band was around, they we're probably drawing on the same influences as much as they were each other. The MHRB sound even more like AC/DC, especially from their less intense songs, plus I can hear a lot of Stones influences in there too.

I'm a big AC/DC fan and "A Long Way to the Top" is one of my favourites too. Bagpipe solo!!

i love the bag pipes..i bought the braveheart soundtrack because of them..it's so relaxing hehehe

and i agree..i am sure that a lot of them were influencing each other back then as well =)

this just came to mind today..this doesn't have anything to do with screamers or acdc or the who or anything  hehehe

it's just  something my father told me one time about an album of his..

well really i was watching waynes world and wayne said something in the movie about this one album that everyone was supposed to have had hehehe..

it was a peter frampton live album..

he said something like.."who doesn't have that..they issue that album to everyone when they move to the suburbs" or something silly like that..

so i had to see if my father had it ..and sure enough he did  LOL

so i asked my dad about it..he said this song came on at least once a day and for at least a decade and it was played at least once every party he was ever at and that just about everyone he knew at the time had it LOL

he said it has to be the longest one hit wonder of all time hehehehe..he said he had more hits than that but it just felt like a one hit wonder LOL

i just figured for the fun of it why not post it up hehehe

do you feel like we do?

to stay on topic some more screams..really just more classics but they do scream in there  hehehe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.